Black Friday/Cyber Monday

trolleytrolley Posts: 206Member
So, anyone succumb, or just me :D
I bought Sharpen & Gigapixel (I already had DeNoise).
And then I bought a very lightly used 500mm f5.6PF. I traded in my 200-500mm f5.6 - so all told I paid 2/3rds the price of a new one. Xmas sorted :p

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Nothing for me. I have the Z 100-400 on order and that will have to be it for a while!
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited December 2021
    @ trolley Yeah, that is a good black friday for you.

I bought 2x, 2TB Extreme Portable Sandisk SSD, 1050MB/s. You need fast ports on your PC for these, they were € 215.- instead of € 269.-. Also a 4TB Samsung 870 QVO (QLC) SSD for € 249.- Price now is € 349.- again.

Bought an extra Rotolights NEO 2. A big shop offered them for € 179.-, saved € 120.-, the price now is € 295.- again. This light can be used as flash, weight 350g (body only), in flash mode provides 500% more light output (main power), 250% on AA (NiMh or Li-ion) batteries, 1/8000 HSS, NO recycle time, NO power loss and build in wireless receiver. The only downside is the price for the Elinchrom Skyport trigger, which is € 249.-, but it works with every other wireless receiver and trigger.
    For batteries I have the IKEA 2450, they come from the same factory as Eneloop - Panasonic, work as Eneloop, but € 5,99 the four instead of € 18,99.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    I also bought the Topaz software bundle (Sharpen AI, Gigapixel AI, Denoise AI). Three days after purchase I took a photo that required Sharpen AI and the amazing result on that one photo alone makes it worth the purchase price. It's a shot of a bobcat leaping over a pond with a cotton rat in its mouth. The camera focused just behind the face and on the shoulders, but Topaz amazingly put the face back in focus.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Cool! Rules are you gotta post it now!
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    mhedges said:

Unfortunately the NikonRumors site does not allow direct uploads (which is an ongoing source of frustration to myself and some others). No offense to the moderators, because I appreciate the work they do for a free site, but as a former Canon user I must confess the photo handling on CanonRumors is miles ahead. Not just because of the direct upload, but the ability to have multiple photo threads on various topics (instead of a generic photo-a-day).
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member

mhedges said:

Unfortunately the NikonRumors site does not allow direct uploads (which is an ongoing source of frustration to myself and some others). No offense to the moderators, because I appreciate the work they do for a free site, but as a former Canon user I must confess the photo handling on CanonRumors is miles ahead. Not just because of the direct upload, but the ability to have multiple photo threads on various topics (instead of a generic photo-a-day).
    Yes, I'm a bit bummed out by the photo sharing options, but agreed, it's a free site, I don't get a right to complain. Flickr hasn't allowed new uploads and there's no way in hell I'm sharing my credit card info with Yahoo. I honestly don't have much to share, I haven't shot much with my D7000 and I am not inclined to get any replacement for it.

To be honest with the supply chain issues, Black Friday deals this year were very lackluster. All the better for me not to spend any money. I might have gotten a PS5, but that's been unobtainium as well and I don't intend on enriching any scalpers.

In any case, I did pick up a few PS4 games, but that's about it.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    It was prior to BF but I picked up Pure Raw and Cap 1 22. Took several image series on the Seattle to Tx road trip to process in PR and to stitch pianos from in Cap 1.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    Installed Cap 1 22 yesterday, HDR and Panorama works good and fast. The Autorotate is great, I never can keep my camera straight :). I tested about 200 photos, about 10 failed, I like it. I hope that they can implement Wireless Tethering for Nikon soon.

DXO, in my case Pure RAW is the best noise reduction software for me.
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    edited December 2021
    In fairly limited use so far, PR has been really impressive. I have a new MB, CPU, memory, and drives to rebuild my computer. Once that’s done and time permits I’m going to reprocess a number of images from years past.
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member

mhedges said:

When you take on images in hosting such a forum, the VPS you need to run it starts to rocket off in price. I have such a VPS for messing around, costs me $4US/month. I recently got admin rights to a railroading bulletin board that uses a similar VPS, but the cost is $70US/month due to the need for more storage space. And that board restricts images to <250kb file sizes...
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 646Member
    edited December 2021
    @ggbutcher you don’t upload the images to the VPS, you set up a S3 bucket with Cloudfront then set up the forum software to store attachments there. Most modern file upload scripts will even upload directly to S3 with a pre signed key so to bypass your application server.

A forum for 100,000 users should be about $30/month or less. 2x AWS t4g.micro servers+ VPC + load balancer + CloudFront and S3.
    Post edited by photobunny on
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    @photobunny, thanks for the hint. Some time in the future I think I 'm going to be faced with rehosting it, it has only <100 users but a LOT of history...

Just to give you a hint of what it is, it runs webbbs...
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 646Member
    ggbutcher said:

@photobunny, thanks for the hint. Some time in the future I think I 'm going to be faced with rehosting it, it has only <100 users but a LOT of history...

Just to give you a hint of what it is, it runs webbbs...</p>

If you aren't well versed in AWS then it'll cost you a fortune. Everything is priced at 0.0002c per minute and other hard to calculate measurements (At my current company the first year I reduced costs in AWS from nearly $12,000 per month to $1800). But in saying that a S3 bucket with your current VPS should be very cheep especially if you front it with a free CloudFlair account.
  • SearcySearcy Posts: 801Member
    I bought a lumeCube RGB Panel Pro.