Recommendation for carry on bag w/ camera storage?

mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
I'm going on a business trip in a couple weeks and I'd like to bring my Z6 + 24-70 and possibly 14-30 with me. Don't feel comfortable putting it in checked bags, and I have my work laptop backpack, so I would need to put it in a carry on. Any recommendations for a small to medium size carry on bag that I could put my clothes etc. and camera in?

Comments

• sportsport Posts: 120Member
    Not sure what exact size your looking for, but Think Tank has a 14L Mindshift for $50 in the Special Offers page. There is also a Rotation 180 for $100 Here is a link:

Think Tank SidePath

Think Tank Rotation 180

I've never had any issues with their stuff.
    If you are looking small, Amazon has a TT Retrospective 10 for $110. This is what use most of the time with no issues.
    Think Tank Retrospective 10
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Thanks!

Just to clarify - I'm not looking for a camera-only bag. I'm looking for a general airplane carryon (the kind that goes in the overhead bins) that I can stick my camera in, along with everything else I'll need for the trip. It's only 3 nights so I won't need too much stuff.
    Oh, ok in that case I would just get a camera insert and find a cheap black duffel. I have an Ape Case Cubeze that I use in an old Osprey backpack. It doesn't draw much attention because it's old and has lots of miles on it. Put the clothes in packing cubes and it keeps you from dropping clothes when taking the camera out.

The camera insert was cheap like $10-$15
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. Normal bag with something to hold the camera inside it.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Having seen the way other people ram their - sometimes hard - carry-on bags into the same locker I am using, I would always go hard for a case with reasonable protection.
    Always learning.
    Yeah I'm considering getting a hard shell carryon. I have a soft side one but I'm nervous about using it for this.
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    edited January 2020
    I guess I may not be paranoid enough, but I just put my Z6-24-70/f4 in a OpTech Soft Pouch, (size D-SLR) and put it in my backpack.

https://optechusa.com/soft-pouch-digital-d-series.html

Edit: D-Midsize is what I got, and what the OpTech product finder recommends...
    Post edited by ggbutcher on
    Thanks @spraynpray and @ggbutcher - I'll check those out.
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    I am a huge fan of ThinkTank and their new subsidiary MindShift. However I use their bags for camera only. Maybe they have a hybrid bag like you are looking for? (Check their website and you can also email them with what you want - they are very good at getting back to you. However I also know that Tamrac has a line of hybrid backpacks; the top part is just an open bag for clothes etc and the bottom (which has its own zipper access) is just for a small amount of camera gear. I don't remember the series name but it should be on the Tamrac site and I think is exactly what you are looking for.
  • dpidudedpidude Posts: 106Member
    Use any reasonably sized shoulder bag (ie. retrospective 10) and pack it into your suit case with your clothes.
    D3s, (14-24 2.8), (24-70 2.8), (70-200 2.8 VRII), 2 SB-700, SB-910, 2.0x teleconverter
  • SymphoticSymphotic Posts: 711Member
    You can’t go wrong with Billingham bags for the kind of thing you are trying to do. There are many sizes and you can remove the excess padding so that you only have padding around your camera gear and have more space for other items.
    I got to where I just buy leather at Tandy Leather company and sew my own bags now. It seems I always need a different size than what I have.
    Jack Roberts
    "Discovery consists in seeing what everyone else has seen and thinking what nobody else has thought"--Albert Szent-Gyorgy
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    sport said:

Oh, ok in that case I would just get a camera insert and find a cheap black duffel. I have an Ape Case Cubeze that I use in an old Osprey backpack. It doesn't draw much attention because it's old and has lots of miles on it. Put the clothes in packing cubes and it keeps you from dropping clothes when taking the camera out.

The camera insert was cheap like $10-$15

That's what I do. I have a Jansport backpack from high school that can fit a Lowpro Toploader that fits a D7000 with 18-135mm and 35mm with a battery charger and blower bulb. I have extra space up top to put other stuff too. I actually prefer it that way because it looks less conspicuous. It takes a bit longer to get stuff out though.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Thanks again, all. I think I'm gonna go the shoulder bag inside the carryon route. Mostly because I already have them. And the shoulder bag I have is very well padded.