Nikon GP-1 GPS

Thinking about my next camera purchase, I noticed that the GP-1 seems to be discontinues. My D850 has it almost permanently affixed to the hot shoe.

Does anybody know what a good alternative is? The GP-1 tracks latitude, longitude and elevation, so I would want at least that. I have heard that some also track headings.

I also have a Garmin Fenix 6 Pro watch. I wonder if that can by linked using Bluetooth to a Nikon camera?

Comments

• Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    I did not find an option to connect a device "wireless" to the camera for GPS purposes.

I have the Garmin 245, where you can save the location, same as the Fenix 6 pro has, press the "Light" button and you see the location Icon, if not you must add it first.

In Lightroom you can add it easy in the "map" tab, select the photo's and drag them to the location on the map, that is what I did after a shoot, for me the quick way. I don't have Adobe anymore. In Capture One it is easy to add the coordinates.

I found that "Geotagr" for iphone is an app for that, but there should be more, can't help with that.

There are many tracking app's for the build in GPS in the mobile phone , but tracking is easy with the Fenix 6, it is build for that as you know. That's why my next Garmin is the Fenix 6X pro solar, because tracking drains batteries.

What I do is at the place I take a photo with my phone and have the exact coordinates to add later. I also do this when I see a place where I want to come back to photograph. This is the cleanest way, no battery drain, quick and easy, only automatic is faster.

The automatic way is Snapbridge. With the Nikon bodies that works with "Snapbridge" the location exif is added as you want. "Basic JPG's" transfers very fast to the mobile phone.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Thanks Tom. My non-solar Fenix gets about 4 days on a charge.

I find the GPS really handy for travel. I can take a picture on the trip and when I load it I find myself researching the subject on line, information that is not easily available when I am capturing the image.
    4 days, same as my Forerunner 245 with one time GPS use per day for 2 hours. The new "solar" Garmins which are available in october, 21 days.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Ton14 said:

4 days, same as my Forerunner 245 with one time GPS use per day for 2 hours. The new "solar" Garmins which are available in october, 21 days.

That is pretty solid. Now if there was only a way to link it to Nikon cameras.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Or using Nikon software sync GPS date from your smartphone to the camera.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Yeah I think that's what they mean for folks to do now. Tether to smartphone and sync GPS data.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    PB_PM said:

Tedious solution, but a solution. Why isn't it internal and embedded in the metadata?
    Always learning.
    edited September 2020

PB_PM said:

Tedious solution, but a solution. Why isn't it internal and embedded in the metadata?
    If you sync the data from your phone, via WIFI/Bluetooth, then it will be embedded in the image data, this isn't an after the fact kind of thing.

No idea why they won't put a GPS in the camera, guess they want you to buy a D6 for that.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    @PB_PM Which Nikon app do you use for that, I can't find a Nikon GPS app for my Android phone, only Snapbridge. There are other app's in the playstore but no Nikon, only Snapbridge.
    It’s through SnapBridge unfortunately.
    OK, clear.
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    on a mac there's a decent app called smart GPS sync
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member

Thinking about my next camera purchase, I noticed that the GP-1 seems to be discontinues. My D850 has it almost permanently affixed to the hot shoe.

I've seen a few different ones on ebay but looking back at the recently sold gp-1's there's some that have sold for as little as $30 used.