Will the Samyang 14mm MF work with the FTZ

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
When we had the Z demos a couple of years ago I took the Samyang 14mm along and it did not work . Sent the Z into lockdown. But things have moved on and if it will work via its lens chip then its a big tick towards getting a Z.
I know I can get a $40 dumb mount but would prefer the auto exposure mode.
I could change the chip to one from "Nikon Gear" which I am told works with FTZ.

Comments

• PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I posted this on 4 sites but had little response except from UHH
    Well I have an answer due to two americans who contacted me. It may work it may not . Rokinon 14mm has more chance than Samyang .It depends on age of lens ( chip version) and Z firmware. If it does not work the only sure way is to replace the chip with one from Andrey Kuryanov in the Ukraine ( input Nikon Dandelion chip into your ebay) He will send photos so you can see if you are up to it.

Also available intermittently via Nikongear.net.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Don't you still get auto exposure with the dumb mount? I thought you did, you just have to have the lens stopped down to the exposure aperture?
    Works like any other lens auto everyting in A or P mode except focus . Set the aperture in the top LCD and lens at F 22
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited November 2020
    mhedges said:

Don't you still get auto exposure with the dumb mount? I thought you did, you just have to have the lens stopped down to the exposure aperture?

It only works on cameras with the aperture lever, non of the entry level models work with dumb mount leneses. The FT-Z doesn’t have the lever to read the aperture setting from the lens. It likely doesn’t work with the hacked firmware on Pistnbroke’s chipped lens. If he had the dumb mount it would be fine, but he would have to manually change the aperture on the lens, no in camera aperture control.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    edited November 2020
    Well the FTZ works with my N 28-300 which has the aperture finger on the lens so it will work with the Samyang 14mm which also has the finger. The FTZ does have a lever/sensor within it to control the lens aperture ...thats why it has a lump on the bottom.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    edited November 2020
    The big zoom is a G lens, the Samyang is not, makes a big difference. You must manually adjust the aperture on D lenses on the FT-Z. It’s not the aperture lever on the butt of the lens, but rather the link on the aperture ring that needs a coupling, the FT-Z does not have it, so the camera will not control the aperture automatically. All DSLRs D7xxxx and up have it. The Z cameras and the FT-Z do not, which is why Nikon lists it as working with G/E lenses.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    edited November 2020
    Sorry mate FTZ has the little lever to operate the aperture finger on the Samy 14mm,.That is all you need.The Sammy behaves just like a G lens except MF
    Look here .pic of FTZ on the Z6 . whats that I see in the throat.

https://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/mirrorless/lenses/ftz.htm

So you set the lens to f22 and the taking aperture in the top LCD QED.

If I/we/you are confusing the indexing ring with the feeler finger then the indexing ring is not important for the operation of the SAM 14 MM which works fine even on a D3200

Since it doesn’t work on your Z camera, there person who is wrong seems to be you mate.
    edited November 2020
    PB-PM
    I am going to call an end to this one as you clearly misunderstand the purpose of the thread ( will it work ) .I have established that all the physical attributes are present on the FTZ ,that many lenses work out the box while some need a simple chip change.
    Thanks everyone for your interest .I am now one step nearer buying a Z.