I need educating ( again) XQD / CFe

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
edited May 2020 in General Discussions
I have two XQD cards 32 GB and 128GB ....Do I have it right that these are interchangeable with CF Express cards? It seems that cameras using XQD can be updated to use CFexpress but can cameras supplied to use CF Express still use XQD?
Or when my D6 arrives ( you are joking) can I put my XQD in the CFExpress slots?
Looking forward to the next set of D860/Z8 remembering the 7Ps...
Post edited by Pistnbroke on

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I thought they were mechanically interchangeable but the body needs the firmware to make them fully interchangeable.
    Always learning.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 646Member
    Cameras shipping with CFE may not be compatible with XQD. They'll be licensing involved there at some point and cameras that are firmware upgrade to CFE aren't likely going to be writing anywhere near the speed of a CFE card.

Until confirmed otherwise(per camera), I would consider a camera supporting CFE to not work with XQD and you'll likely not want to put a slow and now obsolete card into it regardless.
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    Nikon's next generation cameras will probably support XQD if they have the CFE slot since it's the only company pushing XQD before. But your XQD is useless on pretty much any cameras made by other camera makers even when they have the CFE support.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    I think its a pretty safe bet that all Nikon cameras with a CFE slot will support XQD for quite a while into the future. Likely forever, IMO. And especially a flagship model like D6.

Honestly I expect all cameras with a CFE slot that are released in the next year or two will support XQD. Maybe eventually companies will decide its not worth it to save the license fee but I don't think we are close to that point yet.
  • tc88tc88 Posts: 537Member
    Canon 1DX3 supports CFE, but not XQD. Pretty much no one else other than Nikon cares about XQD.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    tc88 said:

Canon 1DX3 supports CFE, but not XQD. Pretty much no one else other than Nikon cares about XQD.

So everyone that matters cares about XQD...…. :-)
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited May 2020
    So it sounds like for Nikon yes others No.Maybe it will be a menu option. Just have to wait till someone on here buys a nikon with CFE and can test it . Thanks all.
    Have asked Hogan ..will let you know .Depends what mood he is in today.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    Hogan says
    "So far, the answer is Nikon is providing both XQD and CFe compatibility. "
    Which does not answer the question which is can you interchange them in the same slot . So we wait.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    How could Hogan know any more than us? He doesn't have the camera in hand either.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    an Xpert ..x is the unknown and a spert is a drip under pressure .....so there we have it ....
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    tc88 said:

Interesting thanks for the correction. Seems a bit like nickel and dime-ing on a $6500 camera but as you say maybe there's no reason for Canon to support XQD on it since it's unlikely Canon users have XDQ cards.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Canon likely doesn't want to license the firmware for XQD from Sony, a direct competitor. With CFE out, XQD is a dead format anyway.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.