D800 Weired Shutter Sound - Like a metal sound?

cemokcemok Posts: 12Member
edited March 2013 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
I have bought a new Nikon D800 . It's shutter count was 20. After using the camera I realised that It has a weird metallic sound when shooting. Does anyone has this weird metallic shutter sound?
Post edited by cemok on

Comments

• MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    What cameras have you had in the past? Have you listened to other D800's? Was this supposed to be a "new" camera? Was the purchase from a dealer? Can it be returned? Does the camera function properly other than the sound?

All or some of the above can be helpful as to determining if there is a problem. And, if this is a used camera from a private party, why were they selling it after only 20 clicks?
    Msmoto, mod
  • cemokcemok Posts: 12Member
    edited March 2013
    Thank you for your help.

I had D70s, D300, D700 before and D700. Other functions of the camera works well but It is really annoying to hear the shutter sound while photographing :( I did not listened other D800's. I checked the serial number with nikon web site and it says that ''this serial number doesn't exist, this camera will be from grey market''.I don't know if they accept a return?

Can you show me a way Msmoto?
    Post edited by cemok on
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    my D700 and D800 sound about the same
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    My D300 and D800 sound about the same as well.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    This sounds like an issue with the dealer. if you are not happy with the camera, possibly the dealer will get you another. However, I would make certain the other D800 sounds much different. As noted the D700 and D800 seem to sound about the same.

Good luck
    Msmoto, mod
    Dear All,

Thank you for your help and now, I am little bit comfortable. I have sent a message to the dealer and waiting for the answer. I also asked them if they are a legal nikon dealer, why are they selling grey market products.

Best regards,

Cemil.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    You should have received a warranty card in the box with the camera.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Is this an internet purchase then? I would only trust internet sellers with good feedback, good returns policy and who sell NIKON Bv supplied products. If you used a credit card you may be protected - let us know how it goes eh?
    Always learning.
    edited March 2013
    I have a 2 year warranty. I bought it from a shop.
    Post edited by cemok on
    edited March 2013
    I believe Hartlauer is a fairly large Nikon Dealer in Vienna, Austria and should take care of you. They are one of the ones Nikon Austria shows on the search.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • Scuderia1Scuderia1 Posts: 82Member
    I think Ms Moto gave you the best advice. Go to a local camera store and try taking a few pictures with another D800 and compare the sound. The sound of the D800 surprised me at first with it's "shutter sound" compared to the D5100. I've even tried "Q" (quiet) mode when I'm out shooting wildlife, and the sound is still 'loud' to my ears.

I would describe the sound of my D800 as very similar to yours. But without hearing it personally, I can't guarantee they are the same.
    Nikon D800 | Nikkor 50mm f/1.8g | Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikkor 300mm f/4 (+Nikon TC1.4x)
    edited March 2013
    Dear Friends,

I have checked two other d800 at a dealer shop in Turkey and my camera has the wierd sound increadibly more.(x3) I knew it was not normal and now I am sure my camera has a problem. I have contacted with the shop which I bought the d800 and they told me that they will call me tomorrow. I am very sad, unhappy and furstraded. I hope they will help me.

Post edited by cemok on
    Dear Friends,

Just to refresh, I have changed my D800 with a new one and this one works like a charm, whitout this sound :)

Thank you for your help.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    Enjoy your new D800 cemok :) Great camera.
  • calonsorianocalonsoriano Posts: 1Member
    I think I have the same problem!!! I have created a video to show it!!

The noise comes from the mirror flipping back to its normal position. You can listen to it while shooting or going from live view to eye finder mode!!!

What do you think guys, should I return it? I'm a little be upset...
    Is it within the 1st year? Nikon will fix it.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Do you have it on quite mode?
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    edited February 2014
    The best thing about a D800 is the strap with D800 on it ...the camera a noisy horrible thing ..yes got one and the shutter is 6x noisier than a D7100 on my db meter which for me is very bad as I only shoot weddings and in church you cannot use the D800. I like to shoot "wedding landscapes " with a 14mm lens so I need the extra pixels ...otherewise its junk. The noise on the video does not sound right to me
    Post edited by Pistnbroke on
    Pistn, FX will always be louder than DX, laws of physics, bigger mirror. You should compare D800 to D700 or D3/4.
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    I think I have the same problem!!! I have created a video to show it!!

The noise comes from the mirror flipping back to its normal position. You can listen to it while shooting or going from live view to eye finder mode!!!

What do you think guys, should I return it? I'm a little be upset...
    This sounds like my D800 and I suspect that it is within spec.

I have never heard anybody complain about the camera shutter noise at a wedding.
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    edited February 2014
    The shutter sound of my D800 is slightly different than that of my D90. I guess if I were to describe it at the time I would have described it as "metallic." At first I was a little alarmed, but now, several thousand shots in, I'm quite used to it and attribute it to a slightly different shutter construction. No issues with the images.
    Post edited by proudgeek on
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    Quote.... never heard anybody complain about the camera shutter noise at a wedding.

Clearly you did not speak to the minister " I dont want that click click click all the time " is a standard comment
  • WestEndBoyWestEndBoy Posts: 1,456Member
    edited February 2014
    I was always a spectator except the two times I got married. I usually did not get that close to the minister. However, I would say that the Minister is a supplier like the photographer or cleaner. Only listen to the bride (or mom etc).
    Post edited by WestEndBoy on
  • henrik1963henrik1963 Posts: 567Member
    Just checked the shutter sound of my D800 and D700. The D700 was a bit louder - not by much but a bit louder. But there was a "singing sound" to the D800 shutter - like vibrating metal - imagine hitting a heavy knife and it is resonating. Never had a problem with the camera - never heard the sound before.