Nikkor Z 24-70 f/2.8 vs primes

photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 648Member
I have seen a lot of reviews that show that the primes are equal or sharper than the z, but they don't compare things like AF speed which would be the thing to get me over the hump. I have the 50 and 85 just now, and am considering the 24 and 35 or the 24-70 f/2.8.

Comments

• WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,744Member

I have seen a lot of reviews that show that the primes are equal or sharper than the z, but they don't compare things like AF speed which would be the thing to get me over the hump. I have the 50 and 85 just now, and am considering the 24 and 35 or the 24-70 f/2.8.

What are you shooting that AF speed is important for? I would google Thom's articles on the primes as well. Reading those thoroughly will give you your answer.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 648Member

What are you shooting that AF speed is important for? I would google Thom's articles on the primes as well. Reading those thoroughly will give you your answer.

Mostly I shoot wildlife, but the two primes I don't have would not matter. I am just trying to get a better understanding of the benefits of each. Really for under 50mm I would prefer a set of tilt shifts, but that doesn't change that I want a better overview of the primes vs zoom than just image quality comparisons.

• Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    The 24-70mm f/4S is a great lens and the IQ is better than the 24-70mm f/2.8G, which was already a super lens, as well as the 70-200mm f/2.8G. The 50mm f/1.8S is an extraordinary lens for me, I have never seen Nikon 50mm that good. Because of this, the question of "sharpness" of a lens is no longer a criterion for me at all.

The only obvious thing for me is, what do I need in terms of light conditions. With the Z lenses I can shoot with 1/10 of a second without tripod (IBIS) unbelievable, so with the 50mm f/1.8S almost in darkness. The 24-70mm f/4S is very handy and compact for a lot of situations, making it the most used lens for me (which was the 24-70mm f/2.8G anyway).

My perception has changed a lot with the Z series.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Search for "Ricci Talks" on Youtube he has two good videos, which gives many answers. He compares the reults from the 24-70mm f/4S and the 24-70mm f/2.8S with the primes available at this moment.

Still waiting for the 70-200mm f/2.8S and the pancakes.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 648Member
    Ton14 said:

Search for "Ricci Talks" on Youtube he has two good videos, which gives many answers. He compares the reults from the 24-70mm f/4S and the 24-70mm f/2.8S with the primes available at this moment.

Still waiting for the 70-200mm f/2.8S and the pancakes.

He did a great job of showing the end results but nothing on handling and AF speed. Like if I am chasing a hyper kitten, will the prime lock quicker than the zoom.