Purchase Nikon's 70-300 mm lens?

191011121315»

Comments

• daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    DaveyJ said:

I have every single .Nikon 70-300 lens made or close. Not one is close to the 16-80 or the 200-500. It is a good lens. I like the new AF-P DX VR as much as any. The non DX is necessary if you want FX. I think though the 70-300 is far better on DX. Still as a telephoto zoom, nothing like the bigger 200-500 F5.6.

I finally ordered a 200-500 as my 70-300 is on life support. Of course, the 70-300's aren't going to be amazing but for the price they are.

Got it with the rebate ($200 off) and got them (b&h) to throw in a Manfrotto tripod for free. But strangely for B&H it was supposed to have shipped Friday but I guess it won't go till today but they upgraded shipping to 1 day but then said that it'd arrive Thursday or Friday?

I'm sure they are busy but I also need to get some commissioned shots of bald eagles before all the water is frozen over which might have happened over night. Can't wait to try it though
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited November 2018
    I got my 200-500 from B&H almost two years ago now, and it changed my whole photography
    It is an awesome lens. One thing though, I put a Kirk Plate on mine and a Black Rapid Strap. I got from B&H on sale a Oben tripod that was Arca Swiss Mount. Wow! What a rig that was! I hope daveznspace gets his Manfroto, we own some of those too, with Arca Swiss. But try to get a Black Rapid Strap or something as sure need the Lens to be carried from and supported by the lens, not your camera. Test your 200-500 as soon as you get it! Make sure it is sharp! Mine has no issues whatsoever but at the price some variability has been reported, something Nikon makes sure does not happen with a $12,000 lens! B&H in my experience is the best! And within the 30 day period I hope you will have checked your great lens out! I also should note, I usually shoot at f11. I do not want something with the depth of a huge Whitetail Buck in focus in the muzzle, and out of focus by his neck. I have images of many wildlife species that are awesome and you can still see the scenery around them. If you are speed shooting with say birds in flight, try to prefocus. At the distance you expect them to be. But what a great lens, at a great price. I would rather own that than the new 500 PF Nikon 5.6 which is even lighter, and very fast to focus, BUT just 500. I use my 200-500 throughout the range, and thank heaven it is a nice range. I passed up on the Tamron 150-600 G2 after an extensive test. I also have a best friend who uses the 150-600 G1 a lot. I notice though he usually uses his Tamron 70-300 over his 150-600. Good luck Daveznspace.....
    Hope we hear it works great! Thom Hogan considers that lens to be one of the best photo deals in the entire world.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    +1 DaveyJ. Well said. I am going to have to look at the Black Rapid Strap for my 200-500. I tend to carry it upside down by the tripod mount with a RRRS Arca Swiss mount.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @Photobug: RRRS - that must be Really Really Right Stuff? So is that an upgrade over the normal RRS stuff? ;)
    Always learning.
    DaveyJ said:

I got my 200-500 from B&H almost two years ago now, and it changed my whole photography
    It is an awesome lens. Good luck Daveznspace.....
    Hope we hear it works great! Thom Hogan considers that lens to be one of the best photo deals in the entire world.

It came today and lucky it's similar in size and weight as the 70-300 :D

I took it out but raptors were scarce but got some of the neighborhood punks.. deer, antelope, Buffalo... on the way to my main eagle spot. Of course right as I got there the sun faded behind the clouds for sunset. I got some of one of the Golden Eagles, even wide open at 500mm it's impressively sharp. I'll go out the next few days and get some in the sun. Last week there was a day I saw over 90 bald eagles in one spot, just got to find something that's dead lol

Right now I'm in Wyoming near Yellowstone in a town of 300 surrounded by mountains and ranches so if I can get past the deer in the driveway I'm literally right on animals and raptors at the end of the street. I will definitely give it a good workout.

The Manfrotto tripod is pretty nice for what it is. It's the same design that the jacka**es at 3 legged thing ripped off except it uses decent components and I don't see all the issues the 3lt has (especially the mount that doesn't just freely slide off). But overall, $200 off the lens, a free $150 tripod and overnight shipping and 4% rewards, ends up being a pretty good deal.

I will definitely look into a strap system for it, I actually will need to as I have an injured hand that apparently after 2 years workman comp isn't going to fix even though I have a court order for it... uggg. I'll need to dig out my monopod for sure too.

I can see what all the fuss is about though and for the price.. that's a lot of glass!

@Photobug: RRRS - that must be Really Really Right Stuff? So is that an upgrade over the normal RRS stuff? ;)

Oh great...flying fingers. Yup, its RRS. Would love to see their new place in Utah.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    DaveyJ said:

Test your 200-500 as soon as you get it! Make sure it is sharp!

It appears I wasn't so lucky and going to call b&h in am to swap me out another one.

When it hits its very sharp but most shots over 400mm were off so I tried to af fine tune it... 200 was fine, 300 was still ok, 400 & 500 were above the 20 point limit and going to do the beyond 20 fix.

DaveyJ said:

Test your 200-500 as soon as you get it! Make sure it is sharp!

It appears I wasn't so lucky and going to call b&h in am to swap me out another one.

When it hits its very sharp but most shots over 400mm were off so I tried to af fine tune it... 200 was fine, 300 was still ok, 400 & 500 were above the 20 point limit and going to do the beyond 20 fix.

Actually, mine ended up being fine, I just had to change and learn how to shoot it. You can't shoot it like the 70-300.

It's definitely sharp tho! I haven't had too many great sunny days to really get anything great, a few eagles but not super close. Stupid Wyoming weather
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Just curious, anyone try using the 70-300 AF-P FX on the D7000? Seems like it's compatible based off of Thom Hogan's charts, but I don't want to buy it blindly and risk it not working right.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    I have both, bought the 70-300 for interim use on the Z6, but was curious about that same thing. A bit of internet research revealed that it'll work on the D7000, but it loses focus when the camera goes to sleep. Oh well... :smiley:

If I decide to replace it with something like the 24-200 f/4-6.3, it'll get relegated to the D7000 bag...
    ggbutcher said:

I have both, bought the 70-300 for interim use on the Z6, but was curious about that same thing. A bit of internet research revealed that it'll work on the D7000, but it loses focus when the camera goes to sleep. Oh well... :smiley:

If I decide to replace it with something like the 24-200 f/4-6.3, it'll get relegated to the D7000 bag...

Thanks.

I've looked at a few sites and that's the general consensus.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    edited October 2020
    i have at LEAST 5 different 70-300 Nikon lens. The Nikon 200-500 f5.6 beats them all by a margin that is unbelievable. My 70-300 AF0P DX VR is pretty good. Mostly I use it on D7200. My Nikon 200-500 I use on my D7500 and D500. The newest 70-300 FX lens is the ONLTY one I don't own. I have a friend I photograph with a lot and he uses a Tamron lens in that category. He uses it on his D7200. That is also a pretty decent lens. As to the 200-500 I use it on an Oben tripod a lot but have had great results handheld with the 200-500 on 500 mm. I use a Black Rapid Strap on it all the time and that has an Arca Swiss mount.
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    The new FX AF-P lens is great, and is far better than the DX version. I have used both and there is no comparison. Honestly I though the DX version kind of stunk especially at the long end.
    Literally was just about to get it. I was waiting for some gift cards for Best Buy and the price went up $50. I'm in no rush, so it's no big deal. Just about 2 weeks ago they were selling for ~$550, the FX AF-P version.
    The FX AF-P has generally been at 550 for a while now. Maybe it came off discount for a bit? I imagine it will be back to 550 soon.
    mhedges said:

The FX AF-P has generally been at 550 for a while now. Maybe it came off discount for a bit? I imagine it will be back to 550 soon.

Yes, I was a little disappointed it rose back up to $600, but I'm patient.
    Slightly OT but anyone have experience with the Sigma or Tamron 100-400 lenses? I'm thinking of trying one, since who knows when the Z 100-400 will be out. And it will quite possibly be out of my price range anyway.

Particularly looking for comparisons with the FX 70-300 AF-P but also interested in any opinions of either lens. I'll be using it for soccer pics so AF speed is important - from what I have read the Tamron has an advantage in that area.
    mhedges said:

Slightly OT but anyone have experience with the Sigma or Tamron 100-400 lenses? I'm thinking of trying one, since who knows when the Z 100-400 will be out. And it will quite possibly be out of my price range anyway.

Particularly looking for comparisons with the FX 70-300 AF-P but also interested in any opinions of either lens. I'll be using it for soccer pics so AF speed is important - from what I have read the Tamron has an advantage in that area.

+1 on your comment, you need a fast focusing lens for sports.

Local dealers here rent various Tamron, Nikon and Canon lens. I would rent the 100-400 for a weekend and get your daughter and a soccer friend to practice and shoot away if you have no games that weekend.

Personally prefer Tamron over Sigma but that is just me. If you can't rent the lens locally then I would go for rental at a larger regional store. I know there are a couple of places that rent lenses in the USA.
    Photobug said:

mhedges said:

Local dealers here rent various Tamron, Nikon and Canon lens. I would rent the 100-400 for a weekend and get your daughter and a soccer friend to practice and shoot away if you have no games that weekend.

Personally prefer Tamron over Sigma but that is just me. If you can't rent the lens locally then I would go for rental at a larger regional store. I know there are a couple of places that rent lenses in the USA.
    Yes I'm thinking of renting the Tamron. There is a tournament coming up in mid November - that will give me plenty of chances to try it out. Lensrentals has it for ~$50 for a week.
    mhedges said:

Photobug said:

mhedges said:

Yes I'm thinking of renting the Tamron. There is a tournament coming up in mid November - that will give me plenty of chances to try it out. Lensrentals has it for ~$50 for a week.
    That is an excellent price and worth the rental fee. That will give you the opportunity to use it over several days I could not remember the names of any rental companies.

My only suggestion, shoot some pictures before going to the game....that way your familiar with the lens and figuring out the best way to support your horizontal and vertical shots. Also shot some at 300mm and 350mm and 400mm and then really look at them on the computer to see if there is any fall off in sharpness.
    If anyone was on the fence about the 70-300 AF-P it's $400 on discount along with many other Nikkor lenses. It would be almost impulse buy price at this point.

The Nikkor Z50 is also on sale too.