Canon Rumors shutting down?

There is nothing on the CanonRumors website or Facebook page. However, a relative emailed me a new Tweet from them (I am not on Twitter) stating the site will be shut down in the next few weeks. The reason given is that they are tired of other sites stealing their information and posting it as their own.

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Well I (unfortunately) am on Twitter and yes that's what they posted. I wasn't a follower but looking through the feed there seems to be some drama going on.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I blame the moderators... :D :D :D
    Always learning.
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member
    After I started this thread CanonRumors posted it on their main page (and NR subsequently reported it here). Apparently the owner is selling the site after personal attacks on his family. Really, really sad what people will say online.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Dont you just block the person or send all their emails automatically to trash? If the reader is a devout Christian then they would/could get super upset others would just laugh. Clearly, money is another factor. If you are not making enough from the site to compensate for the aggravation then the situation could be difficult.
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 646Member

Dont you just block the person or send all their emails automatically to trash? If the reader is a devout Christian then they would/could get super upset others would just laugh. Clearly, money is another factor. If you are not making enough from the site to compensate for the aggravation then the situation could be difficult.

I would personally just laugh at death threats. But this was also to his wife and kid, that can be scary for a bairn and not really something you want to deal with. Of course the real answer is to just get the police involved if they aren't already and have the source of the issue dealt with. However, it seems the issues here are you now have camera fanboys that are more like video game fanboys and you must like exactly the same things as them or die.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    No site is worth dealing with that kind of BS. These rumour sites likely saw a steep decline in revenue over the last 5-6 years as camera sales fell. Less people interested, less hits, less ad revenue. The bleeding may have slowed, but it hasn’t ended yet, for rumour sites, or camera makers.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 353Member

Dont you just block the person or send all their emails automatically to trash?...

If it is just one or two people, then yes. But if you are getting a nonstop barrage of emails like this, there comes a point where it's not worth it.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Right. And also it's hard to do that when you have to solicit for info over email to give content for the site.
  • dpidudedpidude Posts: 106Member
    It’s always amazed me how big peoples cojones get when hiding behind a keyboard.
    D3s, (14-24 2.8), (24-70 2.8), (70-200 2.8 VRII), 2 SB-700, SB-910, 2.0x teleconverter
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Jeez there are some really sad people on this planet. I thought they were all in politics though... B)
    Always learning.
  • 9viii9viii Posts: 25Member
    Back about five years ago Craig IP banned me just for pointing out how unsecure ad-networks are, doing that to an account with thousands of posts across half a decade shows how little he thinks of people.
  • bcmmikebcmmike Posts: 44Member
    dpidude said:

It’s always amazed me how big peoples cojones get when hiding behind a keyboard.

Truth