200-500mm focus issue

2»

Comments

• daveznspacedaveznspace Posts: 180Member
    trolley said:

trolley said:

No bears in UK ? Some of the women have the same characteristics.
    Bite your head off.

And the same facial hair

Thankfully that facial hair probably saves you from finding out about the bum hair!!
    I've never been that close to a bear!
    If you have the 500mm you don't have to be very close :p
  • trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
    I hired a 500mm f5.6PF over Xmas. The weight saving over the 200-500 is very noticeable, as is the slimmer diameter. It was also much sharper and generally focused faster as well.
    But I can't justify the expenditure at the moment. I just hope my insurance claim goes through - other wise it's going to be a bit expensive! :o
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    I have used the 500 5.6 PF. Great lens. But my 200-500 is extremely sharp and I have been very close to Brown Bears with a 12-24 Nikon lens and took the shot with the 12mm setting. Even a 200-500 5.6 lens has proven to be too narrow at the 200 end. Thom Hogan reports some variability in the 200-500. A repair service should be able to fix it. I myself am most waiting for the Z 200-600 as my FTZ adapter remains unused. I also am NOT a fan of teleconverters and after owning two will NEVER buy another.

I trust Nikon will NOT have a TC on the 200-600 like some think it may. That would make the lens more expensive and reduce Nikon's income from the lens. It is also the most anticipated lens according to photographers I shoot with. That is the ones that also are using mirrorless. Many of the pro photo guys I know are still using D500s. Some we have hired to make free photos for racers using our track during AMA Nationals and GNCC.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    DaveyL.... agree with you, my 200-500 is extremely sharp. Love it.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
    Sooo - I paid out for the repair and got half a new 200-500 in return (they replaced a lot). Then yesterday, it decides to jam at about 390mm - won't zoom below that. All working though.
    So I phoned Nikon Service UK. Ah they said, the warranty on repairs is only 6 months and it's now 27 weeks. So you'll have to pay again for a new repair! And the wait time's currently 4-6 weeks. I'm afraid at that point I lost it and let the poor assistant know what I thought of Nikon! I should apologise really - she's just reading a script.
    But this whole thing's a joke. If I pay for another repair - or insurance claim & I pay the excesses, the lens will net me almost nothing if I sell it.
    And I have no long lens for at least a month.
    The funny thing is they say they'll take your old lens off you & give you 20% off any new Nikon lens in their shop - most stuff is out of stock & more expensive than just about any other shop.
    Rant over >:)
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Only six months for warranty on repairs now? Wow, used to be a year.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    And mine was 27 weeks from repair to breakdown!
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    trolley said:

And mine was 27 weeks from repair to breakdown!

Man that is disappointing. About six years ago I had a lens that was out of warranty by one month and they fixed it at no charge. Maybe I got luck or that is just the USA Nikon repair position.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    Nikon is penny pinching everything now, customer service was one of the first things they started to cut.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Maybe you could say that by the time you got it back from repair it was 26? That really sucks.
    Always learning.

Maybe you could say that by the time you got it back from repair it was 26? That really sucks.

They track all returns. Having bollocked them, I've now tried appealing to their better nature :*