Shootin in the pool

FozzyffpFozzyffp Posts: 23Member
edited March 2013 in General Discussions
Hey Everyone,

So its starting to get warm again down here in Florida, and Ive broken out my P&S TS3 again, problem is its super anti-hydrophobic now.

It shoots great under water, but now anytime i pull it out of the water there's a super thin film of water the always sticks to the center of the lens. it never used to behave like this so im assuming some factory coating has worn off. i cant take pictures out of the water until it evaporates or i towel it off. I was thinking of trying to apply a thin coating of rainx to the lens to help the water off but i figured i would ask some of you pros if you knew of any tricks before i end up doing damage to it.

Thanks, Fozz.
Post edited by Fozzyffp on

Comments

• JohnJohn Posts: 134Member
    I don't have a TS3 and I have only limited experience with using cameras underwater.
    However, it is unlikely that a camera designed for underwater use has a coating that will be worn of by exposure to water.
    The inverse might very well be true. A microscopic layer of sediment (salt, calcium,...) might have formed on the lens thereby allowing the water molecules to adhere to said lens.
    I would try to clean the lens (when dry) with a lens cleaning solution and a dry soft cloth (the type used to clean lenses and glasses and sold at camera stores and optometrists; quality is important when it comes to lens care).
    This will likely take care of the problem.
    However, if the issue persists then I would just use the soft cloth mentioned above to clean/dry the lens after exposure to water.
    Never put any “coating” on it. Not only might it damage the lens but it will definitely have a detrimental effect on the quality of the images. They will be less sharp and have more chromatic aberration.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    If there is no sign of anything 'on' the front of the lens, I would Rainex it. That stuff is molecules thick so how bad can it be and what do you have to lose? You could try it on a cheap filter taking picture of the same thing before and after to be sure.
    Always learning.
  • FozzyffpFozzyffp Posts: 23Member
    Thanks guys, I have a dslr for all my "serious pictures" this camera is more for fun. so im not too worried about it. I'll try and super clean it with my kit and if that dosent work i guess ill go for the rainx.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited March 2013
    My Rainex experience is that as the Rainex deteriorates, wears off, or whatever, it has to be replaced or it creates a foggy appearing film. This is on windshields of very fast automobiles, but it may do the same on the lens. Also, what reaction to the coating on the lens might it have.

I think I would contact Rainex and ask them is this is a recommended application.

Oh, and remember, pools have either a chlorine or bromine sanitizing agent. This must be rinsed from the camera just like we rinse after a time in salt water.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @msmoto: I certainly agree that Rainx can lead to misting, but I only ever found it caused by the windscreen wipers. Best option was always to drive without wipers and just the windspeed kept the screen chrystal clear for me (AMG Mercedes).

Don't forget that the action of water running off is different to droplets hitting the screen and exploding into smaller droplets too.

@Fozzy: Do let us know how it goes please.
    Always learning.