New Adobe Photography plans

Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
edited May 2019 in General Discussions
https://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop-lightroom.html?red=a

Well $ 10.- a month become $ 20.- when you use Photoshop.
It looks like they split in a "(New) Lightroom CC" subscription and a "Lightroom Classic" with Photoshop subscription.

If you need "Lightroom CC" only it is $ 10.-, I don't want that, but there are many alternatives for Lightroom without a monthly payment at the moment. My new program will be Exposure X4, hardly a learning curve and it works great.

No need for a cloud solution I have my own (a big Synology NAS 218+), I think my Adobe exit comes quicker then I thought.
Post edited by Ton14 on
User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore

Comments

• daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    And affinity photo is pretty damn good in place of ps
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    I just use the Nikon Software. It does what I need.

I do need to get some kind of cloud storage option set up though.
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    edited May 2019
    I think I will use a couple of the Topaz products and a standalone copy of PS that I have and kiss their subscription good bye. I don't like being held hostage to the whims of their marketing gurus. I've tested Gigapixel AI and love it. Rome fell and so can Adobe.
    Post edited by FreezeAction on
    mhedges said:

I actually really like nikons capture nx-d, IMO it pumps out the cleanest pix.
  • GPDenGPDen Posts: 1,171Member
    I'm with mhedges on this one and just use Nikon - ViewNX2 in the main with a bit of Capture NX-D for lens corrections when needed. I do have a copy of PS on an old laptop but rarely visit it these days as it's just too complicated to use on an infrequent basis. Did buy a book to help me and played around a bit but just don't feel I need to spend hours on end editing my photos. Also and I know I shouldn't, but I almost entirely shoot jpegs! None of the folk I share my stuff with ever notice!!!!! Just my 10 pence worth.

mhedges said:

I actually really like nikons capture nx-d, IMO it pumps out the cleanest pix.
    I generally only use View NX-i. My editing skills are rudimentary, and that does most of what I want. I only go into Capture if I want to do perspective correction, or (more rarely) adjust curves or noise reduction. If you are using current cameras then I don't believe there is any difference in the RAW conversion between the two. I think for older cameras Capture has an advantage since it can apply newer methods of NR that are not available baked in on those cameras. That's what I heard, anyway.

It makes sense to me that these do the best job of NEF conversion since they are done by Nikon. It's not quite clear exactly how much Nikon shares with Adobe about their RAW files vs. how much Adobe just figures out on their own.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I don't think Nikon shares anything with anybody. I use DXO's Photo lab 2 and an old copy of PSE with the old NIK plugins. I would like to try capture one but have not done so yet. I am no expert but do what I can figure out and am thrilled when I find a new and better way to do things. Sometimes old dogs do learn new tricks.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    It will be a frosty f&3@$9g Friday before I let my images get in the cloud, unless it is my intention.
    I’m just looking at cloud as an option for off sight backup. Taking hard drives to safe deposit boxes is a PITA.
  • NIKONTNNIKONTN Posts: 80Member
    mhedges i agree about taking hards to safe deposit boxes. I use CrashPlan for small business. Auto backup and 444 bit encryption for $10 a month.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Forget about that, Adobe might come after you with lawyers if you use older versions of Lightroom/Photoshop.

https://www.macrumors.com/2019/05/13/adobe-creative-cloud-legal-action-older-apps/

Heck, I don't even use their products and I'm slighted by this move. Don't bite the hand that feeds you Adobe. They're looking more and more like EA (the large game developer). Anything to squeeze another few dollars out of you.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    The Photography Plan for ten bucks a month remains available on the Adobe Site.
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    Yes the $10 is still there today and maybe for a few months yet to come. I'm downloading Capture One Pro 12 and giving it an examination. For a one time $299 with free updates if it does what I need then so long Adobe. I have Adobe standalone CS6 and a similar Lightroom. The interpolation feature in PS is very good but maybe no better than a RIP package that comes with the new printer I want for $200 or so more than the base unit. If it is good enough then only DeNoise is needed possibly. I'd rather have my on cloud in house with a provision for offsite storage at a relatives place 3 states away. Adobe is not struggling financially but getting greedy and that might be their downfall yet.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited May 2019
    If the up it to $20 a month I think I'll switch to a combo of Nikon Software and some other open source stuff. As it is I can hardly justify the $10 a month anymore.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited May 2019
    As all news these days, news is not what it was anymore, most is fake, no difference whith this.

Here is a link, untill now she always gave me the actual status for the moment in time.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-photography-plan-split-testing/

Nothing last forever, but till that time ...... There is a lot of software on the market and you have time to try everything.

For me luminosity masks are the game changers, C1 has it now in version 12, Lightroom has the slider in the last 2 versions and PS always had them.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
    Didn't it say specifically that you couldn't use older CC products, that leaves pre-cc apps available to use which makes sense since the royalties on the pre-rental apps easy to track.

Login to your Adobe account, go to plans on the top menu bar, then go to my orders and they should be there, I just checked and most of mine were
  • niemeyjtniemeyjt Posts: 64Member
    https://theblog.adobe.com/changes-to-creative-cloud-download-availability

Please note that going forward, Creative Cloud customers will only have direct download access (from the Creative Cloud Desktop app and Adobe.com) to the two most recent major versions of Creative Cloud desktop applications.*