Nikon P900

Hello everyone: I am an amateur photographer. Birds are my fancy. I love my P900. Quick question. Is there a way to save infinity on the bird watching scene? And how do you do that if I can? Or do I have to put it on infinity every time I go back to the bird watching scene? Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited January 2019
    Don't like to see new members get no reply. In truth I don't think the P900 is popular here but I think you are saying how can I get it to go to infinity focus when I turn it on as it has no focus stop on the lens. Well I don't think you can apart from a quick half click on an object at infinity before you point it at the bird. Using a gun site ( Dot sight) is popular with this camera ..scroll down to find the post.Its on page 2 at present.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    dottied said:

Hello everyone: I am an amateur photographer. Birds are my fancy. I love my P900. Quick question. Is there a way to save infinity on the bird watching scene? And how do you do that if I can? Or do I have to put it on infinity every time I go back to the bird watching scene? Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge.

You should be able to save it as your user setting.

My mom, aunt & uncle all have one and here in nw wyoming there's lots of birding going on. To me and to them the better setup is to use shutter priority mode and average 1/1000 (not always possible on this camera) then you can set it infinity, although I set theirs up to manually focus. It's a bit weird to get used to but then it gets much quicker then the af.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Sorry don't get this ..I don't have much bird experience with my D850 but how does manual focus help with a bird flying towards you as it lands on a lake? I thought 3D tracking was the way to go ,,,,,
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member

Sorry don't get this ..I don't have much bird experience with my D850 but how does manual focus help with a bird flying towards you as it lands on a lake? I thought 3D tracking was the way to go ,,,,,

Let's just say focusing isn't it's strong point. Most things they shoot are further away and still.. birds or moose, bear, elk, w/e. To manually focus you turn a wheel on camera, not the lens and doing it manually is way faster than waiting for it to focus.