Strange glow

aquarian_lightaquarian_light Posts: 135Member
edited March 2013 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
See those little halos around the white bands of the lighthouse? I've been getting those around various high contrast subject. What is that, why is it there and how do I make it go away. >.>
Info: photo taken with off camera speed light, D800, 24-120 @ 24mm, ISO 100, f11, 1.3sec shutter. Edited fairly heavily in aperture for contrast, saturation, various dodges and burns. I checked all my masks, my brushes are even with the edge of the lighthouse, but those glows are only visible when I darken the area around the brightest parts of the frame next to much darker areas. as shot they aren't there but they show up regularly. Doesnt matter if i edit in aperture or photoshop...
D800E, 24-120 F4 VR, 50mm 1.8G, 85 1.8G, 28mm 3.5, 135mm 3.5
Tagged:

Comments

• PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    edited March 2013
    Usually it's a sign of over sharpening, and pumping up the definition slider to high.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • aquarian_lightaquarian_light Posts: 135Member
    Turning off the definition and sharpening lessened it, but alas, didn't remove it entirely
    I've gone through and flipped every setting on and off, none of my edits seem to be putting it there, just revealing it. in other words, each edit I did only made it more apparent. There wasn;t any one edit when turned off, got rid of the glow completely.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    In Aperture? It's likely due to the way Aperture converts RAW data. I often see this in my files as well, although never that bad unless I really crank the sharpening and definition slider.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • PapermanPaperman Posts: 469Member
    Basicly, whatever you're doing, you're overdoing it ...If you have high contrast areas, you will get halos when you clarify/sharpen/saturate/increase contrast etc - there is no surprise there. So why go so far to the limit faults are so obvious? After all, you are the one pushing it and then not liking it. So just don't go that far.
    Except for the fact I already said I've played with the settings, everything up, everything down. If you sit and look at the original image it's there. Just easier to see here.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    edited March 2013
    I see halos like that a lot on HDR or heavily processed images, I think you can get some software to de-halo your images if the rest of the look is what you want.
    Post edited by spraynpray on
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    I see a halo around the entire lighthouse....
    Msmoto, mod
  • blackfoxblackfox Posts: 48Member
    Would it be possible to clone this out after processing ,got to agree with the other comments ,so best try to cure after p.p
    Except for the fact I already said I've played with the settings, everything up, everything down. If you sit and look at the original image it's there. Just easier to see here.
    Are you saying you have the halo in the RAW image as well ? Or the JPEG as it is out of the camera ?
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi,

Did you have the camera on a tripod with VR on?

My best,

Mike
    Paperman
    Raw out of camera, have to kind of study it, but it's there.

MikeGunter
    One a tripod, VR off.
  • mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    maybe its radioactive

have you noticed yourself getting stronger/being able to fly?

its a nice shot either way :D

• DXV_PhotoDXV_Photo Posts: 160Member
    edited March 2013
    This seems to be common in HDR. Here is a link that talks about removing it in photomatix. Don't know if it will help you in this case.

http://www.giuseppesapori.com/how-to-fix-halos

this has photomatix and photoshop instructions.

http://hdrphotographer.blogspot.com/2013/01/tutorial-removing-halo-artifacts-in-hdr.html
    Post edited by DXV_Photo on
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I'd try running it through NX2 just for grins to see if the raw converter is the culprit.
    I say add the untouched / just converted from Raw version. Halos may happen at the slightest touch of anything - clarity/saturation/contrast/sharpness etc but should not occur before touching.
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    edited March 2013
    I get those all the time.

Found culprits:
    Camera
    D-lighting set above low or auto
    Changing contrast settings to high on the camera, with D-lighting on
    Using high-speed sync flash (dropping the background down a few stops) then in software adding clarity and contrast.
    Software
    LR4 (I'm sure the same effects happen with other software with the corresponding actions but different terms)
    - Pushing the "clarity" up,
    - Adding contrast above half way
    - Pushing "white" up while "Black" down

I generally can get it all the time when I increase saturation, clarity, white, and contrast, while decreasing the exposure, black point. I really get it when I use high-speed sync.

Shooting Raw helps reduce the effect but basically it is pushing the limit of the color in the file. I have also stopped shooting on the "vivid" setting on my camera and instead shoot "standard" with the "saturation" pushed 1 from the top. That has helped a lot.
    Post edited by TaoTeJared on
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
    He says he is seeing it in RAW, TTJ - that is what makes it a bit odd . I find it hard to believe.