Latest CC upgrade - 'Range Masking'

spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
Anybody know what this is about? It isn't active on my screen when looking at D850 files.

From the Adobe site: "Beginning this release, a new range mask option is added to the local adjustment tools. Make selections based on a range of depth values in supported HEIC photos that contain embedded depth map data."

What is HEIC? Should we be able to take advantage of this new feature with Nikon gear?
Always learning.

Comments

• Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Only for iPhones Spray
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Grrrr!
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Yes, HEIC replaced the jpeg format in iOS devices last year (IIRC), due to having better compression and yet retaining more image data. The format is not owned by Apple. I don’t know if any other brands are using it yet, but they really should since the jpeg format is a dinosaur and should go the way of the dodo bird.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited November 2018
    I wonder how many people actually edit their iphone snaps in Lightroom as opposed to some in-phone app and also whether putting that feature into Lightroom is best use of Adobe's time and our subscription money.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited November 2018
    Lightroom CC (not classic) is cross platform (Mac, PC, iOS, cannot remember if it is on Android), which is likely why it found it's way into Lightroom.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    HEIC is a PITA since there isn’t much support for it for general use. At least, last I checked there wasn’t
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    HEIC is also on MacOs. There's plenty of apps that can use them or they can be converted by most image transferring software to jpg, I hardly notice it on my ipad pro.

"I wonder how many people actually edit their iPhone snaps in Lightroom"
    I dunno but snapseed is better and faster.

However, most pix I take on Ipad Pro I use lightrooms camera and they're saved in lightroom as dng's.

IMO, these new image formats are great, especially on videos.

• daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    mhedges said:

HEIC is a PITA since there isn’t much support for it for general use. At least, last I checked there wasn’t

What do you consider "general use"? I don't even notice the different format anymore
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member

mhedges said:

What do you consider "general use"? I don't even notice the different format anymore
    I use Icloud and could't easily view the images on my desktop. Or send them to other people. That was a while ago - maybe things are better now.