Nikon 1 Nikkor 6.7-13mm Wide Angle - Test Shots at 18-35mm @35mm Format

TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
edited March 2013 in Nikon 1
Since none of my wide angle lenses is a wide angle on the V1 bought the Nikkor 6.7-13mm to see how it performs on the V1. I will share the results here as not many of these lenses has shipped yet in the US.
Post edited by TriShooter on

Comments

• starralaznstarralazn Posts: 204Member
    cool! i look forward to the results : )
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    For photographers who bought the Nikon 1 series as a second camera with their DSLR, due to its lightness and portability
    The 6.7-13mm 18.9 to 35.1 in 35mm terms at F 5.6 @ 35.1. I don't think I personally will be rushing out to buy one
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    edited March 2013
    For photographers who bought the Nikon 1 series as a second camera with their DSLR, due to its lightness and portability
    The 6.7-13mm 18.9 to 35.1 in 35mm terms at F 5.6 @ 35.1. I don't think I personally will be rushing out to buy one
    Hi, Paul. I understand your feelings, but for what ends up being a good 18mm (the crop is actually a little smaller than 2.67) it is a fantastic lens. I plan to put my 10-30mm on the shelf because this is a much better lens. Better build, sharper, more contrast than the 10-30mm.
    edited March 2013
    cool! i look forward to the results : )
    Here you go:

Quick Test Shots - Nikon 1 NIKKOR 6.7-13mm f/3.5-5.6 VR - four 18mm shots @35mm format, and eight 35mm shots @ 35mm format, and five night shots using available light with exposures between .3 and 3 seconds at ISO 400 to test VR.

I made some comments on the set page, and under some the pictures. This lens is really a little jewel, and a complete joy to use on the V1. In short it simply blows my kit lenses away.
    edited March 2013
    Glad you are enjoying your new lens,TriShooter, I rarely shoot that wide hence the lens was not on my shopping list, I have a 14-24 on an Fx Nikon so if need be I have the necessary Lens., although again I don't use that much either, unless I need it for internal shots of buildings.
    As Nikon said when they brought out the 1 Series they are supplying an acceptable range of lenses for this format which looks like growing, I tend to just use one lens on the V2 the 10-100 and find this is a shoot all lens for my requirements.
    Post edited by paulr on
  • adamzadamz Posts: 842Moderator
    snaps look good. need to get one for my wife. BTW: I love her v1, it's such a tiny camera that gives soooo much.
    paulr, adamz - thanks guys. I am having fun seeing what I can get out of this little V1, and it is a fun camera to use. It is a kick to use with FT-1 and a 500mm lens as well.

paulr do you like the quality of the 10-100mm more than the kit lenses it replaces? I have read a lot of pros and cons, but have no hands on experience with that lens.
    TriShooter Without doubt this lens is magic, I got the first issue with electric zoom which is much better for video work, its really smooth and can be used very slowly, a must in video work. Quality of the images are excellent and I can compare with other pro Nikon Lenses I own. As I said it's the only lens I tend to use on V2,
    Only down side is its probably larger than the camera but after lugging Pro D3 's with heavy lenses around it's doing wonders for my back and shoulders!
    paulr, thank you for your feedback on the 10-100mm. I am in your court on the comparative weight of the 10-100mm being meaningless. I am going to add the 10-100mm to buy list.

Thank you again for sharing your first hand experience with this lens.
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    These test shots are very useful. Thank you.
    I am looking for a pocket camera and I'm still trying to make up my mind between Nikon V and Fuji X100.
    I think you've shown that I can't go wrong with the V; I already know the Fuji will be good.
    I think it'll boil down to whether or not I want interchangeable lenses or the larger sensor.

Thanks again.
    @shawnino - go for Nikon. as much as I like Fuji, it's a sort of disappointment that You can get the best of they cameras due to lack of full RAW support in LR/Aperture. If You go for V1 (IMHO the best quality to price factor on the market) get Richar Franiec's custom grip for it. it changes the handling of V1 dramatically.
    @AdamZ: Wow, I never realized that. Maybe this has already been covered to death, but is there a reason why the Fuji doesn't get full treatment in LR4? Thanks.
    the problem with Fuji is the way the sensor is build, as it doesn't have a standard Bayer pattern it's harder to reverse engineer it as Fuji doesn't give any documentation to neither Apple/Adobe/DXO. so basically, the only software where You can get full potential of Fuji's RAW files is it's own software.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    It does not use a bayer rgb sensor arangement, but rather what they call an "x-trans" arrangement that has proved tricky for raw converters, due to the larger matrix processing requirements. See:

http://chromasoft.blogspot.com/2012/05/demosaicing-fuji-x-pro1-and-its-x-trans.html

TriShooter Just for You, example 10-100 . Sorry everybody for going off topic

Autumn Light at Harewood House
    edited March 2013
    @shawnino. That is the kind of information one seldom finds reading reviews. Ironheart's images above show the strength and the weaknesss of Fuji's filter. I never understood why Fuji forced their customers to use their raw software to get the most out of their files.

I second Adamz's suggestion on getting Richard Franiec's V1 grip. It is machined aluminun especially for the V1. I do not know why anyone would ever want to remove this grip, but read somewhere that it can be done by sliding dental floss between the camera body and the grip without leaving any residual adhesive on the V1.

I liked the Fuji version of the D200 for its wonderful skin colors, but could not live with its slow write speed to memory. I gave mine to my son, but kept the FujiFilm F200EXR which was a fine little pocket camera in its day.

The X100 handles noise very well, but I have read that the fast lens is negated to some extent by softness at F/2 - 2.8. Low noise is tempting to me for action shots where a fast shutter speed is essential, especially with super telephoto lenses. But low noise is much less important to me in a walk around, or travel camera. I agree with AdamZ that the V1 is a big bang for the buck, while they are still available.

@paulr. This is a stunning picture with its perfect sky, the color of the light, and those nice long shadows adding depth to the image. Thanks for posting it here, so that I, and others interested in the V1 can see the potential of the 10-100mm lens in knowledgeable hands.