Photo-A-Day April 2023

spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
As a courtesy we ask that you keep your photos to under 640 pixels on the longest side. If you post a photo that is much larger than 640 pixels then it may be deleted from the thread. You can have your smaller photo link to a larger version but the embedded photos must be less than 640 pixels. If you need help on how to post a photo see below and read through the Forum Rules & FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions).

Please do not offer criticism of other's images unless specifically requested by the individual posting the photo. Criticism may be best accomplished by posting comments on Flickr or the OP’s photo posting source.

Please read the forum rules regarding the posting of images not suitable for family viewing.

Instructions on posting from Flickr are to be found here:
http://forum.nikonrumors.com/discussion/46/how-to-post-a-photo-on-photo-a-day-new-instructions#Item_142
Always learning.
Tagged:

Comments

• Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member

I posted this a while back. Since then I switched to Capture 1 and began using Pure Raw for pre-processing some images.

I took another run at this image a couple of nights ago. It's a pano composed of three landscape format images. First I ran the component images through pure raw. Then in Capture 1 I stitched the components into the pano and made several edits.

The original image had a small amount of false color "fogging" in a few places. I tamed them and when fooling around with the "black" slider discovered that there was quite a bit of information from the foreground available just from the starlight. So I raised those levels enough to see what is there. There isn't any appreciable detail so the result has an impressionist painting vibe to the foreground.

Of course, the original ridgeline silhouette benefited from the clean up as well. I was just intrigued by what the sensor could see on a night I could not see my hand in front of my face.

Click through to see the larger image.

Davis Mountains Milky Way Pano 2019 v2
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Great job @Capt_Spaulding! I loved my D750 for nightscapes. Excellently processed too. Very surprised how few aberrations there are in the corners of your shot. I returned my 20mm f1.8 because it wasn't so good.
    Always learning.
  • Capt_SpauldingCapt_Spaulding Posts: 729Member
    Thanks S&P. Appreciate the compliment.
  • CEBluecloudsCEBlueclouds Posts: 1,943Member
    ...Brown-throated wattle-eye...
    CHU_4087-3
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    2017 August USA Total Eclipse KY qe single frame 03
    a repost. from the last eclipse in 2017
    there's an eclipse tomorrow seeable from western Australia and islands north
    getting prepped for the 8 April 2024 eclipse.
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
    @dissent Hoo-yeah! Nicely done - what gear did you use? I am fascinated to know.
    Always learning.
  • dissentdissent Posts: 1,329Member
    This is cropped from a frame taken at 500mm with a 200-500 on a D500, f/9, ISO 100 and 1/800 of a second.

When I saw some of the images on the camera display showing prominences, I just tried a few faster shutter speeds to see how they might turn out. The shots to optimize the corona were mostly at 1/50 to 1/100 sec
    - Ian . . . [D7000, D7100; Nikon glass: 35 f1.8, 85 f1.8, 70-300 VR, 105 f2.8 VR, 12-24 f4; 16-85 VR, 300 f4D, 14E-II TC, SB-400, SB-700 . . . and still plenty of ignorance]
    dissent said:

This is cropped from a frame taken at 500mm with a 200-500 on a D500, f/9, ISO 100 and 1/800 of a second.

When I saw some of the images on the camera display showing prominences, I just tried a few faster shutter speeds to see how they might turn out. The shots to optimize the corona were mostly at 1/50 to 1/100 sec

Cool Shot!
    Always learning.
This discussion has been closed.