MORE JOBS FOR US ....MAYBE

From the net.
Digital photography continues to make job hunting tough for people who work with film. There are just 23,853 photo processors remaining in the U.S.,( I dont think they mean professional photo processors ) according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and their ranks are expected to decrease by 19.7 percent by 2026.
Fear not, shutterbugs: The need for photographers is on the increase. That profession is expected to increase by 12 percent to 155,286 jobs by 2026. Portrait and commercial photographers — the people who take photos for businesses and advertising firms — are expected to see the greatest growth over the next decade.

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Source? Just saying, "the net" means nothing. Some random blog? Main stream media reports? A major university study? A random survey, by some random market research company? Has the data been checked and quantified by a reputable source?
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    If I can find it I will let you know ..part of a survey of 20 disappearing jobs ie film photographer ..on yahoo I think.
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    I worked for two decades at a medium sized photo lab in Tucson (Arizona) that served both professionals and consumers. When I started in 1993 we had two main labs (with connected stores) and about a dozen outlet stores (for dropoff and pickup) and about 50 or 60 employees. I finally left almost four years ago due to low pay (for an unrelated government job) we had one lab and one outlet store and around 8 employees. Now they are down to 5 or 6.

In the heyday the bulk of their income was from the professional division. Now I can count the number of professionals they have on one hand. I have seen firsthand the death of photography as a profession (for a list of reasons too long to type here) and I would find it surprising if this goes back up (though I would be happy if it does).
  • manhattanboymanhattanboy Posts: 1,003Member
    There are numerous jobs in digital photography design. I believe both Apple, which produces the world's best selling cameras, and Google, which produces the world's most used photography software both hire and pay pretty well. :smiley:
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member

There are numerous jobs in digital photography design. I believe both Apple, which produces the world's best selling cameras, and Google, which produces the world's most used photography software both hire and pay pretty well. :smiley:

:D :D :D