Nikon Z6 AF Focus Point - Confirmation?

swamespswamesp Posts: 20Member
edited December 2018 in Nikon Z cameras
So finally bought Nikon Z6 along with 50 1.8S, loving it so far. Quick question on the AF confirmation, as per the manual it says when AF is confirmed the focus point will turn green.

Photo mode:
AF - I see the red square and after focus it has never turned to green. Had to wait few seconds for the square to blink to know if it is out of focus (frustrating to wait!!!)
MF - Brings the indicator on the left bottom corner like DSLRs for focus confirmation

Video mode: Works as per the manual, turns green pretty quick.

Can somebody confirm if that's how it's working on your side too on the photo mode AF setting?

PS: Admin, unable to find Nikon ML category.
Post edited by spraynpray on

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    edited December 2018
    I'll check on mine - I think it depends on the focus mode. As I recall the red box will turn green but only momentarily. Agree it could be a little more straightforward.
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    The square only turns green in AF-S mode. It doens't change in AF-C. Many people want Nikon to update it so it turns green in AF-C mode too.

I believe it doesn't change in AF-F video mode either, unless you press the AF-ON button.

In MF mode the square will turn green if the area under the focus point is in focus. I find this easier than looking at the dot.
    D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    Just checking this out from our owners. Still do not have mine yet. Farming taxes are so high right now they seem determined to take all of my money in New York State. This AF green light versus red square seems pretty bad compared to D500 and D7500. The video mode though sounds awesome.
  • EricBowlesEricBowles Posts: 27Member
    If you need to check focus, just program the Fn1 button to view at 100%. It's a toggle, and allows an immediate 100% view of the area under the AF point. It can be set for 50%, 100%, or 200%.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    edited December 2018
    That's a good idea. I've been looking for something useful to change F1 to since I usually shoot in RAW and don't worry about white balance on camera.
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • swamespswamesp Posts: 20Member
    BVS said:

The square only turns green in AF-S mode. It doens't change in AF-C. Many people want Nikon to update it so it turns green in AF-C mode too.

I believe it doesn't change in AF-F video mode either, unless you press the AF-ON button.

In MF mode the square will turn green if the area under the focus point is in focus. I find this easier than looking at the dot.

That's exactly how it behaves. It's kinda dumb that to wait until the square blinks to confirm the focus. Need a better alternative than this.
  • swamespswamesp Posts: 20Member

If you need to check focus, just program the Fn1 button to view at 100%. It's a toggle, and allows an immediate 100% view of the area under the AF point. It can be set for 50%, 100%, or 200%.

Good idea, but then it makes it two step process for photos and it gets hard in run and gun event situations.

Dang it Nikon!!!
  • BVSBVS Posts: 440Member
    swamesp said:

BVS said:

That's exactly how it behaves. It's kinda dumb that to wait until the square blinks to confirm the focus. Need a better alternative than this.
    If you have AF-C release priority set to "focus" then the camera will only fire if it's in focus, so no need to wait for the blinking.

D7100, 85 1.8G, 50 1.8G, 35 1.8G DX, Tokina 12-28 F4, 18-140, 55-200 VR DX
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited March 2019
    The fantastic EVF is a new thing when you are familiar with OVF only, as I am.

In the studio with ISO 100 - 1/200 - f/8 you see a black screen only.
    Of course, because the EVF on the Nikon Z is WYSIWYG.

Menu item D8 (Liveview settings) comes to the resque, switch it to "OFF"

Now you can see in the studio trough the EVF.
    You can also autofocus in the dark, find a contrasty point, but that is the same with OVF.
    It is also usefull for BIF, but with H*

Today I get the Nikon 50mm f/1.8 S.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore