I did it.... I got a mirrorless, check this bad boy out, it's so light it feels only like a feather

daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
:p

Funky but gets ya out to 1350mm or so lol

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Looks like a Nikon 1 camera of some sort to me. So it's like a 2.7 crop factor.

I still think the Nikon 1 had a lot of unfilled potential and it died sooner than it should have.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited January 2021
    Yup, that's a Nikon 1, and they are really showing their age. The AF is way behind the Z cameras for one. I still have an AW-1 for when I go out on the water, but it doesn't get a lot of use otherwise.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    mhedges said:

Cool!

What is it?

a $50 nikon j1 lol
    NSXTypeR said:

Looks like a Nikon 1 camera of some sort to me. So it's like a 2.7 crop factor.

I still think the Nikon 1 had a lot of unfilled potential and it died sooner than it should have.

This one I got for my mom and is the "base" model, I might pick up a j5 which looks cool too but yeah I'm a bit surprised with it.

Fairly limited by light like the p900 it replaced but for someone like me it sure has a lot of potential uses.
    PB_PM said:

Yup, that's a Nikon 1, and they are really showing their age. The AF is way behind the Z cameras for one. I still have an AW-1 for when I go out on the water, but it doesn't get a lot of use otherwise.

but still... I bought that and 3 lenses, a bag and more for $127.

Stick it in my pocket for the extra reach when the bears, elk,, etc.. are just too far for full frame. Decent video and small enough I could mount it on hotshot and get video at sametime. Sure it's getting old but my d700 is older and still my fav. And I only got the $20 f-mount converter which I don't mind.

Could it be better? sure. But for $50 or less to throw in your bag and find ways to use it is kinda cool. Like the p900 it's best use will be video for mostly bears that are really far away (for me anyway).

If you're not using the aw 1 feel free to send it to me :p

But the very best use will most definitely be when in a big crowd and watching ppl's faces when you take your reg body off and slap that lil sucker on lol. I was dying when I did these.
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    edited January 2021
    It makes me a little sad to think about Nikon 1. I think it had potential. Nice to see it being used though. It looks great.

@daveznspace: Can you show us some images taken with that setup?
    Post edited by snakebunk on
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited January 2021
    That 500mm lens is putting a bird image on the sensor the same size as it would on a FX so lets cut this 1350mm cr@p BUT with the 2.7 crop it is equivalent to putting the image onto a 145MP FX sensor and that gives you the POI you need.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    snakebunk said:

It makes me a little sad to think about Nikon 1. I think it had potential. Nice to see it being used though. It looks great.

I've only had it out once, got a few bison and there might be something ok in there, I'll look. My main issues that day (as the first time I actually did it was 1. the sun had already dropped below the mountain and I was at iso 3200 (wish it had 6400) but was a bit dark for it, even my D750 was struggling and I'd just bought that gimbal head and was the first time I'd tried it. With a DSLR on there with the 200-500 it was fine, pop the lil bugger on there and I'm sure you can imagine as it was bouncing quite a bit as it taught me a lesson, you really need a long plate for those and I couldn't get it "still"... That was my bad.

I'll look and see if not I'll go shoot something, luckily here you just walk outside.

However, I did use the combo to video my super duper rare arctic white great horned owl the other day, I haven't looked at it yet but I will here in a bit.

As a side note, to start I just bought a $25 adaptor but I find MFing so much easier with it.
    snakebunk said:

As far as them still being used.

$50-250(j5) insurance policy in your shirt pocket at some point will save your butt.

Even today I had to shoot a clients groundbreaking ceremony and I have this lil "extender " that you put one end in the hot shoe then can manipulate how it bends and whatnot. So I attached an iPhone mount to it and stuck the j1 in it and used it for video while I shot.

If nothing else they can open up the possibilities you never thought of.

That 500mm lens is putting a bird image on the sensor the same size as it would on a FX so lets cut this 1350mm cr@p BUT with the 2.7 crop it is equivalent to putting the image onto a 145MP FX sensor and that gives you the POI you need.

There's a lot to figure out no doubt but it will only make you better. Remember I bought this for my mom... She's pretty stunned at thinking somethings too far for me to get but she could slap the j1 on it and easily get it or if nothing else good video of it.

Her issue right now is that she never really "got" the p900 and mostly because she didn't understand that the farther you zoom a microscopic movement will screw it up especially when she won't use the tripod, monopod or window rests I got her.

So she's looking at all these camera's that she thinks will give better IQ but doesn't understand these lil power zooms all mostly use the same tiny sensor, they'll loose quality zoomed out too but they just don't zoom as far but close in the p900 is just as good..

So she's stuck wanting a bigger sensor (especially since she shoots moose that are down in the shadows here usually) with a big zoom range that's very heavily stabilized but it doesn't exist ..
    snakebunk said:

I found this which I took a pic of the screen with iPhone. Was literally dialing in the exposure as the last rays of light blasted the bejesus outta me. That moment was tricky but it handled it well, that bison was being backlit.

I'll get some more this week hopefully, just remind me... I been staying off the net for 3-4 days at a time lately... and it feels damn good lol
    snakebunk said:

Even if Nikon kept it around as a modern day Nikonos it would have been worth it. People want a rugged camera with good image quality, and if there's anything to justify a high price purchase, that would be it.

But then Nikon killed it too.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Yeah it was strange, from what I heard, from talking to dealers, that the AW1 sold extremely well, far better than any of the other Nikon 1 bodies. I think for a while it was one of the best purpose made underwater cameras available to the average consumer. I think what killed it was the lack of lens choices.
    PB_PM said:

Yeah it was strange, from what I heard, from talking to dealers, that the AW1 sold extremely well, far better than any of the other Nikon 1 bodies. I think for a while it was one of the best purpose made underwater cameras available to the average consumer. I think what killed it was the lack of lens choices.

Some of that might be because of the big Thailand flooding that disrupted a lot of manufacturing. I remember some rumors about a Nikon equivalent of a Sony RX100 (big sensor, small but pocketable) that was also cancelled that probably would have sold well had Nikon made it.
    Those were canceled due to earthquakes in Japan, which damaged one of Nikon's factories, which also happened at the same time as the Thailand floods.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member

I'll get some more this week hopefully, just remind me... I been staying off the net for 3-4 days at a time lately... and it feels damn good lol

That is an extremely sensible strategy! One I should attempt.