Nikon D750 -- General Discussion

Comments

• bald_eaglebald_eagle Posts: 104Member
    I wouldn't rule out skipping 1.13 as the cause of the problem, but I'm not entirely convinced that it made a difference really - I've skipped firmware updates before (with other cameras) and not previously had any problems.

Meanwhile: Nikon support have answered and said they are not aware of this problem with the firmware. They've asked me to provide "video footage" of the problem (filmed through the viewfinder)., which I can't provide, since I have already downgraded to 1.13 and am reluctant to re-install 1.15 (in case the problem re-occurs and it was just luck that let me downgrade the last time)..

I'm staying on v1.13 for now.

Thanks guys for all your suggestions.

Cheers,
    Baldy. ;)
  • Out_of_FocusOut_of_Focus Posts: 5Member
    Just bought a D750 almost a week ago (late to the party, I know) & have been reading through this thread. Just wanted to say thanks to anyone who has contributed - its been very informative!

Baldy
    My camera came with 1.15 installed out of the box so I dont know if this was the case in previous versions, but when in Aperture or Shutter priority the Exposure meter only appears when the camera is pushed beyond its limits. When appropriate settings are made it promptly disappears again. Its probably just a bug that makes the same command run when in Manual mode - it may run even when the incorrect exposure is made.
    Just for reference, when Im in Manual and have a correct exposure the meter stays on throughout in both the viewfinder and control screen.
    Hope this helps, best of luck.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Welcome aboard @Out_of_Focus, helpful first post.
    Always learning.
    Hi @Out_of_Focus - Thanks for that, that at least confirms that I'm not the only one and there isn't something wrong with my camera. I'll feed that info back to Nikon support to see what they say..

Incidentally, Nikon support said "there is no known way to downgrade the firmware" (interestingly, I just put in an SD Card with the 1.13 Firmware on it and told the camera to "upgrade" and voila it was downgraded to v1.13 ( where this strange exposure meter behaviour doesn't occur!).

Cheers,
    Baldy. ;)

Hi @Out_of_Focus - Could you please inform Nikon support of your findings with v1.15 disappearing Exposure meter.

I'm 99.9% sure it's a firmware bug, but Nikon are insisting that since no-one else has reported the behaviour it must be a problem with my camera!

If any other guys with a D750 and v1.15 find that they also have the behaviour, could you please also report it to Nikon.
    As stated by Out_of_Focus, it only disappears in A or S mode when the exposure is in range (note that doesn't mean correct exposure), and as soon as the exposure is completely off the scale the display re-appears.

Cheers,
    Baldy. ;)

• sportsport Posts: 120Member

Incidentally, Nikon support said "there is no known way to downgrade the firmware" (interestingly, I just put in an SD Card with the 1.13 Firmware on it and told the camera to "upgrade" and voila it was downgraded to v1.13 ( where this strange exposure meter behaviour doesn't occur!).

That is the exact answer that I would expect them to say. Here is what they meant by that answer: "We do not test downgrading the firmware and do not know what will happen." They want no part of any liability on that one.

For others that read these posts about the firmware in the future, I still stand by my original post. You should not update firmware unless you are trying to specifically address issues outlined in the firmware documentation.

With all that being said, my camera is currently being repaired at Nikon and I expect that they will update the firmware to 1.15 (it is currently at 1.12). Once I get the camera back I will test the issue and post the results. What lens were you using when you saw the issue? Did you try a non-cpu lens to see if it had the same issue?
    I should have mentioned that all my findings on the Exposure Meter matter have been with a Non-CPU lens (with Lens Data selected).

Baldy,
    I will gladly mention this to Nikon.
    I'm somewhat new to this so excuse my ignorance - but if you're shooting in a mode that makes the appropriate adjustments for you (A or S priority), why would you want to see the exposure meter?
    If it was disappearing during Manual shooting, then yea that an issue naturally.
    On the topic of previous firmwares...
    Has it ever been possible to set the Command Dials to Easy ISO & Easy Exposure Compensation at the same time?
    I like to shoot in A-Priority & use the aperture ring on the lens. The command dials make changing ISO & Exp Comp much easier (especially ISO since it keeps the LCD from turning on), but Ive yet to figure out how to set one without turning the other off.
    Thanks for any help!
    sport said:

For others that read these posts about the firmware in the future, I still stand by my original post. You should not update firmware unless you are trying to specifically address issues outlined in the firmware documentation.

With all that being said, my camera is currently being repaired at Nikon and I expect that they will update the firmware to 1.15 (it is currently at 1.12). Once I get the camera back I will test the issue and post the results. What lens were you using when you saw the issue? Did you try a non-cpu lens to see if it had the same issue?

Nikon recommends that one updates the camera firmware as soon as they release it. If you return the camera to them for anything they will always update it. Also, I know that some manufacturers of Cameras and other electronics (Computers, etc.), will insist on all firmware updates being installed before they will even look into any problem you may have..

As for the lens: I was using a 24-120 F4 G lens.. As I've previously said Have no problems with v 1.12 or 1.133 Firmware, the Exp Meter only disappears from the viewfinder with v1.15.

@OutOfFocus: I suppose I'm just used to it being there and it irritates me that it disappears, although it is nice to see for example when I have exposure compensation dialled (yes, I know there's a symbol to show exposure compensation is active, but the exposure meter gives an indication of how much and which direction). ;)

Cheers,
    Baldy.

• Tradewind35Tradewind35 Posts: 77Member
    I fancy another body to back up my Df - which has been fantastic - for my modest requirements. New Df's are getting hard to find however and are twice the price of a D750. Given that I have zero requirement for video and have a heap of F mount top glass, could the panel advise if the low light performance and general image quality from the D750 would be broadly comparable to that of the Df. (I don't fancy the spec on the D780 - or the price.) A mint used Df would be nice of course and at least I would know which way to turn the buttons..... but they command huge prices.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    DF will probably have slightly better high ISO performance, but the AF on the D750 is much better in low light.
    Thanks mhedges, yes the low light af on the Df is nothing to write home about. Have had a trawl through you tube reviews of D750 and it seems to be almost universally highly regarded. No wonder it has sold so well - at the current prices it must be a bit of a bargain.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    Well the D780 is out and very good. The D500 is still one of the highest rated cameras out there. I see more of them for wildlife and motorsports. So if the D500 gets upgraded it I believe will sell well! We have never had a single problem with the D500 or for that matter the D7500. I own two of the D7500 so I rate them very highly. I also have the Z50 and two kit lens. However the D750 for those doing only stills is quite good. Also until the introductory high price of the D780 games down a bit, the D750 still looks a very good buy. When you bet a NEW one it should have the latest firmware on it.
    Was still pondering on what to buy to compliment the Df. Decision made for me when the battery door on beloved Df has jammed shut meaning I can't get the battery and Sim out. Nikon UK currently "working from home" only during lockdown so no chance of a quick repair. Grays of Westminster still operating and sent me a new D750 - arrived today and getting to know it. Its not a Df but looking forward to getting to grips with it - so far so good - particularly like the U1 and U2 settings but the Auto Scene modes are not likely to see much use!!! It is undoubtedly a snip at about £1K less than a D780 so am happy snapper.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited April 2020
    The battery doors are readily available so I would be taking a thin screwdriver to it and forcing it off. Study the photos of the new ones to see where best to attack.Looks like there is a catch opposite to the hinge and a thin blade pushed from the thin end towards the thick end should shift it . They are on ebay both in UK and US and they fit by inserting into the hinge at 45 degrees..much cheaper than Nikon and you can still use the camera without the door.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nikon-Genuine-Df-Battery-Door-Silver-compatible-with-D-SLR-DF-10w32-cover-part/202851546905?hash=item2f3ae4f719:g:U9kAAOSwNWBcnQzI
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    Thanks Pistonbroke good suggestions. I will try with a feeler guage. I think the battery retaining catch inside the compartment has maybe failed or released itself allowing the battery to spring down impeding the movement of the latch. Nikon UK do not want any repairs in at the moment so diy sounds like the plan. Have had a good play with the D750 this morning - the learning curve has not been too steep in transition. The autofocus capabilities of the D750 are certainly superior - so maybe keep the Df with the prime mf lenses and use the 750 with the af zooms. It will be a nice choice to have to make as to which to grab.
    If the catch has failed watch for a small spiral spring to fly out then spend the rest of lockdown trying to re fit it !
    Thanks Pistonbroke. No joy with the diy, might need to fetch the prime angle grinder :)

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Can't you charge the DF with a lead?
    Always learning.
    edited April 2020
    Remember tradewind ..its not the size of the tool its the force behind it.
    Dremel tool maybe
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member

Remember tradewind ..its not the size of the tool its the force behind it.
    Dremel tool maybe

Amen to that comment.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    More good ideas, thanks. I remember reading that some commentators thought it a bit of an odd design feature that the SD card and battery live inside the same compartment - now I know why. The Df can be run off mains via a bespoke power connector and AC adapter but unfortunately it requires the battery compartment to be opened. Pass me the Dremel please...…..

If you are convinced that the battery has been released due to yellow latch failure and is consequently jamming the latch you could drill a small hole in the flap say 2mm and put a probe in to push the battery back in position releasing the latch. Did you try some pliers on the latch catch flippy thing?
    No joy yet but I think Pistnbroke's suggestion of drilling a hole to push the battery back is the way to go. Will report progress. Getting on well with the D750 in the meantime - the image quality and resolution is great and I have plenty of F mount glass to support two bodies.
    Thanks for help guys, Dremel drill did the job. New door ordered - the locking mechanism in the door itself had failed in the lock position. Camera works fine again :)