digitising slides using the ES-2 & 105mm Macro

I want to digitise my 35mm slides. Seen the Nikon ES-2 in reviews and it does a pretty good job in digitising with the use of the camera. Whats troubling me is the Nikor 105mm macro lens that i have and might not be compatible with the ES-2.
1. has anyone got an opinion on this issue?
2. other than the ES-2 can i use something else with my camera to digitise my slides?

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    The ES-2 is designed for use with the 60mm F2.8 (D or G), so I'm not sure the 105 would work well with it. Most of the third party versions also seem to fall into the same category, it's to do with perspective.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • zoranzoran Posts: 34Member
    Can you please tell me which are the third party versions you are referring to?
    Also what do u mean "it's to do with perspective" ?
    Third party knock offs of the ES-2, not sure about any specific brands, I just saw some when I looked up the ES-2 in the past.

As for perspective, Nikon suggests the 60mm macro because it is closer to a normal perspective (giving a flat field of view), less distortion and compression than the 105mm macro. Those are Just the nature of the different focal lengths.
    Suppose i will not use the ES-2, but use the 105. What if i place the slides on a lighted surface and i shoot it, at a distance, will i still have distortion and all the things i dont want from the 105macro?
    The ES-2 doesn't cause the distortion, it's the lens. Telephoto lenses don't have a flat field of view, it's just the nature of optics. It can work and be corrected, depending on the software you use, but it will take time and lower image quality.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    PB_PM said:

As for perspective, Nikon suggests the 60mm macro because it is closer to a normal perspective (giving a flat field of view), less distortion and compression than the 105mm macro. Those are Just the nature of the different focal lengths.

I can't see that perspective comes into it because the job is 2D not 3D?

Regarding distortion, the 60mm D was designed for industrial semiconductor use (IIRC) so it the absolute best lens for the job IMHO.
    Always learning.
    The perspective does matter photographing a 2D object. It can lead to uneven sharpness across a slide or film negative. I cannot say why, this is just what I have heard from pros who digitized thousands of slides and rolls of film.
    From what i understand, using the 105 and the ES is a no no for digitising slides. So what are my options now? A scanner perhaps?
    PB_PM said:

The perspective does matter photographing a 2D object. It can lead to uneven sharpness across a slide or film negative. I cannot say why, this is just what I have heard from pros who digitized thousands of slides and rolls of film.

Sounds more like a curvature of field issue combined with the tiny DoF you would get which is another reason for using the 60mmD.
    Always learning.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    OK I may be missing something here but to me the primary issue would be that the 105 has a much narrower field of view so you would have to have the slide farther away which the system isn't designed to do.
    I am not familiar with any slide copying gear, so you may well be right. I am familiar with the 60mm D & G, and am confused by PB's point about perspective.
    Always learning.