HAS THOM HOGAN GOT HIS WISH ? I GOT MINE (MAYBE)

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
edited May 2020 in General Discussions
According to the corporate plan Nikon issued today they are going to integrate the cameras into social media .Thom Hogan has be shouting this for years and the plan is for more high end DSLRs . Lets hope its a D860
I could then replace the D7200 with a D860 , give the D850 to the wife and have the $300 D800 for a spare .
Yes but will they and when?
Post edited by Pistnbroke on

Comments

• snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    I think that in the short term Nikon will make the best result by releasing new DSLRs, but for long term survival they must focus 100% on mirorrless.

I guess there will be a D860 because there was a D6. I don't know why you would like to intergrate a DSLR with social media. I know I wouldn't use it.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    The automation coming to cameras is mind blowing. I can envision a camera that includes image-stability and automatically brackets for Raw-HDR stacking, raw-Focus stacking, and raw AI-denoise (like Topaz). Does all that in raw, saves the many different shots. And then produces a .jpg optimized for the web - say Facebook.

A little harder to visualize is automatic, in-camera, cropping for the most "artistic" crop.

Today, I can, and occasionally do, all of those thing as a post-processing procedure. If it can be proceduralized, it can be automated.

Yea, new toys!
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited May 2020
    Snakebunk ..you are totally out of touch with my wife who always complains that when she has taken a good photo she cannot instantly send it to the daughters ...perhaps you are a nikon executive with limited forward vision ...thats a joke mate but there is the problem and nikon need to solve it.
    Example ..she takes a photo of the garden with her iphone but its crap but to send one from the D850 is almost impossible ..got it ( Nikon)
    JUST PUT A PHONE CHIP IN THE CAMERA AND GET IT SORTED.
    I wish I was a Nikon executive. There would be lots of long lenses and you would be the first to know :).
    A 600mm DX lens would be nice because I think it could be light.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @snakebunk - I think your point reflects your usage more than the majority of users. I was with you but now would very much like the facility.

@rmp: I'll have one of those! I can't see myself going mirrorless until the screen is visible with bright sun on it and it focuses and shoots as fast and accurately as a DSLR.
    Always learning.
  • rmprmp Posts: 586Member
    @spraynpray - The faster focus would be nice.
    Robert M. Poston: D4, D810, V3, 14-24 F2.8, 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8, 80-400, 105 macro.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited May 2020
    I have always wondered what has taken camera makers so long to make their devices more internet connected. For those who want that the new eSIM based system would open new doors. It would make remote tethered shooting a more viable option for individuals, and make the cameras more valuable for media. In fact the D6 should have been the first Nikon camera to have these types of features.

Samsung had some good ideas in this area 6 years ago, an Android based camera, but the cameras themselves were awkward and poorly designed. The walled gardens most camera makers live in has been, in part, the reason for the rapid fall in sales. That and the fact that any large sensor camera sold in the last 5-8 years is more than good enough for anyone who only posts to social media, which is most likely 90+% of camera users.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    You miss the point PB PM its not if its good enough but its I want to send it to the internet NOW Now not when I get home
    edited May 2020
    And you clearly didn't read the post, so you miss the point. I was talking about the image sensors in that part of the post, not if they were internet connected. Get a clue.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    @spraynpray: Yes, my point about social media integration was purely personal. I always spend a at least a couple of hours at the computer before I do anything with my photographs, and I think the same could be said for most other nature photographers I know.

I do find the idea to build a camera on the Android operating system somewhat interesting. If the camera has a well designed and open API, you could use third party apps for all kind of things, like face recognition, camera traps and editing. But I think the hard part is to do this while keeping the human interface simple and straightforward when it comes to the basic camera functions.

What do you all say about Snapbride?
    edited May 2020
    I dont think sending to social media is for serious photos ..more "I am at the xyz restaurant and just look at the food " or " terrific sunset here" and you process it for yourself later. without this ability people just leave the camera at home and or dont buy it.

been to lots of weddings and never seen a Snapbride. As for Snapbridge I never tried it due to bad reports.
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    edited June 2020
    All modern news media is sent out over social media. The ability to upload from your Nikon to social media while standing in the middle of a riot is something I don't think any serious photographer would pass up.
    Post edited by Searcy on
    @snakebunk, I think the posts between your last and this sum it up perfectly. For me, I still want a better shot than my phone can do even if it is only for facebook. I would still expect to edit before print of course so I see your point there, but being able to throw a snap of the subject up before that is something I would want to do.

Pistnbroke summed it up for me and Searcy makes a good point.

If the apps were available I prolly just wouldn't use them, that is over the border into mobile phone territory for me.
    Always learning.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited May 2020
    Recent Nikons have been very good at producing jpegs in camera; just add an option for an internet optimized size jpeg. Recent cellphones have become very good at post processing images with what cellphone users call "filters;" just put that ability into a Nikon body and add internet access through a sim card so you can upload new apps and send images to the internet. Now you have a useful tool that could revive the lower end DX body sales all the way up the scale to the top professional body used by photojournalists. For example, the Z50 is a great size with a great kit lens. If it could use cellphone based "filters" to edit an internet optimized jpeg and then post that image directly from the Nikon body wherever you are to your facebook page people would buy such a camera and take it on vacation with them. If a D6 equivalent Z body contained those features it would be the camera of choice for photojournalists who could shoot, quick edit, and post fast developing news events. Of course, many "serious" photographers, such as landscaper or studio photographers, are going to still shoot RAW and post-process on the computer later. Current DSLR and Z bodies already meet that need.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
    To make max profit Nikon need to make the camera fit all ..professionals and housewives .turn it on turn if off but if its not there you loose
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Donaldjose, I think that you have articulated the salient issue well. I would just copy and paste it whenever this discussion comes up again.
    This discussion got me reading about Snapbridge. I don't know why you don't like it, but if I buy a new Nikon camera I will try it out for remote photography.
    Come on then someone who uses it and has knocked all the problems out of it do us all a new topic " Living with Snapbridge"
    snakebunk said:

This discussion got me reading about Snapbridge. I don't know why you don't like it, but if I buy a new Nikon camera I will try it out for remote photography.

Sanpbridge doesn't work terribly well. It works as a point and shoot. You cannot control any settings, like shutter speed, aperture, ISO etc. It won't fire an on camera flash either, which is downright ridiculous.
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    No, Snap Bridge has never worked well when I have tried it. I do a lot of uploading live from runway events and I always use Nikon WMU which I find much more reliable than Snap Bridge.
    Well I tried to load it and after turning off the aeroplane mode and updating the software ( D850)the camera and phone are stuck in some locked failed mode where it refuses to say "pair" or give camera password. I give up
    It is a pity that Nikon makes something like Snapbridge and makes it without quality. I think it is better to make nothing than to make bad stuff. But I guess the solution is to do what Searcy is doing and use Nikon WMU.