flikr license option

mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
edited March 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
sorry if this has been brought up before but ...

how do you all have your flikr license set, and why?

i have mine on "none, all rights reserved", but for no particular reason

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
  • rschnaiblerschnaible Posts: 308Member
    All rights reserved

Know that any image you post can and probably will be used improperly. Low resolution helps and if you intend to sell an image, be sure that you have watermarks or do not post it.....

I sometimes have someone ask if they can use an image for a website, you need to use your discreation on how you handle those requests.....

Let us know what you decide.....
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    For me, a bit older than some, not depending on photos for income, my photos are copyright, but available for anyone to upload from Flickr. If for some reason one is used commercially without permission, they would have to have some explanation satisfactory to myself, to avoid further action.
    Msmoto, mod
  • MikeFrewerMikeFrewer Posts: 51Member
    @Msmoto.
    I agree with what you are saying, but how could you find out if anyone has copied one of your pictures and used it commercially. Just interested to know.
  • GjesdalGjesdal Posts: 277Member
    If you suspect a specific picture of your might have been used somewhere you can try a google picture search
    This is ofc not a fool proof method, but its quite easy way :-)
    D810 | D7100 | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art |Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 G AF-S VRII ED | Nikon 105mm F2.8 AF-S IF-ED VR II Micro | Sigma 17-50 f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM | Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Coolpix P6000 IR converted | http://gjesdal.org
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    the best reverse image search is tineye.com imho.
    My photos are published under a creative commons license, so they are free for non-commercial usage. I guess that reflects the reality since everybody who wants to put a print of that on his/her wall will download and print it and nobody will ever find out.
  • jjdarlingjjdarling Posts: 59Member
    I also shoot creative commons, except my license is attribution-sharealike (or something). Basically I retain rights to the shot, and anybody who alters it can't copyright it for themselves, but I put my work out there for free and I want people to share and enjoy it.

Clearly I'm not a pro. I do some assignments, but I prefer to be paid directly for my time instead of trying to sell a digital product.

Also, watermarks are always hideous. If you want people to get lost in your photos, don't vandalize them with a watermark. If somebody really wants your photo, they'll get it. The bigger the watermark, the more obtrusive and ugly the photo, the smaller the watermark, the easier it is to remove it. There are much better ways to protect your photos.
    www.jjdarling.com