Are Ebay sellers crazy?

7pilot7pilot Posts: 19Member
Used to be that folks listing items on Ebay did at least a bit of research on pricing. Have been looking at used D500, D7500 & D7200 listings.

A used D500 (no shutter count) really scratched at the diopter dial. $2k

Both D7500's are within $200 of the new price at B&H

D7200 listings were all over the place. Refurbed for $1,400 $250 more than a new 7500

Does anyone here even bother with Ebay deals?

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited December 2017
    Like any other listing eBay is hit and miss. There are a lot of overpriced items on there, like you mentioned, but you can land some gems, from legit sellers, if you keep a sharp eye out

The real eBay deals are the lenses that have some paint scratches, but are otherwise in good shape. Tends to be stuff coming out of news print/magazine companies that are going under etc. Heavily used/abused cameras aren't worth the asking price. Ones in good condition, with low shutter counts, will go for close to new price, because they are in good shape. Unless they are really old and out of date, that is.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • 7pilot7pilot Posts: 19Member
    I'm thinking that it's not a good idea to camera shop on ebay. I have sold stuff on ebay as well as craigs list in the past. But before listing. I did a bit of research to find out what the value of my item was and what they have sold for given the condition. That doesn't seem to be the case any more. Stuff seems priced on pride and thinking a used item (even if it's in great shape) doesn't depreciate from the price they paid when it was new.
    edited December 2017
    As a seller, if you can get almost new price for something used from people who don't know any better or cannot be bothered to check, that's no skin off my back. I've sold some items this year that went for more than I paid for them years ago. Of course, the retail price on some of those items has increased significantly ($500+) during the time I owned them, so that's just how things go.

When it comes to used cameras, I never buy them without testing them first. I tend to do any used camera buying from a trusted local camera dealer that offers some protection against get a lemon.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Its like selling a car ..you only need one fool
  • HankBHankB Posts: 222Member
    And then there are those who are either ambivalent or are not particularly motivated to part with their item...but if they can sucker a buyer to overpay, that would then be an incentive all its own.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    I have sold lots of stuff on eBay and also am shocked with the final selling price. You get two or three motivated buyers and the price just escalates. Too many people don't really do their research.

The one thing I will say is that when I sell something that is really in excellent condition, the buyers always come back with positive comments via email.

Also sold lots of used equipment for friends at various conditions. Have to admit I am moving more on Craig's List with out those eBay and PayPal fees.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    edited December 2017
    Yup, eBay/Paypal fees are a killer, particularly with items with price tags of over $500 (most lenses/cameras). I found I was not getting more on eBay than I was trading items in at the local dealer (after those insane fees), so I stopped using eBay for camera gear.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    The vast majority of the lenses I have purchased (including my D4, 200 f2 and 300 2.8 were all on Ebay. I would have healthy conversation with the seller to insure he/she was legit in gear knowledge and other matters when it came to photography.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    Golf007sd said:

The vast majority of the lenses I have purchased (including my D4, 200 f2 and 300 2.8 were all on Ebay. I would have healthy conversation with the seller to insure he/she was legit in gear knowledge and other matters when it came to photography.

I like your approach vetting the seller.

My mono pod was purchased used on eBay at a huge savings. Seller used in a couple of times and it was too short for him.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Yes, you can get some very good deals as a buyer. I got RRS and Kirk L-brackets for less than half of the original sale price that way. The most important thing with Ebay is to wait for what you want at a price that you are willing to pay, rather than latching emotionally onto the first one that comes up. It's that attachment, that often leads to the crazy over valued bidding.

As a seller eBay is no long as attractive as it once was. Now it's full of large retail operations, which you cannot compete with, they can offer much lower shipping and handling fees (volume pricing) for one thing. That is part of the reason prices on eBay seem high, because there are a lot of actual new unused items on there from retailers.

The selling/Paypal fees used to be far more reasonable, and only on the sale price. Now they double dip by taking a chunk of the money for shipping too. Once that started happening it meant you always loose money on shipping, unless you over charger the buyer to cover the fee, which I don't think is right. And eBay representatives wonder why they are dropping revenue in the face of Craigslist and other similar sites.
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    it truly is! I'm looking for a good used d7100 but could buy a d7200 with the prices these ppl think they'll get. I usually do a sold search of the last 20 sold and average it and if the seller balks I guess they'll go hungry.
    PB_PM......as a long time eBay buyer and seller, unfortunately everything you said is correct. There is so much over priced stuff and all the fees are a killer.

I just sold my D750 and the battery grip on Craig's List along with some memory cards and a neck strap for $1,236. I did the search for sales on eBay for the D750 and grip to establish current market price. Then figured the fees and did not like the net price so started on Craig's List. It took 5 weeks to find a buyer and I got $100 more than I wanted and came down $24.

Hate to say it but its been a while since I sold anything on eBay. I have been buying but that is a different discussion when you know what your doing and don't get trapped in over bidding.

Any way that is my two cents.

it truly is! I'm looking for a good used d7100 but could buy a d7200 with the prices these ppl think they'll get. I usually do a sold search of the last 20 sold and average it and if the seller balks I guess they'll go hungry.

So what range are you looking to spend on a really nice clean D7100? Really curious. Of course, I have the original box and all the factory accessories but a high quality thin glass screen protector over the LCD on the back.
    If anyone is looking for a RRS "L" bracket for a Nikon D750, let me know.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    @Photobug glad to hear you had some success with Craigslist. Honestly I gave up on it quite a while ago due to getting no interest other than scammers.

@PB_PM You are absolutely correct the eBay fees have gone up a lot. Trouble is I don't really see any viable alternative, at least if you want something sold quick. I will say that the last time I sold photo stuff on eBay I was pretty happy with the net amount even after the fees. And I didn't have any issues with scammy or troublesome buyers which is good since eBay sides with the buyer about 99.9% of the time in the event of a dispute.
    Your right mhedges about the scammers on Craig's List. I now put "Cash only" at the bottom of my posting...but a few still give sob story that they are out of the country and will have a delivery person drop off the check or certified check and pick up the item. Love that line when they offer to pay me $25 to $50 more than asking price.

My experience with eBay has been good to really good with one bad apple. For several years I sold camera equipment for 5 people and they were happy with the money. I have had a few occasions in which I was really satisfied after the net amount. Agree if you need to sell something quick, eBay is probably your best bet.

Without a doubt eBay is changing for the worse and better. Sure has changed over the years. Have a great day.
    edited September 2020
    Photobug said:

So what range are you looking to spend on a really nice clean D7100? Really curious. Of course, I have the original box and all the factory accessories but a high quality thin glass screen protector over the LCD on the back.
    Sorry, I didn't see this and not getting alerts I guess.

I ended up getting a near mint condition with 25k on it (it does back focus a bit though) with box, charge, battery, and a nicer strap for $350. That's about average, some even have lens for that much, and the ppl I offered $350 are still sitting there more than a month later and still asking well over $400.

If you look up the solds there have been some great deals, way down to low $200's for ones in great shape. After I jump over the mountain and go to the Tetons next week hell I might sell it and get a d7200.

I used focal to adjust af then fine-tuned it on some hummingbirds and it takes a really pretty pic :)
    Post edited by daveznspace on

Photobug said:

Sorry, I didn't see this and not getting alerts I guess.

I ended up getting a near mint condition with 25k on it (it does back focus a bit though) with box, charge, battery, and a nicer strap for $350. That's about average, some even have lens for that much, and the ppl I offered $350 are still sitting there more than a month later and still asking well over $400.

If you look up the solds there have been some great deals, way down to low $200's for ones in great shape. After I jump over the mountain and go to the Tetons next week hell I might sell it and get a d7200.

I used focal to adjust af then fine-tuned it on some hummingbirds and it takes a really pretty pic :)
    Thanks. Sounds like you got a good deal. Did not realize that the D7100 had dropped that far in price. Yup, the best way to set a sell price or buy price is to search the "Sold" items. Amazing how many people don't know about the advanced search

Funny what you said that about the Grand Tetons Mountains. Go to PAD and look for the picture I just posted. I won a local contest for best Barn photo of the month....taken with my D7100 + Nikon 70-200 F/2.8.
    Photobug said:

Photobug said:

Thanks. Sounds like you got a good deal. Did not realize that the D7100 had dropped that far in price. Yup, the best way to set a sell price or buy price is to search the "Sold" items. Amazing how many people don't know about the advanced search

Funny what you said that about the Grand Tetons Mountains. Go to PAD and look for the picture I just posted. I won a local contest for best Barn photo of the month....taken with my D7100 + Nikon 70-200 F/2.8.
    yes and no... i came up $5 short of one that was similar but had a battery grip and a 24-85mm that everyone likes so much for basically the same price. There's been quite a few with low miles with lenses... 50mm's or w/e but still.

It always blows me away that the D7xxx series goes so far down, while the D3xxx & D5xxx barely go down and cost just about as much.

But I've seen decent sold ones for like $225.

I'm on the other side of the mountain from jackson but haven't seen the usual amount of animals this year. Whats PAD? I'll have to look.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

Whats PAD? I'll have to look.

Photo-A-Day up the top of the forum home page.
    Always learning.
    daveznspacee....The Morman Barn is a great photo spot with the mountains in the background.

Thanks spraynpray for pointing out to dave where PAD is located.

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I usually put the stuff on that I am using . If its sells at a profit fine if not I still use it. A 1.8 50mm D cost me £38 for sale at £60, A 28-300 cost me £330 inc the repair on sale for £600. Is that crazy ?
    Photobug said:

daveznspacee....The Morman Barn is a great photo spot with the mountains in the background.

Thanks spraynpray for pointing out to dave where PAD is located.

of course the tetons were covered in haze and smoke from the fires in cali but I still think i got some cool shots of some of those buildings.

but it's CRAZY busy there right now, even my friends there haven't ever scene it that busy..When ppl are walking 1.5 miles to a lakes info center it's an eye opener! lol

if anyones thinking of going here's a tip. For my bday last may my mom got me 3 nights stay at a hotel on unsold dot com for $250. I had a choice of 2 and my friend there say she'd go with the continumm as it's litterly right on the bear/moose/elk road. Got a huge room with a deck, fireplace, big tv, kitchenette, etc.., that was almost $400 a night when I was there and a free $100 food card. was a great deal
    Daveznspace - very nice.