Z7II and SnapBridge Issues

There appears to be an issue with the current version of SnapBridge when used with the new z7II. Specifically when downloading a raw file. Although, the photo displays correctly on my IPhone 7 and IPad Pro 11, it will not save correctly to the camera roll. The iphone/iPad camera roll shows that a photo has been imported but but not image information appears, just a blank white square. This is not an issue when downloading as a jpeg. In addition, a similar problem exists when importing to the latest version of Lightroom Mobile, on either device. In this case when exporting as an ‘original’ file the photo exports with an odd extension. For example dsc123_nef.tiff. When opening on my Mac pro and viewIng the file info., It’s actually being uploaded as a 160x120 pixel image. Can’t really determine if this is a Apple, Lightroom or Snapbridge problem. Maybe a combination of all three. Would be interested to hear if there are any z6ii owners that are experiencing similar problems.

Comments

• SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    I have never been able to get SnapBridge to work to any reliable level. I always end up using WMU.
  • pcassitypcassity Posts: 12Member
    Since Nikon improved the wifi function, it has become very reliable. I have no need to use it on a regular basis. However, when out on a hike or anywhere that I would like to share quick, edited photo it’s a nice feature. The issue that I originally described makes that impossible unless I decide to settle for a jpeg. I prefer to be able to upload a raw file using Snapbridge to my iPad Pro, importing into Lightroom Mobile, and lastly exporting as a nicely edited jpeg. I as assuming at the moment that the IOS of the iPad is the hiccup and will probably be resolved in a later update. Would like to hear from a z6ii owner as to whether they have encounter similar issues.
    I upload from events a lot.... or at least I did back where there were events to upload from... I think the last time I tried to use Snap Bridge with the Z6 was in early 2020 and I could get it to work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong but I have always found WMU to be faster and more reliable.

I'll have to try Snap Bridge again and see it is works better now.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Snapbridge works fine on my Android devices for the Z6 and the wifi has indeed improved a lot since the update.

I don't have a Z6II ......

If you import the photo without Snapbridge, do you also get the white area, if so it seems that the RAW converter is not working properly yet for LR. A lot has been said about this on the net.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
    Yes. When importing to iPad Pro through a card reader, still get only a white square. It appears the issue may be a z7II incompatibility issue between Snapbridge and Apple IOS.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    I get that it's a nuisance but I think these kinds of things are to be expected when cameras are just released.

Did everything work as you want with the original Z6/Z7?
    Snapbridge works fine with the Z6, my workflow:

Upload with Snapbridge .JPG's and sometimes the RAW files to my Samsung S10, the photos go directly to my NAS and are also available on my Surface Pro 7 in Capture One. This is now my tether system without cables,

The .JPG's transfer fast and automatic, the RAW files are slow, but I only select a few RAW photos.

If I want to have all RAW images to my Samsung S10, the cardreader makes it fast, so I always use this method for RAWs.
    I wonder if my issues are caused by the phone I'm using. I use iPhones and have never gotten it to work right. I'm regularly seeing people say they get it to work with no issues. I wonder how many of them are also iPhone users.
    Mhedges, no problem at all with z7 files. Was hopeful this morning that the new ios 14.3 update would address the issue. However, no luck. As I get more used to importing and editing with Lightroom Mobile I am finding that the IPad’s inability to display a raw file is not that important. However, anyone that has been importing to the iPad’s camera roll and editing with the camera roll’s built in editing feature, will be disappointed until there is an update that addresses this issue.
    @Searcy With my Android phone I did the following steps month ago:

1. Delete the Snapbridge app, after empty the cache and data.
    2. Restart the mobile phone.
    3. Installed Snapbridge again.
    4. Started Snapbridge and gave every permission Snapbridge asked for pairing.
    5. Followed the steps for the camera.

Be patient for the last step, because it seems like it doesn't succeed, but sometimes it takes a couple of minutes. Today I did it again to check and it works.

Maybe this works for iphone too.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    @pcassity interesting. Well to be honest I would think that the fix would have to come from Nikon. I can't imagine that a giant company like Apple can be bothered to make software updates to add RAW file support for whatever new cameras happen to be released. But I could be wrong.