D7000 firmware update - worth it?

spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
edited April 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
While I was on the Nikon site reading that the new firmware update for the D7000 only affects compatibility with the new 80mm lens (!), I received an email from Nikon telling me that some important updates are available and I should update my firmware. I am A=1.02 and B=1.03, and the new updates incremented to A=1.03 & B=1.04.

Anybody know why A & B have changed and whether this reflects that there is more changed than just the compatibility with a lens I will never own?
Always learning.

Comments

• Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    It has been my practice that when Nikon comes out with a firmware update, I just do it. According to Nikon these are the issue the update addresses:

Support for the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR has been added.
    Modifications enabled with this upgrade of firmware, release date November 10, 2011

An error where the card may not have been recognized when some memory cards were used has been addressed.
    The following issues occurred when the mode dial was rotated from U1 or U2 to another shooting mode or from another shooting mode to U1 or U2 when the power was off or when the exposure meters are off (Auto meter-off). These issues were resolved.
    A new folder is sometimes created despite the fact that the current folder does not yet contain 999 files and none of the files are numbered “9999”.
    The number of remaining exposures may not be displayed as specified in the settings.
    The setting for Role played by card in Slot 2 may change between Overflow, Backup, and RAW Slot 1- JPEG Slot 2.
    An issue where Battery info in the setup menu sometimes showed sufficient remaining charge even when the remaining charge for the AA batteries inserted in the MB-D11 battery pack was low has been resolved.
    An issue where a saved photo may not have been displayed properly when a movie was displayed in playback mode while saving the photo has been resolved.
    An issue where zoom in or zoom out may not have performed properly when the playback zoom in or playback zoom out button was pressed while in Live view has been resolved.
    The message displayed when the internal memory of the Wireless Transmitter WT-4 is formatted from the Format transmitter's memory under Device settings in Wireless transmitter of the camera’s setup menu was changed from Done to Built-in memory formatted.
    The message displayed when the internal memory of the Wireless Transmitter WT-4 is formatted from the Format transmitter's memory under Device settings in Wireless transmitter of the camera’s setup menu was changed from Done to Built-in memory formatted.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    @Golf007: I do normally too but if it were just for the lens compatibility like the Nikon UK site said, I wouldn't bother.

I quote "Support for the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm f/5.6E FL ED VR has been added." but it seems you go more info which does make it worthwhile.

Thanks for that, I'll let the dust settle before I download and install it though. ;)
    Always learning.
  • blackfoxblackfox Posts: 48Member
    surely golf007 the updates your quoting here below the 800mm upgrade ,have been in force since nov 10 ,2011 as in your post .therefore the only new upgrade is enable a lens that most of us will never own ????
  • proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    You've got to appreciate Golf's optimism. If you believe the 800mm is in your future maybe it will be.
  • heartyfisherheartyfisher Posts: 3,186Member
    surely golf007 the updates your quoting here below the 800mm upgrade ,have been in force since nov 10 ,2011 as in your post .therefore the only new upgrade is enable a lens that most of us will never own ????
    Yeah it sounds like those other fixes have already been in the previous patch...

Moments of Light - D610 D7K S5pro 70-200f4 18-200 150f2.8 12-24 18-70 35-70f2.8 : C&C very welcome!
    Being a photographer is a lot like being a Christian: Some people look at you funny but do not see the amazing beauty all around them - heartyfisher.

I would like think we would all love to have the 800mm. That said, by the time it is obtainable, we just much be on looking at the D9100 or so. :P
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • TriShooterTriShooter Posts: 219Member
    I am in Golf007sd's corner on firmware updates. Manufacturers are prone to only mention the public fixes people know about, but also known to make other changes that are minor but worthwhile. I am seldom the first one to update, unless I am suffering from a glitch that is specifically addressed by the firmware change. Nikon's updates are usually very reliable, and very easy to implement.

I hope Nikon's new 800mm lens is in everyones future. lol. Meanwhile, I will continue to enjoy my Mirror-Nikkor 50cm f/5.0 lens with no VR, no auto-focus, no auto-metering, and manual focus with a TC-200 or TC-201, and get close to the same results with a little more effort. ;D
  • NSXTypeRNSXTypeR Posts: 2,286Member
    I thought the fix was just for the 800mm. Maybe I'll take a look at it later on, I have yet to get the hang of it anyway.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
    @Trishooter @Golf: Looking at Nikons other firmware updates, they don't seem averse to stating what bugs etc. they have fixed so I can't be sure they have done more than they said this time. With their track record for open communication I doubt we will ever get to the bottom of it.
    Always learning.
    @TriShooter & spraynpray: I agree with you both that manufactures, be it Nikon, Apple, Microsoft, etc..etc. don't always fully disclose the issues their firmware updates address; hence, why I always implement firmware updates when they are provided.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    The info that any OEM posts about a firmware or software upgrade is what the engineers documented and told marketing they fixed. The engineers (being engineers) will have implemented "undocumented" fixes for "undocumented" issues. The technical term for that is a "tweak" :-) They may not have even told their manager...
    @Golf: Thinking about it a bit more now, they probably would not have just done that upgrade for the 800mm as probably only 0.0001% of D7k owners would get one so there probably are 'tweaks' and other stuff even if it isn't written.

@Ironheart: Thanks for the insight into that world. :-B
    Always learning.
    I'm about 8 years late to this, but I just decided to see if it was worth updating firmware on my D7000 too. I'm on A =1.02 and B = 1.03 as well.

Anyone still using a D7000 and updated their firmware? Any noticeable difference? Is it even worth updating?

Also a side note, this is nearly impossible to do unless you have access to older computers. I happen to still own a MacBook running OSX 10.6 and I was just able to update a Sony RX100 Mk1 to its newest firmware and on brief use seems much snappier. I'll have to do something similar with the D7000, download the files on my newer Mac and boot up the older one to upgrade the firmware.
    Nikon D7000/ Nikon D40/ Nikon FM2/ 18-135 AF-S/ 35mm 1.8 AF-S/ 105mm Macro AF-S/ 50mm 1.2 AI-S
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    I updated my mum’s D7000 to the newest firmware last summer. Better, worse, no idea. It works.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
    Yes, I just updated it. I don't know what's different, maybe AF might be a slight bit more assertive and hunts less, but I can't tell for sure. But it feels good that I updated it without bricking the camera.

The RX100 updated successfully too.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    D7000 .....memories of a bygone age.
  • ggbutcherggbutcher Posts: 390Member
    Cripes, thought I'd woken up into a dream...

Compelled me to pick up my D7000 and check, A=1.04, B=1.05. What a beefy-feeling camera, compared to the Z 6...

D7000 .....memories of a bygone age.

You make it sound like I'm shooting daguerrotypes. It wasn't that long ago.

Although the D7000 is almost 11 years old now.
    edited June 2021
    Just a thing of the times, anything before 2010 is considered prehistoric times in some people’s minds now.
    Post edited by PB_PM on
  • mhedgesmhedges Posts: 2,881Member
    The pace of life now makes me feel like anything more than about 4 years ago is prehistoric!
    edited June 2021
    Twinkle in the corner of the eye, “oooh shiny object! Everything before that was Stone Age tech!” Marketing departments drool when they hear people say this. There is a reason advertising companies, and big corporations hire psychologists to work for them. ;) It really works. The rake you got last year cannot possibly rake as well as the 2021 model. :D
    Post edited by PB_PM on
    PB_PM said:

Just a thing of the times, anything before 2010 is considered prehistoric times in some people’s minds now.

mhedges said:

The pace of life now makes me feel like anything more than about 4 years ago is prehistoric!

For sure! As far as technology is concerned, it's positively ancient. I'd like a more modern DSLR for sure, but as long as it works I have no reason to upgrade.
  • PistnbrokePistnbroke Posts: 2,443Member
    My classic jaguar is twice as old as your D7000 but I still enjoy it ......