Other Art, Graphics, or Hobbies

Comments

• SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    I play and restore a lot of old music gear. My specialty is rewinding old guitar and bass pickups.

SGs

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    edited February 2018
    Searcy, that is a beautiful image.
    Post edited by WestEndFoto on
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Niiiice Ton.
    Always learning.
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member

Searcy, that is a beautiful image.

Thanks!

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Bump in this thread. I enjoy cars but also enjoy video games too. I'm a big console gamer and have the PS2, PS3 and currently PS4.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    I search old (18th and 19th century) music books for dance music of North America, England, Scotland, Wales and Ireland to find fiddle tunes that are no longer played. They I learn to play them.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    I'm into video games too, although I have always only owned Nintendo consoles. It's funny - I see Nintendo and Nikon being similar in a lot of ways. They both compete against Sony, for one.

I tend to dabble in a lot of hobbies. Recently I have started woodworking, specifically with live edge slabs. Here's a coffee table I made:

DZ6_1434_89_Small

DZ6_1436_90_Small

DZ6_1449_95_Small
    edited October 2019
    Like Msmoto, I have enjoyed listening to good music on nice analog audio systems. Regrettably, I have lost hearing in one ear and I have no stereo perception, so my system is wasted on me. Now I make my own music:[url=https://flic.kr/p/2hph6mA][img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48833820046_8a833e8836_z.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/2hph6mA]Old music on old instruments[/url] by [url=https://flickr.com/photos/symphotic/]Symphotic TII Corporation[/url], on Flickr

Post edited by Symphotic on
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
    imageOld music on old instruments" alt="" />
    Jack Roberts
    edited October 2019
    @mhedges - nice work on those tables. I am a woodworker myself.

Here is a shot of another of my hobbies gear:

Going Shooting
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
    edited October 2019

Here is a shot of another of my hobbies gear:

Nice. I hand load .45-70 Government myself.
    Jack Roberts
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Fun, this is mine, we had to take the machine guns away, they were no longer allowed. En route to an airshow.

De kooy 2002 011
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
    Nice Ton. What plane?

I only recognise Spitfires, Lancasters, Hurricanes and Typhoons.
    Always learning.
    edited October 2019
    It is the Harvard ND16 the Dutch version Andrew. ND stands for Norduin, the engeneer who made the (small) changes to the Harvard T6, the American version. This one is from 1942, our club has 4 of them in flying condition. Original from 1936, but the 600hp engine was not enough and they were used as training airplane.

On the same flight we shot (photo's of course) the Dutch Spitfire for a magazine. The photographer Ben Ullings was in the back by me.

Spitfire0602-2 (klein)
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    edited October 2019
    There are things you should do once in your life, here crossing the Amsterdam airport "Schiphol" with a two Harvards formation. Well the tower is not as high as you think on this altitude and they put the traffic on hold for 2 minutes. A DC10 captain asked on the radio: when I come back, can I make a pass along the tower too?

Harvard Schiphol 1
    Post edited by Ton14 on
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    Thanks for sharing -- great pic -- good hobby.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    Ton 14: I have shot some air shows from the ground. What were the modifications made to the ND6? It looks similar to a T6 Texan I have shot two of them. One the same yellow as yours but different markings of course. The other supped up as a stunt plane. The spitfire looks similar to the mustang were they in the same performance class?
    edited October 2019
    Ton14: You would love our little airport in town here. We have a Mitsubishi Zero, a B25 Mitchell, a Grumman Hellcat, and a few others including 2 T6 Texans.
    Jack Roberts
    @retread I don't know the modifications, but we fly them in the original state. In the US they are converted in high tech race machines. Here an old photo from the "office", overhauled now, but still the same.

Harvard 003

The Spitfire is Dutch had clipped wings (to gain speed) and flew in WWII.

@Symphotic Sooo ... that is a super collection, We have a B25 Mitchell too, but it is very hard (and expensive) to keep it in the air.
    edited October 2019
    I put some old photo's on Flickr.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    Ton14 said:

@Symphotic Sooo ... that is a super collection, We have a B25 Mitchell too, but it is very hard (and expensive) to keep it in the air.

The Mitchell is actually a PBJ variant rather than a B25, but everyone calls it a B25. It is very impressive in flight. I don’t think they’ve gotten the Zeke off the ground yet. We donate cash to the effort when we can, but as you say, it is expensive. Still, It is amazing that these things still fly after 75 years.

Keep up the good work! Old planes are like old music. If you keep flying (or playing) them, their inventors remain alive through their creations.

Similarly, photography makes a record that lasts into the future.

Jack Roberts
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I also like old warbirds. Just a few days ago unfortunately a B-17 crashed in Connecticut.

https://time.com/5690942/b-17-crash-bradley-airport-connecticut/
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    @Ton14 The P51 mustang was a WWII fighter. Had a 1250 HP v12 eigine.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    @Ton14 really cool!

God that reminds me of this show I saw on PBS about 20 years ago about an effort to restore a WWII bomber (I think it was a B29) that was frozen in the artic somewhere. It was pretty sad - one of the main guys got sick and died during the restoration, and then when it finally took off it was lost because a fuel tank wasn't secured and it caught fire.
    edited October 2019
    @Symphotic Yes, let's be realistic, they actually belong in a museum. Not only money, but also the regulations are making flying impossible. Then parts with certification are hardly available anymore and the people with knowledge are no longer there.

In our Historical Flight club only a few planes fly and sometimes on a big show, they are in original condition. The Spitfire, 2 Harvards, 2 Pipercubs, the Tiger Moth from 1939 (completely overhauled) and that's it. Work on the Mitchel has been going on for 2 years, but I don't think it will fly due to regulations.

Well for 20 years it was a lot of fun for me (understatement).

@NSXTypeR Yes i saw it in the news. There is one in England, but regulations keep it on the ground.
    Post edited by Ton14 on