Which nikon 1?

daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
I know this question has been talked about but I can't find it.

My mom has a p900 but it suddenly started to not work instead giving a lens issue and I've tried to fix it but no dice.

So I was thinking about a nikon 1 and some of you suggested certain models which is like to know to see if they're financially worth it. She mostly shoots wildlife, moose, elk, deer, bears, etc...

Thanks
Tagged:

Comments

• NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Well to be honest, any Nikon 1 you can get your hands on right now would be kind of sketchy, it's not really a system you can grow with as the product line has been discontinued by Nikon.

As long as you know what you're getting into, I guess you might be able to get a set of lenses and Nikon 1 bodies fairly cheaply, it might be something to play around with. But, since Nikon also just discontinued a bunch of DX mount lenses, the F-mount may not be around for much longer.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I bought my wife the J5 after deciding the P900 was cheap junk. Seems to be a sweet little camera with decent IQ and build quality.
    Always learning.
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    NSXTypeR said:

Well to be honest, any Nikon 1 you can get your hands on right now would be kind of sketchy, it's not really a system you can grow with as the product line has been discontinued by Nikon.

As long as you know what you're getting into, I guess you might be able to get a set of lenses and Nikon 1 bodies fairly cheaply, it might be something to play around with. But, since Nikon also just discontinued a bunch of DX mount lenses, the F-mount may not be around for much longer.

Actually, I didn't know they could use f-mount lenses.

And I do realize they were discontinued quite some time ago but she'd like something smaller and easier to use but without paying 4 million $$ for a sony rx and there's really not much out there anymore. Of course, she and my aunt want something that compares to low light to my d750 lol.

And I wouldn't mind to borrow it for hummers.

She bought the p900 from my aunt brand new for $250 so she couldnt go wrong but this lens error seems rather common on all brands of point n shoots and I doubt it's worth fixing. I'll take it apart ad see if any sand or whatever is stuck in it but it sounds like the gears to me.

I bought my wife the J5 after deciding the P900 was cheap junk. Seems to be a sweet little camera with decent IQ and build quality.

Thanks. The p900 has it's places though like long-range video or scouting for deer, elk, etc.. across several valleys and I get the error but still.

Unfortunately, they won't use the padded window rests or tripods I bought them and they didn't understand why the image quality at max extension was so bad... so i have no idea

NSXTypeR said:

Actually, I didn't know they could use f-mount lenses.

And I do realize they were discontinued quite some time ago but she'd like something smaller and easier to use but without paying 4 million $$ for a sony rx and there's really not much out there anymore. Of course, she and my aunt want something that compares to low light to my d750 lol.

And I wouldn't mind to borrow it for hummers.

She bought the p900 from my aunt brand new for $250 so she couldnt go wrong but this lens error seems rather common on all brands of point n shoots and I doubt it's worth fixing. I'll take it apart ad see if any sand or whatever is stuck in it but it sounds like the gears to me.

Yes, Nikon makes the FT-1 adapter, which was great for adapting exotic telephotos to get crazy reach since with the smaller sensor, everything was 2.7x the focal length. People were getting some really nice results. I still wish Nikon had stayed with the 1 cameras, at least to keep the AW-1 around, kind of like a modern day Nikonos. As long as you know what you're getting yourself into, it would be fun to get into the Nikon 1 system.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Lens-Adapters/FT-1-Mount-Adapter.html
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    NSXTypeR said:

NSXTypeR said:

Yes, Nikon makes the FT-1 adapter, which was great for adapting exotic telephotos to get crazy reach since, with the smaller sensor, everything was 2.7x the focal length. People were getting some really nice results. I still wish Nikon had stayed with the 1 cameras, at least to keep the AW-1 around, kind of like a modern day Nikon's. As long as you know what you're getting yourself into, it would be fun to get into the Nikon 1 system.

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Product/Lens-Adapters/FT-1-Mount-Adapter.html

Thanks for the link.

What you said about the camera's is what I was thinking (except my ignorance about the adaptor). With their prices getting so cheap it'd be a great lil fool around camera. This year my goal is to take less picture, meaning instead of taking 1000 shots of say a bear that's too far away to make prints... I'm just wasting hard drives and shutters. Only going to shoot things that fill up around 1/3 of the viewfinder or more so one of these guys could take over way-too-far-land. That's pretty important here on this side of the mountain as her fav moose are usually far away and unfortunately in the shadows of the mountains usually.

When ppl have something like a p900 they want to focus out as far as it will go and one slight movement and they'll spend the next 30 minutes trying to find the subject with the lens extended lol. On my mom's p900 I limited it to only a few distances and stopped it at the digital zoom which helped. Now if only they'd give in to using a tripod or window ugggg.

But what else is out there with reach and better quality? Really nothing as they all have that mini sensor. The pocket sony's have the bigger sensor so of course better IQ but there zoom range is about 10 ft. This just seems like a better way out.
    edited October 2020
    Sure thing.

I think you could go with a used Sony RX10 or RX100, depending on your needs for reach and be quite satisfied. Both are 1 inch cameras.

I bought my cousin's Sony RX100 MkI for about $200 and it's a pretty decent pocket camera. Of course, Nikon doesn't make any cameras similar to the RX100 or RX10.
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on