News about Nikon Z70/Z-equivalent of the D7x00 series

Hi there,
I just want to ask, if anybody has some infos/rumors about a Z-equivalent of the D7x00 series.
It's a shoot in the dark, I know, but I need sth better than the Z50, but I don't want to go FF.
Z70 in addition with the 18-140mm would be thee setup I'm interested in.
Somewhere I read, the Z70 could have IBIS. Alternative would be the soon to be released X-S10.
But, though I'm a nikon guy, I'd rather wait, but I'm eager to shoot again, so I can't wait forever :/

Hope someone has some new infos/rumors.

Greetings Daniel
Tagged:

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    No rumours of another DX Z camera at this point. I think the release of the Z5 points to the Z50 being the high end DX body, there might be a lower end model, but all we can do is guess at this point.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Agree with PB. I'll be surprised to see a higher end DX Z camera but do expect a lower end model at some point.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I actually want a new F-mount D7500, but I highly doubt that would still happen at this point.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • KnockKnockKnockKnock Posts: 398Member
    Take a look at bythom.com or sansmiror.com. He argues there is market space for it and model name space as you suggest. I hope it comes true. Something like a Z6 mkII body with a DX sensor. Actual info? Haven't seen anything.
    D7100, D60, 35mm f/1.8 DX, 50mm f/1.4, 18-105mm DX, 18-55mm VR II, Sony RX-100 ii
  • innocent_pigeoninnocent_pigeon Posts: 8Member
    I feared it :(
    But thank you anyway!
    Now I hope, we get new infos/rumors before the X-S10 is released :blush:
    Hope dies last
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    The suggestion of a Z70 I think came from the time before Z50 was announced and there was speculation on the designation.
    I saw that latest post by Thom discounting the need for a Z30 but I disagree. I think that market is still too big to ignore, and they need to have kits on the shelves at Target / Walmart. Maybe Z50 will be discounted more and can take that spot but I'm not sure it will get there.
    edited October 2020
    I'm reevaluating my options right now, and I'm trying to figure out what to do.

I'm kind of in the market for a replacement for the D7000 and I'm looking at the D7500 but that's gotten quite old now. I'm in no rush, but I do want a 70-300 AF-P FX.

I'm wondering what it's like to shoot with the F to Z adapter on a regular basis.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    Post edited by NSXTypeR on
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    Using the 70-300 AF-P FX on the Z 6, handles nicely, focuses okay (not doing sports or BIF). The only pain I haven't worked through yet is what quick-release plate to use. I currently use Manfrotto plates on their head, and I have to remove the plate on the camera before mounting the FTZ adapter.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    NSXT. having shot with the D7000 for a couple of years "in the day" I can tell you that anything will be a mega improvement ...16 MP and a heavy low pass filter does not compare with a D7200. So you can move up for much less money than a Z.
    I would not suggest the Z6 or Z6ii as they have a LPF even if its weaker.
    edited October 2020
    I've used the FX 70-300 AF-P on D7200 and Z6; works very well on both. My only real complaint with Z6 use via adapter is if you are using a tripod and need to switch to native lenses. That's kind of a nightmare. But if no tripod or using all adapted lenses then its really pretty transparent.

I mostly use the 70-200 VRII lens on FTZ lately but here's an album shot with the AF-P lens if you are interested:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmEvc2cH
    Post edited by mhedges on
    ggbutcher said:

Using the 70-300 AF-P FX on the Z 6, handles nicely, focuses okay (not doing sports or BIF). The only pain I haven't worked through yet is what quick-release plate to use. I currently use Manfrotto plates on their head, and I have to remove the plate on the camera before mounting the FTZ adapter.

That's an important point. I rarely use tripods, but that's something I didn't consider.

NSXT. having shot with the D7000 for a couple of years "in the day" I can tell you that anything will be a mega improvement ...16 MP and a heavy low pass filter does not compare with a D7200. So you can move up for much less money than a Z.
    I would not suggest the Z6 or Z6ii as they have a LPF even if its weaker.

Yeah, I'm just thinking that I might be getting a camera that might be a bit ancient. The D7500 is almost 3 years old and I would like it to have more modern features, like charging via USB battery packs like the D780 does.
    mhedges said:

I've used the FX 70-300 AF-P on D7200 and Z6; works very well on both. My only real complaint with Z6 use via adapter is if you are using a tripod and need to switch to native lenses. That's kind of a nightmare. But if no tripod or using all adapted lenses then its really pretty transparent.

I mostly use the 70-200 VRII lens on FTZ lately but here's an album shot with the AF-P lens if you are interested:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmEvc2cH

Thanks for the samples! Shooting on tripod is definitely something to consider.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I use the D7500 with the 200-500 5.6 and the Z50 with the 16-50 and the 50-250 almost every day. The D7500 is a GREAT camera! It may be three years old but it is still a GREAT camera. It is faster than the Z50 and I use the D7200 mostly with the 16-80. The D7500 is faster than the D7200. I still don't own a digital FF Nikon.
    edited November 2020
    DaveyJ said:

I use the D7500 with the 200-500 5.6 and the Z50 with the 16-50 and the 50-250 almost every day. The D7500 is a GREAT camera! It may be three years old but it is still a GREAT camera. It is faster than the Z50 and I use the D7200 mostly with the 16-80. The D7500 is faster than the D7200. I still don't own a digital FF Nikon.

I have no doubt it's an excellent replacement, it's 3 generations ahead. That's the difference between a D100 and a D500 haha.

I'm just waiting out to see what my options might be. Nikon hasn't truly made a D500 or D7500 equivalent in Z-mount, so it's hard to say. On one hand, I don't want to wait forever and lose out on photographic opportunities. It's the same issue I have with purchasing the 70-300 AF-P FX- if I knew Nikon was going to make a Z mount equivalent, I'd likely not get it.

To be fair, not that such minute changes in gear would improve my photography by any means, but I'd like to get the best bang for my buck by making an educated purchase. And perhaps I might be able to take advantage of the slight size benefits of mirrorless cameras.

At the least, I'd want a camera with USB battery pack recharging as I already carry one for my phone anyway.
    Anyone read Thom Hogan's article on the state of Nikon DSLRs? He's predicting this year might be the last year DSLRs are even sold, with iterations unlikely for anything under the D850, which is what most members here were predicting up in this thread.

It kind of makes me antsy, as I'd rather not mess with a F to Z adapter if I can make do with a native F mount DSLR. Then again, there really isn't a Z mount equivalent of a D7500 yet.
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Thom thinks that only about crop sensor DSLRs.
  • retreadretread Posts: 574Member
    I am not interested in a DX upgrade if it is not the D500. love mine could add a few things. Might bite on a high megapixel DX, My backup is a D7200. I would like to move to FX. D6 and a D850 or D8?? if one comes along at a price I can afford. I do have two more grandchildren who need an F mount entry level so they can borrow my lenses. Z mount not where I am interested yet but will have to bee with the FTZ if I get one.
    D850 is $2500 right now. That's a pretty solid deal IMO.
    NSXTypeR said:

Anyone read Thom Hogan's article on the state of Nikon DSLRs? He's predicting this year might be the last year DSLRs are even sold, with iterations unlikely for anything under the D850, which is what most members here were predicting up in this thread.

Assuming we are talking about the same article I didn't take that he meant DSLR sales will stop next year. He specifically said he thought Nikon would continue FX till 2023 or 2024 at least.
    NSXTypeR said:

It kind of makes me antsy, as I'd rather not mess with a F to Z adapter if I can make do with a native F mount DSLR. Then again, there really isn't a Z mount equivalent of a D7500 yet.

Z50 is pretty close to D7500, I think? What is it lacking?
    edited November 2020

Thom thinks that only about crop sensor DSLRs.

Right, I misread that. But considering that FX DSLRs won't stick around much longer, unless you have a huge range of FX lenses it doesn't seem to make too much sense to stick with DSLRs in general unless you're a pro shooter. Besides, I wouldn't expect too many new FX lenses to be produced from here on out.
    retread said:

I am not interested in a DX upgrade if it is not the D500. love mine could add a few things. Might bite on a high megapixel DX, My backup is a D7200. I would like to move to FX. D6 and a D850 or D8?? if one comes along at a price I can afford. I do have two more grandchildren who need an F mount entry level so they can borrow my lenses. Z mount not where I am interested yet but will have to bee with the FTZ if I get one.

D500 doesn't have the flash which isn't really a dealbreaker, but it definitely is useful for me.
    mhedges said:

D850 is $2500 right now. That's a pretty solid deal IMO.

NSXTypeR said:

Assuming we are talking about the same article I didn't take that he meant DSLR sales will stop next year. He specifically said he thought Nikon would continue FX till 2023 or 2024 at least.
    NSXTypeR said:

Z50 is pretty close to D7500, I think? What is it lacking?
    You know, you're actually right. Missing maybe the top display which is really useful in low light, but that's about it.

Edit- Well, considering I just bought an EN-EL 15 battery, I was hoping the Z50 used it and it doesn't, so it has that against it haha.

Oh and no USB-C port for charging, which would have been super useful.
    Right, I misread that. But considering that FX DSLRs won't stick around much longer, unless you have a huge range of FX lenses it doesn't seem to make too much sense to stick with DSLRs in general unless you're a pro shooter. Besides, I wouldn't expect too many new FX lenses to be produced from here on out.

I see. I have a couple of dozen f-mount lenses and since I would like to get 10 plus years out of them shooting them natively, I need to keep buying DSLRs to maintain the ability.

One modification to those plans that has crystalized over the last month however. I will buy a Z, probably a Z 6ii, and mount an FTZ adapter permanently to it. I have 7 or 8 AIS lenses plus the 135 f/2.0. I have started buying good condition used AIS and D lenses. Last week I took delivery of a 105 2.5, 200 4.0 and 85 1.4D.

I will use the Z as a mf camera for these lenses. I really like how the focus peaking breathes new life into those lenses. I don't mind the FTZ if I don't have to fiddle with it. It will stay on the Z permanently.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Steve from Backcountry gallery seemed to indicate that the Z6II has not improved AF speed with the adaptor at all. Sad really.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.

I see. I have a couple of dozen f-mount lenses and since I would like to get 10 plus years out of them shooting them natively, I need to keep buying DSLRs to maintain the ability.

One modification to those plans that has crystalized over the last month however. I will buy a Z, probably a Z 6ii, and mount an FTZ adapter permanently to it. I have 7 or 8 AIS lenses plus the 135 f/2.0. I have started buying good condition used AIS and D lenses. Last week I took delivery of a 105 2.5, 200 4.0 and 85 1.4D.

I will use the Z as a mf camera for these lenses. I really like how the focus peaking breathes new life into those lenses. I don't mind the FTZ if I don't have to fiddle with it. It will stay on the Z permanently.

I think lenses are still lacking for the DX Z mount system. With only the two base model kit zooms, I really am not interested in slower zooms, even if they're smaller. I'm not asking for exotic f/2.8 zooms, I'm asking for f/5.6 at the long end of 250mm, not f/6.3. Also, even if I can afford it, I'm hoping Nikon doesn't pull a FX is better than DX and only make lenses for the Z mount FX. I want a full set of lenses for DX and FX Z mount, especially the primes.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator

Why not use the D850? It has focus peaking.
    Always learning.
    Not through the viewfinder.
    NSXTypeR said:

You know, you're actually right. Missing maybe the top display which is really useful in low light, but that's about it.

Edit- Well, considering I just bought an EN-EL 15 battery, I was hoping the Z50 used it and it doesn't, so it has that against it haha.

Oh and no USB-C port for charging, which would have been super useful.

Well it does have USB charging but for some reason uses the older USB connector. That seems a strange choice since USB-C is smaller and they were going for small with that camera.