Amazon Photo Goods...Good?

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
edited February 2021 in Nikon DSLR cameras
We have all read about SD cards not being genuine even if purchased from Amazon but I had another experience.
I bought a camera and it had a faulty battery,The seller offered to send me one via Amazon...no problem I got a DSTE EN EL 15 next day .The failed battery was not original so 3 rd party was OK . But the date on the battery was 2014 so its 6+ years old. Difficult to get into a full argument with Amazon as I did not buy it ( £12.50 $15) but I have asked for an explanation.
Will let you know
Post edited by Pistnbroke on

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Was it the original (no suffix) EN-EL15 battery? If so then I expect any of them will be quite old now, I don't think they have made those for a while.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Pistnbroke said it's a third party battery, so it's not original whatever the case.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Oh oops missed that
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited February 2021
    Interesting comment MH .. looked into it and you do not get any b or c EN EL 15 batteries in third party ..copyright or chip technology problem ?? But the AH capacity is higher than it was in 2014 so I think someone has just copied the label and it is not 6 years old ...I suspect no answer from Amazon as I could only post a "inaccurate product description " alert. At least I made the $c@mming ba$t@rd spend some of his profit and give me the two working batteries promised. Interesting that the MH 25 charger flashed its light ultra fast to indicate the battery was faulty. Never seen that quoted anywhere.
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    edited February 2021
    It’s hard to say what you are really getting with some of those third party packs. I bought third party batteries years ago, first gen EN-EL15, and they were rated with higher AH numbers, but those were just false labeling. You could tell the battery was much lighter than a genuine Nikon battery, and the proof was in the battery life, never had accurate charge % reported to the camera, and they lasted half as long as a OEM pack.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I mean, you get what you pay for right? You are free to buy what you wish, and I hope the 3rd party accessories work as advertised, but you really are risking your camera when you buy accessories that don't come from the factory. It's somewhat like buying a sports car and filling the car with low octane fuel.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Indeed, would never waste my money on third party packs again. At the time I was between jobs and the Nikon packs just were not in the budget. For $20 each it wasn’t bad, still works in a D7000, the only camera that ever gave accurate readings in, and it’s 9 years old.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    It was more a case of forcing the seller to give what he promised (1 genine 1 3rd party)
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    I don't think (?) I have ordered photo gear from Amazon before, or if I did it was something small I don't remember. However yesterday I ordered an Aodelan wireless trigger and receiver from them, since it has good reviews and is just under forty bucks (the Nikon setup is over two hundred bucks). Based on the reviews I am optimistic. (I used to buy from Adorama but my last order they messed up and were unwilling to resolve it to my satisfaction so I am done with them).

As for batteries I would only buy Nikon original (I know you had no choice because third party is what the buyer sent as replacement). Thankfully I have a Nikon dealer (Tucson Camera Repair) in my city. In fact Nikon is the ONLY brand they sell and the only brand you can buy new in Tucson, except for the entry level stuff Best Buy sells. I would get my battery from them, though again I realize you had no choice. However if it was me, assuming the camera works well, I would still pay the extra for an original battery.
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    I just got another set of photo gear from Amazon. I even went against my own advice above and bought third party battery. As per this thread https://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/5895/d850-battery-grips#latest I got D850 grip and chamber cover and batteries and charger for about one fourth the price of Nikon equivalent. Three separate items (from three manufacturers) but all shipped together in one box. Everything works fine so far.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I still use an Amazon basics back pack as my everyday camera bag. 6 years and counting.
    Always learning.