800mm f 6.3 Z

PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,364Member
Well at an estimated $12000 no thanks ....200-500 only $1000 I will stick.

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,645Member
    edited March 22
    Latest rumor is it may be a little cheaper; we will have to see. But even 12K is a decent price considering the F mount 800 5.6 is over 16K and the absurd Canon RF 800 5.6 (which is basically their latest 400 2.8 DSLR lens with a permanent 2x TC) is 17K.

All signs point to this being a pretty successful lens for Nikon.
    Post edited by mhedges on
  • MrFotoFoolMrFotoFool Posts: 289Member
    Newest post on NR says $6,000. If this is true, I imagine they will sell quite a few. With the newly announced Canon selling for almost three times that price (and much more weight), I could see a lot of Canon users choosing the Nikon 800 and one Nikon body just for long wildlife (while staying with Canon for everything else).
  • photobunnyphotobunny Posts: 536Member
    If it is $6k it will be sold out for years.
    I'll believe that price when I see it but it does seem clear that Nikon has finally started to aggressively compete. Which is good.
  • DaveyJDaveyJ Posts: 1,084Member
    If it is $6,000 I may be interested! I wouldn't buy it at $8,000
    Today's post says official announcement April 6 and price expected at $6,000. That's almost one third the price of the new Canon equivalent at only 1/3 of a stop less.
    Yep. Could get a Z9 with this lens and the 100-400 and both TC's and still have money left over compared to the cost of the Canon lens. Assuming you could actually find them of course!
    Thats mine ordered as soon as the shop had them up for pre ordering. Really looking forward to this one. Sold my 500 PF and its accessories as I am using the 100-400 and will be using the 800 as a main lens with the 100-400 on a second body.
    Looks like official price is $6500 in USA (based on email I got from my local shop). I don't know who would buy the Canon $17k heavyweight when this is available.

Looks like official price is $6500 in USA (based on email I got from my local shop). I don't know who would buy the Canon $17k heavyweight when this is available.

Sensible Canon users would buy the 600 f/4.0 and a 1.4x TC. I don't think the RF 800 and 1200 are particularly good value, though they do let you add additional extenders if 800 and 1200 is too short for your subject.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 670Member
    Just watched Steve Perry's first full(ish) review of the lens and to say he is enthusiastic about it is a gross understatement. I've followed him for years and have not known him to come off as a fanboi of the hardware he tests. He positively gushes over this lens. If you haven't seen it take a look. As a retired college professor, this level of equipment is well beyond my means, but for wildlife shooters with the budget for it, the 800/f6.3 on Z9 looks like THE combo.

https://backcountrygallery.com/nikon-800-pf-review-for-wildlife-photographers/

Good hunting
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,364Member
    edited April 9
    Sample photos in todays blog post
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    I will order one in about half a year. My dealer will be able to get me that lens. Right now I have my Z 9 coming and I opted for the 14-30mm F4 lens. That will be the lens I use for right now with the Z 9 until I buy the 800 f6.3. My new Z 100-400 is on my quite new Z 6 II and will stay set up that way for some time. I also have the 24-70 F4 which I am very happy with. The 800 PF 6.3 is for me a must buy lens!
  • bcmmikebcmmike Posts: 42Member
    Oyyyy, I actually wish it was more expensive so I would be tempted to try to stretch the budget to buy it. :p
    edited May 4
    I am using the Z 9 now. Thought I would use it mostly with the 14-30 F4. I am using it mostly with the 100-400 Z S lens. It is amazing! The Z 800 f 6.3 PF will have to wait....
    Post edited by DaveyJ on
    Looks like the 20th will see some of the first UK stock, hopefully. Looking forward to getting mine and getting out there.