flikr missing pictures

mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
edited March 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
i have noticed sometimes pictures seem to vanish from my flikr photostream

does anyone else experience this problem?

and just so its clear: nothing happened at my end, i didnt delete it by accident or anything like that. it was there yesterday, and now its gone.

it makes me feel that it is unreliable as a storage area, and am beginning to think about moving to another provider

Comments

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Never had a problem myself, or heard of one before.
    Always learning.
  • mikepmikep Posts: 280Member
    i have noticed it happen occasionally

i have got a canned response email back from them saying that: "their records show the picture was deleted via a third party app, they dont know which app, they cant find out"

basically saying that its my fault. i know for a fact that it isnt my fault, as this week i haven been writing my dissertation and havent used lightroom, or edited any photos anywhere.

what is most telling however, is the fact that in my email to flikr, i didnt tell them which picture i was referring to :D just "a picture"

man their customer service is so bad. that is all i have ever received from them in the past too, canned responses, and ignorance. i am beginning to resent having paid them
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    Sorry to hear that Mikep I've been with Flickr for over 5 years with over 2500 images not lost one yet
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    well, its quite hard to tell amongst such a large number of photos. would you really notice if one or two went missing ?

i wouldnt have noticed, its just a had a blog and used flikr to host the images, and a few of the images that i had embedded on the blog became unavailable, then when i checked flikr they were mysteriously gone. i only had 500 pictures at that time.

i only noticed the one go missing today because it was the first image on my photostream, so i could hardly miss it ....

• itsnotmeyouknowitsnotmeyouknow Posts: 481Member
    It happened earlier on today. Some, but not all of my photos disappeared for a few hours
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    edited March 2013
    Photos may disappear when one does not have a Pro account. There is a 300MB limit to the photos you may upload each month. If you go beyond this, the older ones may get deleted.
    Post edited by Msmoto on
    Msmoto, mod
    They don't get deleted, they just get hidden from view. if you sign up to pro, they reappear. At least that was what happened in my case
    Thanks, itsnotmeyouknow
    Msmoto, mod
    here is some irony

yesterday, i re-added the image that was deleted, and today it hit number 1 on explore
    Let's see the image, Mike
    Msmoto, mod
    i have shown already on pad a few weeks ago, but

london eye
    Very nice...the technical aspects are so right on...5 seconds is perfect!
    Msmoto, mod
  • rschnaiblerschnaible Posts: 308Member
    edited April 2013
    mikeep, do you live in a country that "censors" the internet?
    Post edited by rschnaible on
    no, well, i live in the UK, i have no idea if they sensor anything, they probably all do

here is my conspiracy theory :

a day or two before it got deleted i saw that one of the referrers to the picture was the EDF energy website. EDF energy is the company that owns the london eye :/

not wild enough ? well lets get even crazier :

if you read my story in the other thread about being hassled by a security guard by the river in london for being on "private property", well it turns out that i was on public property the whole time. so, to make a complaint about this i sent two emails to EDF energy last week, since i assume it was one of their security guards who approached me.

veryyyy fishy

I don't think there is any censoring involved. Some of mine disappeared yesterday showing unavailable, but reappeared a few hours later. Not the first time its happened and won't be the last. The gremlins got into yahoo towers I suspect.
    nah i dont think its anything complicated, merely an interesting coincidence. most likely just an error from somewhere

simplest explanation is usually the correct one, as they say
  • TaoTeJaredTaoTeJared Posts: 1,306Member
    I have used a couple of iphone apps and even Lightroom uploads in the past that have deleted images. I just upload the old fashioned way now and go direct. I have heard that the loader from apple/mac (sorry I don't know the name as I use PCs) can really screw up flickr if do something. Wish I would have listened closer to know what it was to see if it was any help.
    D800, D300, D50(ir converted), FujiX100, Canon G11, Olympus TG2. Nikon lenses - 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, (5 in all)50mm, 60mm, 85mm 1.8, 105vr, 105 f2.5, 180mm 2.8, 70-200vr1, 24-120vr f4. Tokina 12-24mm, 16-28mm, 28-70mm (angenieux design), 300mm f2.8. Sigma 15mm fisheye. Voigtlander R2 (olive) & R2a, Voigt 35mm 2.5, Zeiss 50mm f/2, Leica 90mm f/4. I know I missed something...
  • paulrpaulr Posts: 1,176Member
    I am a mac user and I do watch my count number and it never goes down, just keeps going up
    Maybe I am lucky but don't seem to have the problems other members are having. ^:)^
    Camera, Lens and Tripod and a few other Bits
    I have managed to load about 2200 photos from my MacBook Pro to Flickr and have not had a problem I remember.....maybe that is the problem...I can't remember... :))

I have once or twice had Flickr hiccup, but have not lost any images.
    Msmoto, mod
    edited April 2013
    first they told me that :

"While we cannot determine which application deleted the photos..."

today they said :

"Upon reviewing your account, I have confirmed that your photos were in fact deleted via the Lightroom third-party app. Please be advised that there is a known bug that deletes photos from your Flickr photostream when you have iPhoto, Aperture or Lightroom authorized (note that you do not actually have to be using this app for this to occur - as long as its authorized the photos will be deleted). As such, I recommend contacting Adobe directly to advise of this bug and removing the Lightroom authorization to prevent further photo deletions"

lightroom was closed the whole time .... i dont know what to make of it. just a weird occurrence i guess. keep backups ....

**edit** mistake
    Post edited by mikep on