D700 (D800) Shutter Sync Locked Issue

dafeilingdafeiling Posts: 7Member
I just picked up a new used D700 as a back up for my original D700. There is a shutter speed selection issue with the new back up camera. The highest shutter speeds available to me in manual or shutter priority is the one I select (or slower options) with the “e1 Flash Sync Speed” menu. Aka if I select 250s in the "e1 Flash Sync Speed” menu, that’s the highest shutter speed available. I can use the command wheel to select one of the slower “e1 Flash Sync Speed” options but am unable to select any other higher speeds.

There is an “X” in front of the shutter speed on the control panel. On my original D700 there is no “X” before the shutter speed. The only reference to an “X” in the user manual is the control panel schematic item #17 (Flash sync indicator) on page 9 which references page 305 “Fixing Shutter Speed at the Flash Sync Speed Limit”

This makes no sense to me. It says an “X” will appear but doesn’t say how to make it go away????
“Fixing Shutter Speed at the Flash Sync Speed Limit”
To fix shutter speed at the sync speed limit in shutter-priority auto or
manual exposure modes, select the next shutter speed after the slowest
possible shutter speed (30 s or bulb). An X (flash sync indicator) will be
displayed in the control panel and viewfinder
I guess the D800 has the same notations re: “Flash Sync Speed Limit”

Any insight would be greatly appreciated . Nikon technical support is”researching it, and will get back to me” they didn’t mention what year

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited April 2020
    Are both cameras running the same firmware version? Auto FP flash sync (for faster than 1/250s) has to be enabled in the menu. If I recall correctly you have to have an external flash attached and turned on to get sync speeds faster than 1/250s, but I sold my D700 four years ago, so cannot confirm.

The X comes up if you choose a speed slower than bulb on any Nikon camera I’ve used. To get it to go away choose a faster shutter speed, don’t know of any other way to get out of it. If that doesn’t work do a two button rest (press and hold the two buttons with green dots), which forces to camera back to default settings.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • dafeilingdafeiling Posts: 7Member
    Thank You PB_PM for your reply

Both cameras running most recent Firmware A1.04 B1.3.

I attached a Nikon speed light (on) and still unable to select a shutter speed greater than 250s in manual. The "X” comes up with 250s /320s selected in “e1 Flash Sync Speed”. That selection is the highest shutter speed available with the command wheel. I can’t get to a 1/500 (or above) shutters speed.

NOTE: The issue is with non flash operation.

I have done a “2 button reset” several times with no resolution.

As mentioned I do Not have the issue with my original D700 and have never seen the “X” with my original D700.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited April 2020
    The X is very strange, shouldn't be coming up if you are using speeds faster than bulb, unless there is a problem with the flash hotshoe. It's possible that the contacts on the flash hotshoe are dirty, have you tried cleaning them? I doubt that is the case, but at this point, I'd try anything that comes to mind. Does the lens attached to the camera, or not having a lens attached make any difference?

Just to clarify, you are seeing the 1/250s (Auto FP) and 1/320s (Auto FP) options in the flash menu, and when you set either speed the X appears next to the shutter speed on the top LCD? What shooting mode are you in? P/A/S/M? Have you tried using different shooting modes? Different metering modes? What drive mode is active?
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Thank You PB_PM for your time and knowledge trying to resolve my issue.

have you tried cleaning them?
    I cleaned them.
    No resolution.

Does the lens attached to the camera, or not having a lens attached make any difference?
    Tried 2 different lens, and without any.
    No resolution.

Just to clarify, you are seeing the 1/250s (Auto FP) and 1/320s (Auto FP) options in the flash menu, and when you set either speed the X appears next to the shutter speed on the top LCD?
    Correct.
    The one I pick becomes the maximum shutter speed available (manual).

What shooting mode are you in? P/A/S/M?
    Looking for solution while in “M”. Same issue in “A”.

Have you tried using different shooting modes?
    In “S” same issue with “X”.
    in "P/A" appears to work with no “X” and registers higher shutter speeds.

Different metering modes?
    Tried all while in "M/S"
    No resolution.

What drive mode is active?
    Single (tested other).
    No resolution.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited April 2020
    Well I never seen this X in 40 years so I got my old D800 out to try to find it . I have FP mode to 1/320 and flash shutter speed to 1/60. Unable to see/find any X in any mode or any shutter speed. What are you trying to photograph that needs these "strange",to me anyway settings?
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    edited April 2020
    What are you trying to photograph that needs these "strange",to me anyway settings?
    Thing is “I DON”T WANT THE “X” setting, I want it to go away. I don’t want or need it! I’ve never seen it with my original D700 or any other Nikon digital cameras I’ve own.

What drives me nuts is that the “X” is mention “it will be displayed” in the users manual on page 305
    “Fixing Shutter Speed at the Flash Sync Speed Limit”
    To fix shutter speed at the sync speed limit in shutter-priority auto or
    manual exposure modes, select the next shutter speed after the slowest
    possible shutter speed (30 s or bulb). An X (flash sync indicator) will be
    displayed in the control panel and viewfinder
    I guess the D800 has the same notations re: “Flash Sync Speed Limit”

This is a recent used camera purchased as a back up. It came with the settings that way.

Here are some screen shots. The 1/160 shutter was just one of many I tried.
    Post edited by dafeiling on
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited April 2020
    Yep, that is how it works, but put a flash on your camera which is capable of High Speed Sync, then you can choose every speed you want. For HSS you have to choose the (FP) seting to work. Every Nikon camera works this way, not only the D700.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
    edited April 2020
    Thanks for the screen shots ..now I know where to look ..Personally I would never have my camera on other than FP 1/320 because I found if I had it say at 1/60 and I came out of a church and forgot to turn the flash off all the photos were over exposed.
    You are trying to make it go and I am trying to make it appear and you can like this .
    Go in S mode and turn the speed wheel all the way down through the seconds until you get to 30 sec . Next click is 1/320 and the X comes on. If you go back to 30sc or faster shutter the X goes off . If you are in S mode at say 1/60 you should not have the X......unless it is a fault with the display ie X is on 24/7 but of course, it may be doing nothing. Sounds like a price reduction from the supplier ...
    PS works the same on the D850 and D7200
    PPS to test if the display is malfunctioning put a flash in the shoe in S mode and look what shutter speed is in the screen display . If its NOT 1/320 ie 1/60 then the display is reading false and the camera is OK
    edited April 2020
    It is as if your build in flash is open. I checked it with my D600 and it only happens when I open the build in flash, it looks like it is a hardware failure. OK, try the following:

Menu item E3 - go down to "CMD" - set the first item (build in flash) on "--"

Now your build in flash does not work, it should do the trick.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    I don't think not using the built-in flash is a design feature or desirable
    edited April 2020
    DING! DING! DING! X GONE!!!!!

…and the winner is: Pistnbroke Thank You, Thank You!

I think the problem was I was “lost” in the supper slow shutter range (senior moment). I kept turning the main command dial to the left to increase the shutter speed … 13”> 15”> 20”> 25”> 30”> bulb> x320, I just never went far enough the other way to reach “normal” shutter speeds.

Giving Pistnbroke instructions a try “… and all the way down through the seconds until you get to 30 sec . Next click is 1/320 and the X comes on”
    To try to turn the X off, I started going “backwards” all the way through the seconds from 320 by turning the main command dial to the right x320> bulb> 30”> 25”> 20”> 15””> … I soon realized I had been trying to increase the speed by going the “wrong way” when some normal shutter speeds started showing up 1/60 > 1/80> 1/100> 1/125 … 1/250> 1/320> 1/ 400 … 1/5000> 1/6400> 1/8000 NO X! Problem Solved!

In my own defense the camera came set in the DARK “X” WORLD Camera purchased used. I have never ventured into shutter speeds that slow. Who would have thought? I’m using my Senior Moment card.

Thank You PB_PM, Pistnbroke, Ton14 for helping me resolve my issue.
    Post edited by dafeiling on
    edited April 2020
    Unlike most people Dafeiling you have bothered to thank someone/report progress so you get 10 stars..Most times the thread just goes dead..many can learn from you. Would be nice to know what Nikon say and when !!!
    Thank You Kind Sir. I was raised old school!

After three phone calls with Nikon and "we'll get back to you ..."
    Thank you for your patience. I have received an update from the proper channels at Nikon. In regard to your Case # 048xxxxx, it seems like there may be an issue with your camera. Considering that you have followed all the instructions in the manual and you do not have the issue with the other D700. I would recommend sending it in to service at this point.
    money money money or $$$$$$$ ..you did well !!!
    Always very useful when a forum helps to find a solution, I find it one of the advantages of a forum and use it too.
    A forum is only useful if there are people kind enough to participate! Thank you gentlemen for Sharing your knowledge and insight... PB_PM Pistnbroke Ton14