Cell Phone Photography

Comments

• Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    edited September 2017
    My Grandson and GrandDog at the door of my daughter-in-law and son's house. I didn't take it. My DiL did with an Iphone 7 (I think). If you look closely, you can see the guys are looking at Gramps coming up the walk.

Austin-Bentley
    Post edited by Capt_Spaulding on
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    Nice one, Capt_Spaulding. The ready availability of a cell phone for capturing these spontaneous snaps can yield images with a lot of impact.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    I really need to develop an eye for this sort of thing. My DiL is really very talented. She has a very good feel for what makes an image work. Not much interest that I see in the technical side, but a very good eye.
  • vtc2002vtc2002 Posts: 364Member
    edited September 2017
    Samsung S8

Pond Reflection
    Post edited by vtc2002 on
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    Just curious, anyone upgrade their phones?

I'm personally waiting for a Google Pixel 3 to upgrade to from my Nexus 5x.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    Manhattan Lights

Still pretty happy with the results from my phone. Obviously it's such a high ISO that all details have smudged out, but not bad for a phone from 2015.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    With Flickr changing its terms of use, I've really slowed down in posting to Flickr, but I wanted to show what a big advance in camera software in phones these days in comparison to cameras.

Compare this shot to the next.

Dongdaemun

Dongdaemun

The lower shot was taken by my phone, a Google Pixel 3 and the top one by my D7000 and edited quickly through Google Photos. Both pleasant shots, and clearly big differences in focal lengths, but I really prefer the phone shot one over the one shot by my DSLR. As much as I like photography, I hate editing. This HDR stacking really shows the power of computational photography that can't be ignored. Imagine a D850 or a D500 using software smarts to all do this in camera? The future is going to be very interesting indeed.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    That AI driven noise reduction in the Pixel 3 sure does wonders in low light, it wasn't rated as the best camera in a phone in 2018 for nothing. Enjoying Seoul?
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    PB_PM said:

That AI driven noise reduction in the Pixel 3 sure does wonders in low light, it wasn't rated as the best camera in a phone in 2018 for nothing. Enjoying Seoul?

I'm already back. I didn't get to enjoy it all that much honestly, it's way too cold even for someone who's used to NY weather. Plus I didn't have enough time to plan an itinerary beforehand and it was a generic cheap tour my mother found. Food wasn't all that great and there wasn't any time to explore. Lesson learned, no tours next time. Granted I know a lot more about Japan than Korea, so there's that too. Also happened to catch a bad stomach bug for about a day so no, not that enjoyable.

Have you been to Seoul before?
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    That's too bad, haven't been there myself, although I'd like to visit Korea and Japan. I know more about the former than the later, so we are on opposite ends of the scale there. Really enjoyed the other travel photos in your flicker. Okay, enough off topic chat. :)
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • Ton14Ton14 Posts: 698Member
    edited March 2019
    The development of the Light Camera https://light.co/camera transfers slowly to mobile phones. for example, look at the Nokia 9 with 5 camera's.

New sensors !!. ST has introduced a new generation of high-performance proximity and ranging sensors, based on FlightSense™ Time-of-Flight (ToF) technology. This sensor is coming for mobile phones !!

Further in this year the 5g mobile data connections are about to start. Here in the North of Holland 5g was tested and T-mobile is waiting for the frequency auction this year and after that they are ready to roll out the 5g network with the press of a button.

In the second half of this year all major cell phone brands are coming with a 5g mobile phone.

Oppo, the biggest and a major brand in Asia, will announce a mobile phone with 10x zoom without quality loss in the second half of 2019 and has 5g mobiles ready.

Huawei has it's own operating system ready to launch, but only if it is necessary. If so Android and IOS are getting Asia as a big competitor.

In short, watch the mobile phone developments this year, they wil be huge.
    Post edited by Ton14 on
    User Ton changed to Ton14, Google sign in did not work anymore
    Huawei P30 announced, here is the first ToF sensor.

DPreview:

The top-of-the-line device comes with a triple-camera setup (Huawei calls it a quad-camera, counting the time-of-flight (ToF) sensor), covering a focal length range that has previously been unheard of on a smartphone.
    Yesterday I used a friend's Samsung phone to take photos for them during a graduation. After using so many higher end phones, I forgot what it's like to have severe, unpredictable shutter lag and how infuriating that must be.

On a bit of a side note, anyone on the forums happen to pick up a Pixel 3a? My cousin who is an iPhone/iPad/iOS power user picked one up and is really pleasantly surprised by the camera.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I just bought a Huawei P30 Pro (yes mr Trump a Huawei) and the camera is pretty amazing.
    Always learning.

I just bought a Huawei P30 Pro (yes mr Trump a Huawei) and the camera is pretty amazing.

Nothing wrong with buying a Huawei phone, my only concern would be with warranty service and having the right LTE bands for it to work in the US.

Also, I personally prefer stock android and quick updates.
    Anyone end up buying any of the new iPhones?
    Bought the Samsung S10 for a midrange price. Very good camera to have with you, till the sun goes down, but that is the fact with all phones. I think that is no difference with iPhones.
    Ton14 said:

Bought the Samsung S10 for a midrange price. Very good camera to have with you, till the sun goes down, but that is the fact with all phones. I think that is no difference with iPhones.

That is good bang for the buck. I'm likely planning on buying new phones for my parents as well and it might be the S10e or Pixel 3a, depending on what Google announces next week.

We got a good deal on the Samsung S8 that my parents are using now, around $500 for 2 Samsung S8s with a free 360 degree cam which I traded in for money back again.
    Just a bit of a bump on this thread.

Not to say that I don't enjoy stock android, in fact it's one of my requirements for phone purchases as I don't appreciate plunking upwards of $800 on a phone and having them be out of date within 2-3 years.

Google's announcement of the Pixel 4 is thoroughly underwhelming for me. Just a repeat of last year's Pixel 3, no "increase" in price, but a reduction in packaged accessories- most significantly no USB-C earbuds or 3.5mm adapter. Plus, already rumored Black Friday deals on Pixel 4 hardware. Another repeat of overpriced hardware when the phone should start at sub $800 prices. It would be much better received if the phone started at $650 and tops out at $900. Plus, poor selection on phone storage.

Any thoughts on this?
    Bump!

The battery on the Pixel 3 has kicked the bucket and I got a new phone. Didn’t make sense to repair the battery as Google wasn’t going to support the software anyway.

So I treated myself with a Samsung S22.

Just curious what you guys are using as far as cell phones.

Honestly, I carry my phone more than my camera.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited April 2022
    RPS....Celphone ? it was film when I did my panel....
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    > Just curious what you guys are using as far as cell phones.

I carry my work phone, a Samsung S20 on AT&T. I dropped it a while back and turned the glass cover of the camera lenses into a mess of shards, can't even use the camera to photograph travel receipts. Back when it worked, once in a great while I'd pull it out to take a picture of something when I didn't have my cameras available, but didn't do that a lot as getting pictures off it was a pain.

I also have a Moto G3 hooked to Ting (US reseller of TMobile) to preserve my personal phone number and (Ha!) transition to retirement. Interestingly, it gets better cell coverage when we go to the cabin in the mountains, although I need to re-assess that as (sadly...) there is now 5G coverage by all networks up there. Cripes, can't get away from it anymore... Oh, since I don't carry it regularly, the camera doesn't get used at all.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited April 2022
    I have a Huawei P30 Pro. Was a fantastically hyped camera, but it can be pretty crap. Samsung have historically had crap batteries which is a shame because I have always liked their GUI. I heard the S22 is good.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    edited April 2022
    I have an iphone 13. Just got it and haven't used the camera too much but it seems pretty good.
    Post edited by mhedges on
    edited April 2022
    I use my Samsung S10 with Android version 12 a lot, but not for photos, I always have the Z6 with the 40mm f/2 with me and Snapbridge puts the photos directly on the S10. Sometimes when the weather is nice I make the same photo as a test, sometimes they are nice, but of course always to the disadvantage of the S10. In darker circumstances, I find the quality of the Samsung S10 photos unusable, at most a snapshot for myself.

Because of this, my next mobile phone will not be an expensive one, but one with 5g and a big battery :)
    At the moment, 4g is just as fast as 5g and the 5g frequencies will only be auctioned at the end of this year here in Holland, so I'm not in a hurry.

For example the just announced Samsung A53 is already better than the Samsung S10 and fine for me, 5g, 5000mAh and cheap. I have a fast "unlimited data" subscription for € 25.-, the Snapbridge photos go directly to my Synology NAS, so a fast 5g connection is nice. I am also looking at phones with WiFi 6 on them, in short photography with a mobile phone seemed great 3 years ago, but since 1 year ago it has become obsolete for me.
    Post edited by Ton14 on