WiFi tethering (backup) with the Nikon Z6 and Z7 it is build in !.

Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
edited January 2020 in Nikon Z cameras
Direct connect to your PC with WiFi is possible with the Nikon Z6 and Z7.

The advantage of these cameras is that they have a separate WiFi module build in.
A stable connection can be made and the range is also very good.

I found this on Youtube.
Ricci Talks has 2 videos on how to set this up. Follow the steps.
It works great for me, no (expensive) hardware needed.

I search on:
ricci talks wifi connection ........ and got part 1 and part 2
Post edited by Ton14 on
User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore

Comments

• SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    I'll have to give this a try.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    I installed it on my laptop and I found one thing, when I switch off the camera it won't connect automaticly when I switch the camera on again, I have to switch off the laptop and start it again too.

This is because there are 2 Wifi connections working at the same time, the normal Wifi and this one which is not connected to the internet. It is a problem in my laptop, which I have to look at.

I only use this method for static setup (studio or so) with Capture One and leave everything on, then it works good. the .jpg's transfers are fast enough, RAW files are too big and take time, but that is the case with every system.

Snapbridge works without problems for the last month, I use this "on the road", connect it with my Samsung S10 or Samsung tablet S3. Simply switch snapbridge and bluetooth on and "connect to smart device" on, in the camera. When I switch off the camera and switch it on again the connection is automaticly made.

For me the 1680 x 1020px JPG's are perfect for these devices.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited January 2020
    When I switch off the "WiFi auto connect" for the normal internet connection in my laptop, everything works, I can switch the camera on and off, but .....

The "WiFi auto connect" for the Z6/Z7 is set on "automatic" in my laptop and I have to switch on the "connect to PC" in the camera again, it took about 30 seconds to re-connect again. I made a setting for that in my menu, so that is no problem. The photo's are automatic transfered to my laptop now and I can choose all or .jpg only.

This is what I always wanted for tethering without cables and extra hardware.
    Post edited by Ton14 on