AF-S 24-70 mm F/2.8G ED problems in low light

axlroseaxlrose Posts: 38Member
edited November 2022 in Nikon Lenses
Hello!

I own a 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR on my Nikon d780 and lately I am just because of this, very frustrated with DSLR usage. That is also a reason why I want to go to Z. But I just don't want to. I still try to find a solution.

So... the problem is focus with D780 and 24-70 lens on a dance floor. Low light, flesh as a bounce. Every time I try to focus for example a first dance, a lot of shots are missed focus, focusing somewhere behind the couple, focus on guests.

When I do the same with prime lens 24mm, focus is always spot on. Always! So I assume something is with the lens. I assume it is slow and there for focus is not accurate and focus other subjects.
Now I wonder, how to overcome this?

Should I upgrade for Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR Lens? Is the newer version any better? Do you suggest other brands? Tamron or Sigma?
Or maybe just buy Z6II with 24-70 Z and go with it?

Also there is another option, to buy Z6II and FTZ for the existing lens.

Thanks for advice.

Post edited by axlrose on
Tagged:

Comments

• mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    I'm not sure which lens you are using? Is it screw drive?

The 24mm is over a stop faster which may be just enough to get you better AF.

I'm a Z fan but I would not expect a Z6II to do better in low light "speed" AF situations. For static subjects they do much better but not for movement. Maybe (hopefully) the V3s will improve.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    I have photographed hundreds of first dances. I always stand with my back to the disco lights No flash ...if you use flash you loose all the atmosphere. My wife has 28-300 auto iso and in P mode Group area focus min 1/60 so it is basically wide open..no problems on D810.
    I have Samyang 14mm set at 10ft and f 5.6 taped up .No problems .
    I also have a battery powered Lazer and pulsing light set up that I move about the floor as the disco blokes have a habit of pointing lazers at the ceiling or turning off the lights totally....they only caught me out on that once.
  • axlroseaxlrose Posts: 38Member
    mhedges: i think it is the first version of 24-70 2.8 G ED, bought in 2010

Pistnbroke: i like to take photos towards disco lights, so there is a nice background. But bouncing flash to the back. Somehow, a lot of times my focus jumps to the subjects behind. Not sure why, since I don't have problem with fixed lens 24mm 1.4. And I do the same thing. I use group area focus 24 and focus improved. Before that I used single AF-S and it was a lot worse.
    Maybe I'll try to illuminate dance floor a bit more with a help from my assistant.
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    Ah. Well not sure if its a factor here but I did borrow that lens from a friend once and found it had terrible focus offset problems on my D5500, to the point that it was nearly unusable for any close work wide open except in Live View.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    If you try to focus on a blank wall it won't focus ..I think you have the same here the brides silhouetted against the disco lights/not well lit . Does your flash have an infra red beam ? Even though I dont agree with flash in this situation that should cure it.