D800 Update 1.02 Now available

Comments

• JJ_SOJJ_SO Posts: 1,158Member
    Great. Just in time for the next indoor / lowlight / moving people event. Will update this evening.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    essential for those of you getting the 800 f5.6
  • Jester77Jester77 Posts: 3Member
    Subject tracking performance in AF-C improved.
    I always found this to be really slow on the D800, anybody else have the same problem?
    Difficult to tell. Best would be to compare one D800 with firmware update and one without. I'm just one D800 short 8-|
    Totally impressed. The AF accuracy has become better in very dim light. Now, the same for D7100, please [-O<
  • shawninoshawnino Posts: 453Member
    My camera won't update. I don't know what to do. I've followed Nikon's web page instructions. I downloaded and followed the PDF's instructions. (Same thing.)

The download to my computer from Nikon seemed to go ok. The folder and file showed up on cue.

In placing the .bin file on my formatted memory card, I've tried four different things:
    --up top, beside the DCIM folder that the formatting creates (which is what I think is suggested)
    --up top, and then DELETING the DCIM folder the formatting created, so the .bin file is literally the only thing on the card
    --inside the DCIM folder (not suggested--claims camera can't find it there... OK)
    --both up top AND inside the DCIM folder "at the same time" (what the heck...)

When I turn the D800E on and go to firmware version, it displays what I have A 1.00, B 1.01, L 1.006) but does not give me an option to update/upgrade. Just shows me what I've got. No matter which of three configurations I have on the card.

I've done this with two different SD memory cards, so I don't think it's the card. (I do not own CF cards.)

Suggestions gratefully appreciated.
  • hawkdl2hawkdl2 Posts: 56Member
    Just a guess, but are you certain you downloaded the firmware for the D800E and not the D800? I'm not certain, but I understand they are different and the D800E will not recognize the D800 firmware.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @shawnino: make sure your battery is fully charged.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    Thanks very much for your suggestions @hawkd12 and @Golf007sd. I will charge the battery tonight and get after that tomorrow. The battery idea I never thought of as it's not even showing update available, but I'm going to feel even "dumberer" than I usually do if it's an 800 vs 800E issue!

I will report back. In the interim I did double check some other stuff (make sure SD card slot is primary... my version of OS X is OK, etc...) and everything does appear in order.

If others have suggestions, please pile them on. I'm as tech savvy as the next guy, if the next guy has been in a coma since '78...
    I think it's solved--you're both correct. The 'update' option is now there after downloading D800E (!) but it's telling me my battery (3/5) is too weak (!!).
    Thanks very much.
  • hawkdl2hawkdl2 Posts: 56Member
    Glad to hear it was something simple.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    @shawnino: Cheers...enjoy.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
    Mine didn't even update with a full battery grip under it. Had to remove it first, and the EN-EL15 battery was fully charged - probably they were afraid that in 3-4 minutes the 10MB big bin file would empty the battery? At least I got an error message.
    Updated--thanks lads. But I had to insert/reinsert the fully charged battery four times.