Other Art, Graphics, or Hobbies

Comments

• Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    @Symphotic About music, that is why I gave my Framus Nashville DeLuxe electric guitar from 1971 to a friend of mine who still play it in a band. It is rare at the moment, but worth a lot of money after 20 years I think. The German Framus factory stopped in 1975.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    mhedges said:

@Ton14 really cool!

God that reminds me of this show I saw on PBS about 20 years ago about an effort to restore a WWII bomber (I think it was a B29) that was frozen in the artic somewhere. It was pretty sad - one of the main guys got sick and died during the restoration, and then when it finally took off it was lost because a fuel tank wasn't secured and it caught fire.

I also remember watching that documentary.

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/video/b-29-frozen-in-time

I wish they hadn't rushed it and had just taken their time or had come back next year. Not worth losing your life over a rare plane.
    Ton14 said:

@Symphotic Yes, let's be realistic, they actually belong in a museum. Not only money, but also the regulations are making flying impossible. Then parts with certification are hardly available anymore and the people with knowledge are no longer there.

In our Historical Flight club only a few planes fly and sometimes on a big show, they are in original condition. The Spitfire, 2 Harvards, 2 Pipercubs, the Tiger Moth from 1939 (completely overhauled) and that's it. Work on the Mitchel has been going on for 2 years, but I don't think it will fly due to regulations.

Well for 20 years it was a lot of fun for me (understatement).

@NSXTypeR Yes i saw it in the news. There is one in England, but regulations keep it on the ground.

I agree, they're flying time bombs. At this point you're really scrounging for parts and it's honestly dangerous to continue flying them.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    edited October 2019
    @NSXTypeR About 15 years ago South Africa Air Force stopped with Harvards, they had warehouses full of parts, all bought by one company. For the Harvards there is enough, but the prices go up every year. For cars you can make your own parts, for airplanes you cannot.

Dangerous ... no, the old airplanes are very simple and get an inspection every year and many mandatory other ones, Every part !! in an airplane has to be certified and is due on dates or flying hours. The ground engineers has to be certified, but the ones with all the knowledge are 80 years old or not among us anymore and it is hard to find and train new ones, but there are still enough (expensive) possibilities.

Then there are "the regulations", for flying there is one rule to start with:
    Everything is forbidden except what is allowed and that is mandatory.

The dangerous part was always the trip to the airfield with my car :)
    Post edited by Ton14 on
  • FreezeActionFreezeAction Posts: 893Member
    One of the complimentary things we do for our photographs. Here is how we square up the frame lumber before we cut the rabbet and dress the edges. This is TN cherry that we purchase kiln dried from a local mill. It gets planed to size and then needed milling done. Once done a coat of sanding sealer goes on and then when ready sanded lightly. Shellac is the only finish coat used. The natural beauty of the wood shows through. Hopefully I will get some Tiger Striped or Curly Hard Maple soon to test.

Final Edge Trim on Tennessee Cherry for Custom Picture Frames
    The Current Project. 56" round dining table made of Cherry, Maple, and Walnut. Rain, Rain and More Rain has put a hurting on venturing out for nature photography so in the mean time I've taken up laser cutting and etching and CNC woodworking on a ShopBot.

56" Round Table Top
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Nice!

I've been doing live edge woodwork. Currently finishing my computer desk - I bought the slab about a year ago and it's been drying since, but I think its good to go now. I'll put some pics up when it's done.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Look forward to seeing it.
    Always learning.
    After measuring the second time I've cut our new table down to 52" in diameter. I am waiting on a jointer to be delivered before beginning work beyond the rough cuts on the wood. I've got plenty of kiln dried walnut, cherry, and maple in stock ready for the glue ups once the jointer arrives. My planer is lonely for it's new companion machine. To top off the table wood is also rough cut for the 22" Lazy Susan to add the finishing touch. Impatient... All art shows are cancelled at this time and may be for awhile so wood working it is. No travel required and supplies are in stock for it all. Stay safe everyone where ever you call home.
    edited March 2020
    If you want to see how it is to fly The Harvard T6, here is a link.

These are the basics, but you see here exactly how it is and get the feeling.
    In Holland the T6 is called Harvard ND16, which I flew.
    We did airshows, formation flying and aerobatics with four of those, all build in 1942.
    You can see all the vintage planes on: www.kluhv.nl

Post edited by Ton14 on
    edited May 2020
    I finally finished the desk I made for my photo editing PC:

IMG_0149

More pics here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmMWzEAU
    Post edited by mhedges on
    Nice and rustic. Got some spalting in there too.
    Always learning.
    Thanks! Yes it's spalted like crazy. The slab actually grew some mushrooms after I first got it. Mill guy said he rescued it from a landfill.

IMG_1354

IMG_1342
  • NikonhotepNikonhotep Posts: 25Member
    That's fantastic, mhedges! I love the dovetail-key joinery.
    I saw a video of a guy encapsulating pieces like that in resin to make a more conventional shaped table - it was amazing and time consuming but did come out looking like glass!
    Always learning.
    Anyone do video games here? I'm a big fan of Sony Playstation games and Nintendo.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited June 2020
    I play some simulators, on the PC. Never played PS, and no new Nintendo stuff since N64.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Thanks @Nikonhotep! I was really happy with how it turned out.

As far as video games - I'm a big Nintendo fan. Never had any other system. Love the Switch, I'm currently playing animal crossing.
    PB_PM said:

I play some simulators, on the PC. Never played PS, and no new Nintendo stuff since N64.

Ah, the PC master race. Lots of good games for that too.
    mhedges said:

Thanks @Nikonhotep! I was really happy with how it turned out.

As far as video games - I'm a big Nintendo fan. Never had any other system. Love the Switch, I'm currently playing animal crossing.

I'm also a big Nintendo fan, but mostly for the vintage gaming that I never really took part of that I can emulate now on my Mac. I really like the Zelda series and played all the older Zelda games.

I'm excited about Spiderman on the PS5.
    OMG. You kids! :-)
    Always learning.
    edited June 2020

OMG. You kids! :-)

Haha, I'm young, but I'm not that young.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    To people spraynprays age, anyone under 50 is a kid. :wink:
    PB_PM said:

:D Harsh but fair!
    Always learning.
    edited June 2020
    I'm just glad you took it with the humour that was intended. :)
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    PB_PM said:

Haha, it's so true. My cousin's daughter I helped pick up from the hospital when she was born and I was in intermediate school. Next year she's going to go to college and I still think of her as the kiddo I picked up with one arm and swooshed around like a space ship.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    edited June 2020
    Let me know if you can see the images.. i am testing a new way to post images.

Hi guys ..
    I have been away for a while mainly health reasons. but also trying to learn some new skills. 3D design .. I am a slow learner.. My first attempts started around the middle of 2018.

Over a few months i progressed a bit.

And a bit more ...

I then hit some limitation with the tool.. so I switched to learning another one that was much harder .... and my output regressed to zero... I also had to go for a serious operation... Anyway months and months later .. I was able to get to this ..

However I have stagnated again with no real improvement for months and put it away in frustration..... Right now I am trying to get back into it again.. .. maybe will have something to show in a few months... wish me luck.
    Post edited by heartyfisher on
    Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.