Capture NX2 and/or Lightroom?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 197
edited December 2012 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I use Lightroom 4.3 to treat and keep track of my NEF files, and frankly I can't see any problems with the resulting images.

However, I got talking to a chap in a Nikon Pro shop who almost laughed when I mentioned Lightroom and was categoric about using Capture NX2 to import/treat his files out of the camera (and then Lightroom to 'organise' the files)

Before I spend 150€ on Capture NX2 I'd be very grateful for your input on this.

Many thanks in advance
Post edited by [Deleted User] on
Tagged:

Comments

• JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Well, I know "Pros" who swear on their own, best of all possible file structure and who laugh at anything else. As an amateur, I don't bring home thousands of pictures from one single event, since continuous shooting is not the thing I usually do.

I'm certain the NX2 RAW converter is the closest to the specifications of the NEF files, just because Nikon can bring all their knowledge into it. But the file management and a lot of other things a typical DAM (digital asset management) offers to me is very important, too. I use Aperture and the laugh I get from Pros usually is greater. But I'm quite happy with it and don't see an advantage to me to give up my structures for a poorly designed, slow working dedicated Nikon only solution. If you're happy with LR and can not try a test version (I don't know if there is one), stay happy with LR.

If I need to change Aperture one day because Apple is too lazy and too arrogant to catch up with state of the art RAW converters, I will take a closer look to CaptureOne or DxO, just because they offer more than conversion and a bit of fine tuning. And if Adobe would behave differently with their license strategies and other things I don't like so much, then I'd end up with LR, too. But so far, I like to keep my Mac Adobe-free - although I enjoy working with the products in the office.
  • GhostRider117GhostRider117 Posts: 29Member
    What would be the argument in favor of Capture NX2?

I first bought CNX2, following my old man's recommendation, though bought Lightroom shortly after. The only things you'll be missing are, imho : 1) the possibility to change camera settings in post, and 2) u-points.

1) is not a great loss, 2) is a greater loss which NIK plugins can compensate. Though in my case, the NIK are not on my shopping list, if I absolutely need u-points, I use CNX2, then export in TIFF to Lightroom. Not perfect, but it works.

So, back to the initial question: why would you need CNX2 to import? I do have both still, I use neither to import pictures: I use ViewNX, which is a) free and b) faster to run. Then, from there, I check the pics, delete those I'll never use, then import those I want to LR4.

CNX2? Haven't used it in months...
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member

It is ages since I used Capture. Unless it has changed out of all recognition LR is vastly superior

But a Nikon rep is not going recommend a rival product, anymore than he is going to recommend you jump ship to Canon

...2) is a greater loss which NIK plugins can compensate. Though in my case, the NIK are not on my shopping list, if I absolutely need u-points, I use CNX2, then export in TIFF to Lightroom. Not perfect, but it works....
    I don't know if you can get "SnapSeed" only for Mac and iOS. But it's from the same programmers and uses U-Points. I don't do much with it, but it's possible to run it as PlugIn in AA (and possibly in LR?)
  • @sevencrossing

While I'd agree 100% that a Nikon rep isn't going to necessarily recommend any other software, this chap is actually pretty good at thinking 'out of the box' and doesn't, as a general rule, promote things that don't work. However, in his case I don't think he's actually ever used LR...

+1 !!

@ GhostRider117

I tend to agree - however, I don't use ViewNX simply because A: LR does everything I want it to, and B: I'm used to it !

As it happens, I do have a suite of NIK plugins (which I've used once...) so u-points isn't a problem either.

Many thanks for taking the time to read/answer guys.
    @darkslide: I know such a Pro as well. He doesn't use special Software to manage his pics, he's sorting with Adobe Bridge, sometimes using NX2, sometimes he's going directly into Photoshop and opens his files with Adobe Raw Converter.

He's pretty good and able to think off the beaten track, he just doesn't want to learn another software 
    ^#(^
  • RatatoskrRatatoskr Posts: 32Member
    I have used most of the top photo editors and DAM's.
    I agree that a Nikon rep will of course prob only promote Nikon stuff, but I don't agree on any one software always being the best for all kinds of editing. I at times use Capture NX2 for certain photos that I just can't get as well edited in LR4. An LR guru can prob get the same good results in those specific photos but I can't and I certainly can't in as short a time as I can with NX2. But I do use LR4 more than NX2, and PS6 most of all since I often want the superior control I have in PS with layers and certain functions.
    LR4 imo beats any other software when it comes to DAM.

One has to remember that all camera brands have secrets to how their RAW files are created and so does Nikon. Nikon won't give out the specifics behind their NEF format so others can't adapt to it as perfectly as Nikon can. One area that Nikon software surpasses others is in only viewing the raw files (only NEF). It's SO much faster than any other and I always use ViewNX to sort through my thousands of photos after my photo session.

I would agree with many that learning a new software is a killer to moving to new software. I still haven't learned as much as I need to work effectively with CaptureNX. LR and especially PS I know very well.
    Man's heart away from nature becomes hard. - Standing Bear
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke
  • sohonycsohonyc Posts: 11Member
    I'd say Aperture 3 :)
  • TabazanTabazan Posts: 29Member
    Lightroom + Nik Software Suite. NX2 would be great if merged with some features of View NX (in some ways View NX is much more efficient).

NX2 is very disappointing (for the price). I place it sideways to DXO Optics Pro.

But for me LR is not the solution. Except for the editing part, the rest is not very "handy" and useful. Note that I also prefer LR 3 editing group. Personal opinion, as usual ;-) 
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Opinion based threads - don't you love 'em?

LR4 gets my vote any day and every day.  Not only because it usually does all I need, but also when I do need to do anything that it doesn't do, but that any of the available plug-ins can do, it is a piece of cake to do it.
    Always learning.
    For any other needing the best keyword software, LR is the king. My photos each have between 5 and 30 keywords (mostly around 10) and I need to have the best possible keyword tree structure possible and none beats LR and I've tested about 15 different DAM's.
    It has yet to be proven that intelligence has any survival value. - Arthur C. Clarke
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    My opinion is to use the right tool for the right job. In the darkroom days, that meant different papers, enlarger lenses, filters, and tools for dodging/burning, etc... In the digital era, every program has its characteristics that can be used to specific effect. $150 is cheap cheap cheap for the amount of engineering that goes into these programs. We all seem to justify the spend on cameras and lenses, why not software?

The answer is easy for me. Both. Well actually, I'll confess I have a problem. I have spent as much on software as hardware. CS6 master collection was my gateway drug and now everything else looks cheap. As the 30 day free trial for a new app counts down I get more and more anxious, until *boom* out comes the credit card. The Nik products rock in their own niches. HDRsoft is great, DxO for what it does can't be beat.

Don't even get me started on iPad apps...

Wow, this really turned into a confession.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member

It is ages since I used Capture. Unless it has changed out of all recognition LR is vastly superior

But a Nikon rep is not going recommend a rival product, anymore than he is going to recommend you jump ship to Canon
    +1

Lightroom touches 100% of my photos.  NX2 maybe 1% but when all else fails, NX2 can usually save an image or get's it to a point where then other programs can take it a bit further.  NX2 has it's uses, I just view it as a add-in like any of the Nik software.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • ... $150 is cheap cheap cheap for the amount of engineering that goes into these programs. We all seem to justify the spend on cameras and lenses, why not software? ...
    You're right of course, and after having just purchased the 24-120 (almost without a blink...) here I am 'complaining' about spending 150€ on what could possibly be the best bit of software ever.

I'm very happy with what I can get out of my original files with LR, I just wanted to know if 'general opinion' dictated/suggested that Capture de-mosaiced the NEF files any better
    :)>-
  • haroldpharoldp Posts: 984Member
    I use both NX2 and PS CS-5 ( I have cs6 but it is not yet installed)

NX2 auto correction of mapped nikon lens distortion, and lateral and axial chromatic aberation make a visible difference.

I also like NX2's batch workflow.

As an IT professional, I am more comfortable managing hierarchic directories, than with any software products proprietary storage protocol.

Most of my work gets very basic editing, well within NX2's capability. When more editing is needed, I will process to a tif and continue in CS-5.

If I had to get through thousands of shots each week, then lightroom would be a no  brainer, but I have not been a professional photographer since my film days and I can lavish time on a smaller number of photo's.

This is my first post on this forum, and I am happy to join.

Regards ... Harold

D810, D3x, 14-24/2.8, 50/1.4D, 24-70/2.8, 24-120/4 VR, 70-200/2.8 VR1, 80-400 G, 200-400/4 VR1, 400/2.8 ED VR G, 105/2 DC, 17-55/2.8.
    Nikon N90s, F100, F, lots of Leica M digital and film stuff.

• warprintswarprints Posts: 61Member
    I have NX2 and LR. I almost never use NX any more.
  • sohonycsohonyc Posts: 11Member
    My vote goes to Aperture :)
  • My vote goes to Aperture :)
    :)

Which is a perfectly valid opinion...sadly nothing to do with the original question 
    :P
    I guess they digressed a bit from the posters question and that's easy to do, but it is a little annoying getting recommendations for something that is not asked for. Better keep answers to what the forum poster asked for.