what to buy with 100 dollars

VipmediastarVipmediastar Posts: 55Member
edited April 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
I have a 100.00 gift from my wife for anything that I want. I feel special.

So far I thought about an Infrared filter for my D800 with the 24-70. I own Nik software and it has a infrared filter option but I was considering the actual physical filter.
I have the Cokin P system and use it with the polarizer and ND filters.

I want to give a little creativity to my shooting. Something different for a project this year. I don't have graduated ND filters and I also wanted to get the highest stop possible like the Lee 10 stop and I would pay the balance.

Normally I know what I want and I want to make a great decision with this gift.

Input is greatly appreciated. This spring I'm looking to do lighting photos with my strike finder and in the summer go to the woods, lakes, rivers and do slow shutter photos.

Thanks
Post edited by Vipmediastar on
www.vipmediastar.com

Comments

• proudgeekproudgeek Posts: 1,422Member
    I recently purchased a B+W 10 stop filter and have been very pleased. Only about $200.
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    If you don't have a CPL, consider getting one of those as well. They really come in hand when doing lake shots in cutting down the glare.
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    Flash modifiers, filters, camera workshops, Photoshop workshops (did one yesterday money well spent) or books - don't just limit yourself to gear.
    Always learning.
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Maybe take your wife to a very nice restaurant.......or, purchase a ND filter like a B & W. IMO the graduated filters introduce four more reflective surfaces while the single value filters only two surfaces.
    Msmoto, mod
  • JohnJohn Posts: 134Member
    The D800 is very insensitive to infrared (or so I've read) so it might not be very useful for IR photography.
  • VipmediastarVipmediastar Posts: 55Member
    Good to know on the insensitivity.
    We usually eat out on weekends and this is her gift to me so I'm going to take it.

I have backup tripod, battery , memory card, neck strap, flash modifiers, Nikon flash, alien bees with several modifiers and etc.

I have been collecting gear to retire into photography one day/something to fall on if I ever need a job/extra money and start working into a portfolio. I took me several years slowly building up and I just need to schedule people and projects In.

I would prefer some more lens but for now I'll go with something small like a filter. Maybe a Nikon or third party remote with a shutter lock.

I don't need software for the moment. A class would be nice but I like to read and experiment.
    www.vipmediastar.com
  • Benji2505Benji2505 Posts: 522Member
    buy some gels for your flashes.
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    A few months subscription to Kelby Training
  • GarethGareth Posts: 159Member
    The obvious question is what sort of photos do you shoot. I would argue that if it's anything to do with people, and only $100 to spend, a light mod of some sort would be your best bet.
  • MikeGunterMikeGunter Posts: 543Member
    Hi,

Take her to dinner.

My best,

Mike
  • GodlessGodless Posts: 113Member
    Hi,

Take her to dinner.

My best,

Mike
    +1

Can´t spend the money on anything better than that. May be a worthwhile investment in the long run.

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Since you said you already take her out once a week, try this: Have a professional make-up artist make her up, put on her favorite dresses and do a photo shoot! Or get a solmeta Geotagger N-1 ($99). This is way better than the Nikon GP-1
    http://www.solmeta.com/Product/show/id/4

Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • PhotobugPhotobug Posts: 5,751Member
    Recommend you buy a good ND filter or an ExpoDisk. Also consider buying ND Grad filter. Two of these are more than $100 but your gift card reduces your out of pocket expense. I have found great uses for all three of these. Good luck with your decision and be sure to give your spouse an extra kiss and "I love you honey" for such a thoughtful gift. Always keep the wife happy and the photo expenditures come easier.
    D750 & D7100 | 24-70 F2.8 G AF-S ED, 70-200 F2.8 AF VR, TC-14E III, TC-1.7EII, 35 F2 AF D, 50mm F1.8G, 105mm G AF-S VR | Backup & Wife's Gear: D5500 & Sony HX50V | 18-140 AF-S ED VR DX, 55-300 AF-S G VR DX |
    |SB-800, Amaran Halo LED Ring light | MB-D16 grip| Gitzo GT3541 + RRS BH-55LR, Gitzo GM2942 + Sirui L-10 | RRS gear | Lowepro, ThinkTank, & Hoodman gear | BosStrap | Vello Freewave Plus wireless Remote, Leica Lens Cleaning Cloth |
  • framerframer Posts: 491Member
    Go to a good florist, tell them to you want a special arrangement sent to your wife. They will ask what you want to spend say $100. When it comes time for the card, just write, "Tonight" nothing else.

Hey, a $100 really does get you much these days, make it count.

framer
  • VipmediastarVipmediastar Posts: 55Member
    Good suggestions EVERYBODY.

Actually this week she is getting a professional makeup artist help her with her newest make up purchase. We did talk about afterwards doing a shoot. I think I'll use one flash in the back and a beauty dish in the front with the 85mm 1.8g.
    I already have an expo disk that I use to set the white balance in the studio/living room. I purchased the color flash gels from Paul c buff that I seldom use but use it if I want a little creativity.

I think I'm going with the 10 stop ND Filter. I really wanted to do some infrared but I'll probably convert a few photos with NIK.

www.vipmediastar.com
  • JohnJohn Posts: 134Member
    I would also love to give infrared a try but the "problem" is that modern sensors are much better at detecting only the visible light.

For people who want to try infrared photography using a filter this means extremely long exposure times and a lot of hard work. But for normal photography (the kind for which the camera is make) this means better colors and less chances of strange results.

Now the question is how this reduced sensitivity for IR is attained. As far as I have read it's mostly do to a better IR blocking filter positioned before the sensor. (As opposed to a having a sensor that's not sensitive to IR radiation) But this is only internet hearsay so do take it with a lot of caution.
    If this information is correct then there are two ways to make (digital) IR photos.
    - Take your old(est) digital camera and put an IR filter on the lens.
    The old camera will probably be a lot more sensitive to IR radiation.
    - Take whatever camera you like and have it permanently converted to an IR camera by having the IR blocking filter removed. Note that this also destroys the auto dust off function of cameras such as the D800.

If you have an analogue camera you might also want to take a look at IR film. I've never used it but it doesn't require a filter or a modified camera. It's not easy to use (you have to load the film in the camera in the dark and you need to store the films in a cold place, you can't verify the results on a LCD screen, you have to scan the results,...) but it might be fun if you only want to give it a try.
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    @ Vipmediastar, I think you will enjoy the 10 stop ND filter especially for smoothing out water and clouds with 30second or more exposures in otherwise normal scenes. Creates art instead of routine snaps.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• mattmatt Posts: 2Member
    You may get some accessories for the Nikon D800, such as shutter release, external battery, etc.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=refone&index=electronics-uk&search-type=ss
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    I want to give a little creativity to my shooting.
    hang on for Lightroom 5
    (you can get the beta version free )

• NoXiNNoXiN Posts: 123Member
    I use and IR filter on my D70 and it works very well. I use the same filter on my D700 and it doesn't work so well. You can probably pick up a cheap D70 now.
  • Nick0nNick0n Posts: 3Member
    My last purchase was a large trigrip diffusor.

It makes lovely portraits in harsh sunlight.
  • FlowtographyBerlinFlowtographyBerlin Posts: 477Member
    edited May 2013
    +1 for the diffusor (ideally a diffusor/flag) or an ND filter, there's so much stuff you can do with these things.

Speaking of ND filters, has anyone ever checked out these Haida filters? Just recently heard of those, and was wondering if anyone has ever used them and knows if they can keep up with more expensive options?
    Post edited by FlowtographyBerlin on