TC-14EII issues on D850

trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
Following on from my earlier posts on the thread:
"200-500f5.6 Priced Under $1,400: Are You Excited?" pp27 & 28, I contacted Nikon UK, who confirmed that the combo should work on the D850.
So I took some photos at home. I'd be interested in any comments - the red ringed tag is 1 bit that I think should move but doesn't. If I manually move it round, then I get AF & the selected aperture.
I also noticed a oddity when I took a photo of the inside of the F mount. On the top there's what looks like a thin piece of metal in the gap. Now, I don't know what the hell tat is, but I do know I've treated the camera with kid gloves and when I tried out the TC, I didn't force anything. So, any ideas/comments? It sure as hell doesn't look right. I uploaded the pictures on Image Space - please let me know if it doesn't work:
img.gg/7yNwj5L

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited July 2019
    The metal tab on the TC is for all lenses with a mechanical aperture lever pass through to the camera body (all non-E lenses), it should move freely when it is not attached to a camera body or lens.

As for the camera body, it's fine. Both my D750 and D810 have the same thing.

Nikon's site says the combo works, "† Autofocus is available only with cameras that offer f/8 support. These include the Z 7, Z 6, D5, D500, D4/D4S, Df, D850, D810/D810A, D800/D800E, D750, D600/ D610, D7100, D7200 and D7500. For cameras that do not support f/8, teleconverters can be used without autofocus."

The first thing I would do is try cleaning the electronic contacts on the TC (both front and back side), sometimes that's all it takes to get it working again. Some rubbing alcohol should do the trick.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
    Yeah I've got IPA at home, so I'll give all of them a going over when I get home.
    Some of us have to work today :D
  • CEBluecloudsCEBlueclouds Posts: 1,943Member
    edited July 2019
    D850 works well enough with the Tc-14eii, i use it from time to time. When paired with the 200-500 f5.6 though based on my experience, I believe you would get better quality pictures not using it and just cropping to the equivalent size. I hear you get much better quality when paired with the 500 f5.6PF... photo below was with the TC1.4 & the 200-500 f5.6...with a 50% crop.
    CHU_0402-4
    Post edited by CEBlueclouds on

D850 works well enough with the Tc-14eii, i use it from time to time. When paired with the 200-500 f5.6 though based on my experience, I believe you would get better quality pictures not using it and just cropping to the equivalent size. I hear you get much better quality when paired with the 500 f5.6PF... photo below was with the TC1.4 & the 200-500 f5.6...with a 50% crop.
    CHU_0402-4

I'd probably agree, but I did get some interesting photos using the combi on a D800, so I thought I'd compare it. I said elsewhere that with good light & plenty of contrast, the TC-14EII & 200-500 works. Maybe not for moving subjects.
    It was more for experimentation
    Problem solved. Wiped the contacts with alcohol, and it worked briefly but then stopped. However, I noticed quite a bit of slack, so I tightened all the screws, and voila!
    Thanks to everyone who helped