Camera Equipment and ATVing

Hello Everyone. I recently purchased a Nikon D850 along with a variety of Nikkor lenses including a 300mm to 500mm telescopic. Along with that I purchased a Nanuk camera case. I am a nature and wildlife photographer and recently also purchased an ATV.

We do not plan on going super fast on the trails (max 20-30km/hr) and I do not plan on having the camera or lenses outside of the Nanuk weather sealed case unless we are stopped. However, there are still some bumpy areas where the ATV would experience some vibration and shake.

I am wondering everyone's opinion on bringing my camera equipment with me ATVing as long as we go easy when bringing the equipment. I do have a D3200 that I have had for 10 years and it went ATVing and was still okay afterwards, but I have heard people say that any kind of ATVing (even going slow) can damage equipment. Being new to the pro cameras I wanted to ask the opinion of a trusted community of photographers before risking anything.

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    edited February 2022
    Paging @DaveyJ - this sounds like something he can give advice on. And welcome to Nikon Rumors!
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • DenverShooterDenverShooter Posts: 416Member
    I bounce my gear down washed-out marginal dirt roads in a truck all the time and haven't broken anything yet. Everything is in a pair of Pelican flight case with a PortaBrace padded insert or the Nikon case it came in (super telephoto lenses).

Its tied down using ratchet straps so it doesn't bounce/side around.

The Nikon gear is pretty tough.

Denver Shooter
  • bcmmikebcmmike Posts: 44Member

I bounce my gear down washed-out marginal dirt roads in a truck all the time and haven't broken anything yet. Everything is in a pair of Pelican flight case with a PortaBrace padded insert or the Nikon case it came in (super telephoto lenses).

Its tied down using ratchet straps so it doesn't bounce/side around.

The Nikon gear is pretty tough.

Denver Shooter

Gotta second the Pelican case and tie downs.
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I don't ATV but I don't think you can go wrong with a padded Pelican case.

I mean ATVs can be rough but I can't imagine it to be significantly worse than being in a sports car.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S