D600 Discussions, Questions, and Answers

MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
edited December 2012 in D6x0/D7x0/D8x0
This is for the D600 issues....thank you.
Msmoto, mod

Comments

• vincentjamesvvincentjamesv Posts: 3Member
    Don't know if this is specifically for issues or just general D600 talk, but.....I can say I am very excited to get my D600 soon. I am switching back to my first brand (Nikon) and upgrading in a sense from what I've had so I am looking forward to a new tool to master!
  • MsmotoMsmoto Posts: 5,398Moderator
    Great choice...welcome....
    Msmoto, mod
  • Golf007sdGolf007sd Posts: 2,840Moderator
    Great choice...welcome....
    +1
    D4 & D7000 | Nikon Holy Trinity Set + 105 2.8 Mico + 200 F2 VR II | 300 2.8G VR II, 10.5 Fish-eye, 24 & 50 1.4G, 35 & 85 1.8G, 18-200 3.5-5.6 VR I SB-400 & 700 | TC 1.4E III, 1.7 & 2.0E III, 1.7 | Sigma 35 & 50 1.4 DG HSM | RRS Ballhead & Tripods Gear | Gitzo Monopod | Lowepro Gear | HDR via Promote Control System |
  • DHendoDHendo Posts: 3Member
    edited December 2012
    Hi,
     This is my first post on a forum ever. I hope i'm in the right thread. 

I have a D600 and have been loving it to bits. I upgraded from a 5D II. 
    I've been using it a ton and I noticed that all my lenses seem to benefit from a micro adjustment of about -10.
    I've done proper calibration tests of all sorts to confirm this. 
    I'm using the 50 f/1.4, 28 f/1.8 and 16-35 f/4. 

My question is, do you think i should take the body into Nikon to have calibrated?
    Is there a down side to adjusting everything -10, or should i just live with it?
    Thanks in advance for the advice.  

Post edited by DHendo on
    D600, 16-35 f/4 VR, 28 1.8G, 50 1.4G, Samyang 85 1.4.
  • PB_PMPB_PM Posts: 4,494Member
    There is nothing wrong with having to calibrate your lenses, but having your lenses and camera alined for one another is nice as well. That being said, as long as the focus fine tune works, might as well save yourself the expense of shipping the camera and lenses off to Nikon.
    If I take a good photo it's not my camera's fault.
  • IAPIAP Posts: 1Member
    D600 + CamRanger?
    Has anyone used this combination to take a series of bracketed shots greater than the D600's limitation of 3 shots in a series?
  • CorrelliCorrelli Posts: 135Member
    My question is, do you think i should take the body into Nikon to have calibrated?
    Is there a down side to adjusting everything -10, or should i just live with it?
    Thanks in advance for the advice.  

I was in a similar position short time ago, only with a D700 and four prime lenses. I was sure my 85 mm f/1.8 was off a little bit as well as the 28 f/1.8. The other two lenses I was not really sure. As everything was still under warranty I decided to send the whole lot in. On the 85 they aligned the lenses, the 28 was set to +4 (using proper equipment - not my setup) and the other two where ok.

So I would recommend, if the stuff is still under warranty send it in. If not and you are happy with the results after your adjustments, keep shooting and don't worry.
    Just a note:

There is a separate thread just about the D600 sensor oil/dirt problem as this is a highly significant issue.

Msmoto, mod
  • dgrindgrin Posts: 1Member

I am excited to upgrade my Nikon equipment.  What are your thoughts on purchasing a refurbished camera?

Thank you for sharing your insight!

;dgrin

I think with the newer bodies this is an excellent way to go.  Nikon refurbished cameras are generally brought up to new specs and have been hand selected in a way, as the examination process is very complete.  For example a refurb D300s is about $1000 while the original is $1700.  The down side is only a short, 90 day warranty
    Msmoto, mod
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

@dgrin, with the unknown resolution to the D600 "spots" problem, I'd be hesitant to buy one of those with just a 90 day warranty.  Just one thing to throw into the decision process. 

• spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    I don't know about the 'states, but here in the UK, if a problem is found during the warranty period and continues through the end of the warranty, it is still the manufacturers problem until it is fixed.
    Always learning.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    spraynpray how would you document this happened during the warranty period. Would you call them and say you have a problem and you can't send it until next month which might be past the warranty period. I don't know but you might be able to do that here.
  • spraynprayspraynpray Posts: 6,545Moderator
    It is the responsibility of the Nikon Service Centre to administer items by serial number and know when/why it was returned.  Same as a car or anything else, if the problem started during warranty, repairs/rework has to continue until it is fixed regardless of in or out of warranty period.

In fact in the UK, I think car manufacturers have a relatively small number of attempts to fix a car before they have to replace it with a new one but I am not sure that is a law, just a customer service policy.
    Always learning.
  • Parke1953Parke1953 Posts: 456Member
    Ok i understand it now. I think it might be somewhat the same here. We have the lemon law if they cant fix it in some (don't know the number) number of days it is replaced with new or refunded.
  • MIkeAMIkeA Posts: 20Member
    What is the best "walk around" lense for the D600?
    24-120mm f/4 VR Nikkor or if a zoom is not desired it is anyone's guess.  I walk around with a 135mm or sometimes with 24mm.
    Msmoto, mod
  • sevencrossingsevencrossing Posts: 2,800Member
    What is the best "walk around" lense for the D600?

another vote for the 12-120 f4 vr 

• lasr69lasr69 Posts: 1Member
    Hi,
    This is my first post on this forum. My D600 came a week ago, almost the right size (0.5 cm taller would make a better grip), easy to carry around, easy to get used to the interface after playing around for a while, compatible with my old Nikkor lens, more than enough resolution, great dynamic range, fantastic high ISO, AF is fast and accurate even in low light, just needed to focus and recompose a bit since they are a bit clustered in the centre. Fantastic camera? It could be if I didn't get a lemon. Err message once in a while after three days, almost on every shot on the fourth day, mirror locks on top and the diaphragm closes more than expected for the selected aperture. Tried different Nikkor lens which work well on other Nikon camera, different approved cards, recharged battery, ... It seems some kind of overheating since after playing with menus things get worse, and when leaving the camera for a few hours things go back to normal. I'm going to return it to the seller in the original packaging within the 14 days period and see what happens. First bad experience with a Nikon camera (not that I buy cameras frequently). Did I get unlucky? Should I need luck? I'm I the only one? Going through different forums doesn't seem so. What happened to reliability, control quality and all the stuff that makes people marry (if you start buying lens after a while you are married for life) with a brand? Kind regards, lasr69
  • tigermeattigermeat Posts: 2Member
    I bought Nikon D600 several months earlier. Recently, I noticed that my bracketing menu (e6) is greyed out. As such I cannot select the bracketing option. Can someone tell me what I have to do to restore the bracketing option. I know I can reset everything but that would be painful. Thanks.
  • AdeAde Posts: 1,071Member
    My guess is you have the camera in one of the SCENE modes or U1, U2.

See if the menu appears with a different mode setting (P, S, A, M or Auto).
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    I'll second what @Ade said, and note the following:

Page 241 in your manual: Note that white balance bracketing is not available at image quality settings of NEF (RAW) or NEF (RAW) + JPEG

So depending on what you have chosen, this may be in effect as well. If you can't figure it out, do a two-button reset as some the settings you have chosen may be in conflict with Bracketing. Like for instance you can't combine HDR and bracketing. See page 139 for that. RTFM (Read The Fine Manual) and you may find your answer :-)
  • tigermeattigermeat Posts: 2Member
    Thanks Ade and Ironheart. Will check out the camera when I get home from work later today. Thanks.
  • roombarobotroombarobot Posts: 201Member

You know, I wish the camera gave some more indication of why it can't do something. I remember when the mirror lock-up was greyed out and it turned out it was because my battery wasn't over some percentage full. I wish it would have told me that, I was confused for a bit and wouldn't have guessed it had to do with the battery's charge level.
    P 303 of the manual
    Msmoto, mod