With the Z9 and FTZii, my f-mount lenses are now better than before.

WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
I was not happy about using an adapter for my f-mount lenses.

I find myself coming around to the idea. I was having trouble putting my finger on it exactly. But I think it comes down to two things:

Simply, the FTZii does not look like it gets in the way like the FTZ did with its tripod hump. If I leave FTZii adapters permanently attached to selected f-mount lenses, I will not even notice that they are. Of course I have to buy quite a few FTZii adapters.

This one is a little more complicated and it took me a while to wrap my head around it. But I have often said that the camera is just a photon detector. It is the lenses that matter. It is a substantial exaggeration, but it ensures that I never lose site of what really matters to me.

Prior to the arrival of the Z9, the best "photon detector" that I could put on lenses like my 28 1.4E and 105 1.4E was my D850. Sure the Z7ii provided equivalent IQ, but the focus was better with my D850. The Z7ii actually focuses pretty well, but the ergonomics were clunky. One of the most used buttons on my D850 is the focus selector. Sometimes I leave it alone, but when I want to change it I want it to be quick and seamless. On my Z7ii, I have FN2 assigned for that, but it is awkward to use the command dials while depressing FN2. On my D850, my left had is on the focus selector and my right hand is on the command dials. Not clunky - natural. And on my Z7ii, FN1 is assigned to subject tracking. So I have no FN buttons left that I would like to assign other functions to.

With the Z9, it occurs to me that I will have superior ergonomics and superior focus to any camera that I have ever owned before. Especially with 90% focus coverage. And with my Z7ii I felt that my f-mount lenses were diminished, it is obvious to me now that my 8-15 3.5-4.5E, 28 1.4E and 105 1.4E, lenses with no corresponding Z-mount counterparts (I find myself with 2 20mm 1.8 lenses now), are now better than they were before. My 14-24 2.8G, 24-70 2.8E and 70-200 2.8E are also now "better". My only quibble is the 400 2.8E and the 1.4, 1.7 and 2.0 TCs.

Thom pointed out something in his interview with Paul's camera which really resonated with me. For you PF junkies out there (I am not one of them) the roadmap seems to suggest that there will be a 300mm PF (current f-mount), a new 400mm PF, 500mm PF (current f-mount) and a 800mm PF. Wow! Slap a couple of FTZii adapters on the 300mm PF and 500mm PF and forget they are there. That is a wicked lightweight telephoto line up.

Comments

• Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited November 2021
    The PF prime tele 300, 400 and/or 500 seems to me to be a very good cheaper and useful option. The Z9 is all that we wish for and much more.

I also struggled for a while with changing the focus selection and following subjects, but with the latest firmware this has become very easy and quick without dials. After a week or two I started to get used to it.

When I want to follow subjects, I set the AF selector to "Auto-area AF" with AF-C and the AF activation (A7) to on, because I have it to the AF-ON button by default.
    My FN2 button is set to "Subject tracking", so that I immediately have the focus square available in the middle of the EVF, which I aim at my subject, press the shutter half and follow it. All this on my Nikon Z6.

My first two items in "MY MENU" are A4 and A7.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 646Member
    The FTZ 2.0 was sorely needed. I pre-ordered it right with my Z9 and I can't wait to get rid of the first one. With the 500 PF there hasn't ever been a noticeable drop in AF speed that some report, it seems to be aperture dependent.
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    Though I don't need a Z9 (want, but not need), I am intrigued by your take on Z7ii. I currently use D850 (and D500 with my 500PF lens). I am considering Z7ii to lighten my load (along with a couple Z lenses, will not use adaptor). I have read reviews that autofocus is the same as D850 or perhaps slightly better. @WestEndFoto says it is worse, but @Ton14 seems to feel it is on par. I also find changing focus points on D850 quick and intuitive using my thumb on back dial. Is it that much harder on Z7ii?
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    IMHO the only remaining quirk about using F-mount lenses on Z cameras is nomenclature reporting. My AF-P 70-300mm nomenclature isn't in the NEF metadata from the Z 6, which confounds my lens corrections. Now, I'm using FOSS software, not Lightroom or ACR or any of the other commercial offerings; would be interesting in hearing about this from any who do...
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    @WestEndFoto: Does it mean that the 600 mm lens on the roadmap will not be pf?
  • WestEndFotoWestEndFoto Posts: 3,742Member
    Ton14 said:

The PF prime tele 300, 400 and/or 500 seems to me to be a very good cheaper and useful option. The Z9 is all that we wish for and much more.

I also struggled for a while with changing the focus selection and following subjects, but with the latest firmware this has become very easy and quick without dials. After a week or two I started to get used to it.

When I want to follow subjects, I set the AF selector to "Auto-area AF" with AF-C and the AF activation (A7) to on, because I have it to the AF-ON button by default.
    My FN2 button is set to "Subject tracking", so that I immediately have the focus square available in the middle of the EVF, which I aim at my subject, press the shutter half and follow it. All this on my Nikon Z6.

My first two items in "MY MENU" are A4 and A7.

That is how I have mine set Ton14.

Though I don't need a Z9 (want, but not need), I am intrigued by your take on Z7ii. I currently use D850 (and D500 with my 500PF lens). I am considering Z7ii to lighten my load (along with a couple Z lenses, will not use adaptor). I have read reviews that autofocus is the same as D850 or perhaps slightly better. @WestEndFoto says it is worse, but @Ton14 seems to feel it is on par. I also find changing focus points on D850 quick and intuitive using my thumb on back dial. Is it that much harder on Z7ii?

Hi MrFotoFool, I think it is more nuanced that that. I think for some things the Z7ii is better for AF and other things the D850 is better. I have not really succinctly defined what that is, but I have some general ideas.

What is worse is getting to my settings with the Z7ii. But once you are there, it is good. This is why I harp on ergonomics all the time and insist that the Z7ii is not a mirrorless D850, but a mirrorless hi-res D750.
    ggbutcher said:

IMHO the only remaining quirk about using F-mount lenses on Z cameras is nomenclature reporting. My AF-P 70-300mm nomenclature isn't in the NEF metadata from the Z 6, which confounds my lens corrections. Now, I'm using FOSS software, not Lightroom or ACR or any of the other commercial offerings; would be interesting in hearing about this from any who do...

My pet peeve is that aperture from my AIS lenses is not reported through the adapter when I use non-CPU lens. However, that is not as bad as only having 10 CPU lens options on the D850 - the Z6ii and Z7ii have 20.
    snakebunk said:

@WestEndFoto: Does it mean that the 600 mm lens on the roadmap will not be pf?

I really think that this will be a Z version of the 600 4.0E, plus a teleconverter. This is my opinion based on the silhouette. Regarding the teleconverter - Nikon is doing it on the 400 2.8S and it has received such positive critical acclaim, why wouldn't Nikon do it on the 600 4.0S.
    edited November 2021
    Thanks WestEndFoto, that is what I hope for. I don't want pf for my main lens since I've had problems with my 300/4 pf when shooting in hides with mirror glass. And a built in converter would be really nice, in that way you could turn it off when a bird is moving too close, and you have one less thing to worry about.
    Post edited by snakebunk on
    I would love to see some of your bird images Snakebunk.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 646Member
    The 600 on the roadmap is as big as the 400 f/2.8 TC so it is a traditional 600 f/4.0. The 800 is also as big as the 400 and 600 so I expect it is a f/5.6 PF lens.
    @WestEndFoto: I hope to be able to travel again this spring, but until then I have photos from my recent trips here: http://www.snakebunk.com/trips/
    snakebunk said:

@WestEndFoto: I hope to be able to travel again this spring, but until then I have photos from my recent trips here: http://www.snakebunk.com/trips/

Great images Snakebunk. I gravitated towards the Iceland images because I am half Icelandic and have never been there - it is on my bucket list.
    Thank you! Iceland is a very special place. You should put it high on the list :).