tripod feet (why no Arca Swiss?)

MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
This applies also to older F mount telephotos as well as the new Z mount telephotos. Why, oh why, do Nikon and Canon not make their tripod feet Arca Swiss compatible? Sigma and Tamron do it; it seems like such an easy way to appeal to customers. Of course it's good for Kirk and RRS because they make money on people having to buy replacement feet. A week ago I spoke with a staff member from Canon Professional Services who said she had brought up the issue with headquarters due to the demand she is receiving. She believes that as a result of her direction Canon will switch to Arca Swiss feet in the near future. If they do that will be one area where Nikon lags behind (unless they are planning to do the same).

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    I heard it was possibly patent related but maybe that's not the case if Sigma and Tamron can do it.
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    Yes I was wondering that too, if they would have to pay a licensing fee to Arca Swiss? And yet Tamron does it, Sigma does it, Really Right Stuff does it, and as I reported Canon may start doing it.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited October 2021
    Because not everyone uses Arca Swiss plates maybe? They are popular with many enthusiasts, no doubt, but I also see a lot of people (even at pro sporting events) that don't.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Yes but Arca Swiss feet still have the same threads in the bottom for people who use other mounting plates, so it doesn't hurt people who don't need it but it helps people who do. While not everyone uses Arca Swiss, a lot of us do and it is the closest thing to a universal tripod mount as there is.
    To me having the removable plates is better, should the groves in the plate ever get damaged you just replace the plate. That happens to your lens foot, you need an entirely new foot or tripod collar. Which is more expensive?
  • snakebunksnakebunk Posts: 993Member
    Yes, Nikon should definitely be Arca Swiss compatible.

The plates are an unnecessary cost, they add to the weight and there is an added risk that something will break or come loose. I can't see any drawbacks.
    @PB_PM Yes I do like having them removable in case they need to be replaced over time. So we agree there. But if Nikon would make their initial plate Arca Swiss it would save us the cost of having to immediately buy a replacement. The replacement foot from Really Right Stuff (for Z 70-200 and 100-400) is well over a hundred bucks.
    I use Arca Swiss plates on all my gear, you are preaching to the choir folks. ;) By those arguments Nikon should build L-brackets right into the camera bodies too, it would be cheaper. I get it completely, it’s a hassle and expense nobody really wants. Nikon, Canon, Sony, Fuji etc all seem to disagree though.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 648Member
    Arca Swiss is not a standard. You would at least need to pay licensing for it, and that is assuming they want to licence it. And it limits you to one 'brand' that not everyone uses.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    edited October 2021
    Kind of OT but I wish the whole tripod collar was removable. I find it kind of gets in the way when handholding.
    Post edited by mhedges on

Arca Swiss is not a standard. You would at least need to pay licensing for it, and that is assuming they want to licence it. And it limits you to one 'brand' that not everyone uses.

I suppose if all the manufactures used the exact Arca Swiss plates size that would be true. But if you look closely you'll notice most companies call their products Arca Swiss compatible. All that means is that they should fit in an Arca Swiss clamp. The manufactures get around it by slightly changing the design of the plate/dovetail for the clamp, or they add extra features (like safety stops) so it's not a copy. I doubt all the cheap Chinese plates and non-Arca Swiss branded plates out there (yes even RRS & Kirk) are paying a dime to the company that makes the original Arca Swiss products.

It does not limit you to one brand because the Arca Swiss plates still have the same threads for other brands of plates that the non-Arca Swiss plates have. The only difference is the bottom has the lip so it readily fits Arca Swiss if you happen to have it. As per my conversation (see my first post) with the rep from Canon Professional Services, she said she has been receiving a large demand for it from photographers which is why she is urging Canon to make their feet compatible (which she believes they will do in the near future).
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,090Member
    My tripods require Arca Swiss. But it doesn't hurt to attach a foot and especially the Black Rapid Strap which is ESSENTIAL for bigger lens. But it does cost some to get the two additions I use. Canon will do it way sooner than Nikon! Which has LOST some Nikon users to Canon and my son now is using Sony A 1 and lens like the 200-600 which is excellent. I even looked a buying the same combo, but the higher price and being a Nikon shooter stopped me, and I think the Z9 is superior. When I get the long zoom lens and Z9 now is the real question. At my age, I hope it is soon!
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    I think the first thing I did to my Z6 was add that SmallRig L-Bracket. Problem solved.