focus only works when pointers are facing center

zoranzoran Posts: 34Member
edited March 2013 in D90/D7x00
My camera focuses only when the focusing pointer is centered. It will not focus if its nudged to other areas of the viewer, say like for eg. upper left, or right or down! Is this a matter or setting or might my lens have a problem?
Tagged:

Comments

• starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    could be the camera.. could be the lens.
    what camera lens combo are you using
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    "focusing pointer is centered"

Hmmm. It will always help us help you if you can get closer to the correct terminology (read the manual for that).

Anyways, trying to solve with my best guess, maybe you have your camera set to release only when focused as opposed to release when the shutter button is pressed? Check your manual and get back to us with a better description of the problem, the body model number and lens focal length and aperture. HTH.
    Always learning.
  • macsavageg4macsavageg4 Posts: 75Member
    I had something like that with my D7K earlier. It ended up being the AF field set wrong. I should know the manual's documentation on what I changed but through the finder if the AF field is shown being a complete grid and not a halo of AF points around the complete field it will only focus on one point that was set. I know I am probably off on my accuracy here but that is what I adjusted to get the AF system across the frame vs one point. If more clarification is needed I can provide.

Oh yeah knowing the body that you are using will help with knowing what needs to be adjusted.
  • donaldejosedonaldejose Posts: 3,675Member
    edited March 2013
    zoran: Please tell us what camera and lens you are using. Also, to the best of your knowledge what AF settings do you have the camera on? Many of us likely have the same body and can use it to try to duplicate your situation to see what may be going wrong.
    Post edited by donaldejose on
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    If no further information is forthcoming this thread will have to be closed. We need to know the camera model, lens model, any possibility of damage from a fall, general procedures for utilizing the camera, i.e., power on or off when lenses are changed, etc.
    Msmoto, mod
  • ChromiumPrimeChromiumPrime Posts: 84Member
    If no further information is forthcoming this thread will have to be closed. We need to know the camera model, lens model, any possibility of damage from a fall, general procedures for utilizing the camera, i.e., power on or off when lenses are changed, etc.
    +1

@Zoran in addition to the questions above, what are the lighting conditions you're shooting in?
    Way too much gear & way too few photos :-O
  • zoranzoran Posts: 34Member
    Sorry for the long wait, camera is a NikonD7000, lens is a 18-105mm, camera has never fallen, nor lens, dont have any other lenses. What do you guys mean about what AF settings do i have?

@macsavag4 How do i set the AF field correctly? I mean how can i be wrong on this?
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    If you read the manual, you will see pages 91 - 96 are about " focus". An example of an error might be using continuous servo, the attempting to recompose with the release half pushed. The result is an out of focus image.

Tell us what focus settings you have been using.
    Msmoto, mod
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    I think Zoran is saying that his combo does not focus if the focus pointer is not centered(viewfinder). I don't have a D7000, but can it move the focus pointer under the single point AF?
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    edited September 2013
    And what have you done/how have you coped with the problem in the past 6 months Zoran, considering you first mentioned it in March :-S ? It is a terribly long period to live without proper focus ....
    Post edited by Paperman on
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    This issue is user error...be it setting or lack of knowing how to using the bodies functions. These videos may help you in addressing your problem. Get back to us should you still have not found the fix.

D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi all,

Or locking the focus. ;-)

My best,

Mike