Help ! If you got a D750 or D700 you can help me

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
edited March 2020 in General Discussions
Hi ..I just bought a beat up D800 cheap ( £250 box/charger/manual/disc) with huge back focus issues like +40..Chassis not cracked so moved the focus module to cure that but cannot get a replacement rubber for the hand grip end. If you have a D750 or D700 could you measure the length of the grip rubber at the card door end as I can get one for a D750 or D700 cheap but no good if its too short. Mine is 63.5mm. or 2.5 inches in Trump land.
Post edited by Pistnbroke on

Comments

• sportsport Posts: 120Member
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Thanks for that I am going to try and glue the old one which is a bit stretched and baggy. As I have the base plate off to give it a respray I can cut the old one to a good fit. Clearly other profiles to consider when fitting the wrong item but many thanks.
    Any body got dimensions for the D700 grip?
  • axlroseaxlrose Posts: 38Member
    6 x 2 x 3 inches ?
    Having got the D700 dimensions and studied the photos I don't think its a goer.
    Trim and Glue the original and fit a silicone skin is the answer until I can find the real thing at a sensible price.
    thanks all for your help and if you need to move your focus module you know where to come !!
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Yeah those won’t work, the D750 is shorter, and the D700 grip is wider and a totally different shape.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    PB=PM yes its not simple is it ..D300 anybody . I concluded that its best to trim it a bit ..its stretched and glue it back . Managed to get new thumb rubber and the one with FX on it Ordered a silicone skin to keep it all looking pretty ..will hang on to it use it with the Samyang 14mm and trade it in for a Z8....
    edited March 2020
    The D300 grip is almost as tall as the D700, its 70mm. I've had or have all these cameras in question at one point or another. The way the grip fits is also different due to the way the card doors are mounted on the D300/D700, than the D800(E) and D810.

D810 top, D300 bottom.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    The D810 is not the same as the D800 which is like the D300 ..Straight. The D800 is only 63.5mm so 70 would be ok if cut ,, AT present I am going to glue it and see if its any good ..At present its stretched and baggy
    edited March 2020
    It's been a long time since I had a D800, couldn't remember which it was more similar to. :) The biggest difference between the D300/D700 and the newer cameras is the width between the grip and the lens mount, with the newer ones being much smaller.

I had to replace the rear grip on my D700 when it was 5 years old, wasn't cheap. It seems like the source for the main grips on the D800 have really dried up. Most likely because it wasn't on the market very long compared to some of the other cameras.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    I glued it but it needed about 2mm cut from the sides it had stretched so much . Not 100% happy but for the price OK . Have new thumb grip fitted and a LHS rubber on its way as mine is missing the FX logo and is loose.
    Thanks everyone and if you see a grip rubber for sale let me know