Nikon FF for cheapskates

12346»

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member

I do fancy about buying another D600 again, at the now reduced price of course, but then I remember how it struggled with focusing in both LV and with its dedicated Multi-CAM 4800 AF sensor and how unwieldy it felt in my hands and the fancy goes away. A D750 with its vastly improved AF and ergonomics is my minimum acceptable spec'd FX body now, but as I previously mentioned, I'm shying away from used D750 bodies due to its multiple recalls, so a brand new D750 is my only reasonable choice as I live in a land that Nikon corporate forgot, thus my investment in such kit will at least be double the $1K I previously spent on my D600 kit, and that is way beyond what I can afford. Having said that, a $300 D600 in perfect condition and with low shutter count will be very temping, and that, again, might happen after the D750 replacement comes to market. But for now, I'm gonna have to stick with my dirt cheap Canon EOS M2 kit...

Is gray market or ordering one from the US not an option?

Haven't the D750 issues been cleared up? I thought they were? Anyway didn't the D600 have way more issues?
  • CaMeRaQuEsTCaMeRaQuEsT Posts: 357Member
    mhedges said:

Is gray market or ordering one from the US not an option?

Haven't the D750 issues been cleared up? I thought they were? Anyway didn't the D600 have way more issues?

I actually prefer buying from US sources, gray only when the price difference is large enough to justify the lack of warranty. The D600, though, I got from a small used camera seller in Japan. I always on eBay, as they often run promos where you can save up to $100 off of a $1K and up purchase.

The D750's issues do seem to have finally been resolved at the factory, but that doesn't mean that all used D750s out there have been serviced already, that is why it is somewhat of a gamble to buy them used. The only issue the D600 ever had was the oil sputtering shutter deal, but the D600 I had didn't show signs of it, even though it seemly was on its original shutter, as there was no black paint drop inside its tripod mount.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited January 2019
    If it makes you feel any better, my D750 worked better before I sent it in for the second recall (mine came with the black dot in the tripod socket and on the box) and that was way back in the spring of 2015.

Honestly unless you really want the 24mp sensor a D700 is a really nice camera for way less money, wish I’d kept mine. I liked the colours better, but the 750 is much better above ISO1600.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited January 2019
    PB_PM said:

If it makes you feel any better, my D750 worked better before I sent it in for the second recall (mine came with the black dot in the tripod socket and on the box) and that was way back in the spring of 2015.

Honestly unless you really want the 24mp sensor a D700 is a really nice camera for way less money, wish I’d kept mine. I liked the colours better, but the 750 is much better above ISO1600.

Well personally I think the better performance at high iso is one of the main reasons to go full frame. If I'm stuck with 1600 ISO then I might as well shoot crop.
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited January 2019
    It's kind of a given that a camera that is 11 years old wouldn't match one that is 5 years old. Then again the difference isn't that big, the D700 is still as good or better than most APS-C cameras other than maybe the D500 right up to ISO6400. Not to mention that the D700 has a better AF system than the D600. I've also found that FX cameras tend to focus better in low light, but hey what do I know, I've only owned all the camera's I've talked about other than the D500.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    OK fair enough no offense intended.
    Spoiled by riches, that's how I've been since my first DSLR, the D7100: I've grown accustomed to 24MP sensors and good quality 1080p video. Also, the D600's grip is already too wide for my taste, while its size and weight too are beyond what I feel is confortable for me to carry all day long. For these reasons I've never given thought to the D700, apart from the fact that it's almost impossible to find pro level bodies with low shutter counts and perfect cosmetics being sold at bottom prices.

As for DX, the minimum acceptable spec'd body for me nowadays is the D7200, which actually sells for more used than a similar condition D600, but most importantly to me is that two of my favorite focal lenghts, 35mm and UWA, are not well served in the DX world: for example there is no way in the DX world to get as wide, as sharp and as bright while spending $200 or less in as small a package as with a lowly 20/2.8 in any of its incarnations on an FX body. As I previously mentioned, it's actually cheaper to shoot at 35mm equivalent FOV or wider in FX than in DX, while getting sharper images out of way faster and more compact prime lenses. All you get in the DX world are a bunch of slow, soft and expensive for what they deliver UWA zooms that are at least twice as large and heavy as the 20/2.8.
    edited April 2019
    Can't get quotes to work, for some reason, but I wound up selling my Sigma ART 14-24 for $2 more than I paid for it. So all it cost me was the eBay fees to use it for 6 months. Not bad.
    Post edited by mhedges on
    mhedges said:

Can't get quotes to work, for some reason, but I wound up selling my Sigma ART 14-24 for $2 more than I paid for it. So all it cost me was the eBay fees to use it for 6 months. Not bad.

Why did you sell it after only 6 months?

mhedges said:

Why did you sell it after only 6 months?
    I was using it on Z6. Replaced it with the Z mount 14-30.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Now is an excellent time to buy a D750.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited December 2019
    I have sold many cameras to Camera Jungle and MPB. they never ask if they are grey and never say in the advertising ..so another minefield ...buy second hand ..get a problem and then find Nikon wont fix it because its grey. Not so much a problem in UK as independent shops will fix anything but you have to pay.

As for your comments on UWA DX the Nikon 10.5 fills the frame and comes cheap second hand on ebay and is very sharp.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    The Nikon D610 was being sold for $900 bundled with a 50mm 1.8 yesterday.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S