Rattle from onboard flash on D800E

cowleystjamescowleystjames Posts: 74Member
edited May 2013 in Nikon DSLR cameras
When the onboard flash is down, if I rotate my D800e I get a rattle from that area, almost as if a weight is moving up and down. With the flash up, the camera doesn't do this.
It sounds a bit like the aperture lever on a TC 17II moving, noticeable but quieter.
All appear to be working correctly.
Does anybody elses do this bearing in mind the camera is three weeks old?
What's your thoughts on this?
Post edited by Msmoto on

Comments

• IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Did a search on "flash rattle". These are the first two hits:
    http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=5517&page=4
    http://nikonrumors.com/forum/topic.php?id=3990
    Apparently this is completely normal for a D800
  • Rx4PhotoRx4Photo Posts: 1,200Member
    I think it's a known thing. Not an issue. I'm not at home to look right know but I think there are tiny washers on each side of the flash extention mechanism which, when extended are pulled tight - but when the flash is down there's a tiny bit of play in them. I believe it's made that way so that the flash is free to pop up quickly instead of being delayed by friction.
    D800 | D7000 | Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8 | 24-70mm f/2.8 | 70-200mm f/2.8 | 35mm f/1.8G | 85mm f/1.4G | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 Art | Sigma 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM | Zeiss 100mm Makro-Planar ZF.2 | Flash controllers: Phottix Odin TTL

• cowleystjamescowleystjames Posts: 74Member
    Many thanks guys, the sound is a bit disconcerting but this seems to have alaid my fears that I have a fault.
    Just a bit miffed that my old D90 and my D7100 don't "rattle" like this and they're half the price or less!
    Okay, decided to take matters into my own hands after the store I bought it from wouldn't entertain replacing it for the "rattle" that was there.
    Despite spending over £4000 on body, grip and lens.
    But they did pull another one from stock and it exhibited exactly the same noise.
    Okay, back to square one.
    From all the reports on various forums and you guys, pointing me in the right direction, I removed the screw holding the sliding arm from one side of the flash,and examined the arm.
    Then I figured that a little bit of delicate bending of the arm may take up the play, which appeared to be the back end of the arm on a mushroom piece of metal fixed to the flash arm.
    After the tiniest of bending with very small watch makers pliers, i reassembled it.
    Hey presto, not a sound, I didn't even need to bend the other sliding arm.
    So one arm had far more tolerance than the other it seems.
    Now I'm happy, shouldn't have had to do it on a £2500 electronic item, but well worth it.
  • IronheartIronheart Posts: 3,017Moderator
    Good luck with your fix. Let us know if you have any issues down the road, as I'm sure there was a reason for the amount of play in the mechanism. Be curious to know if you ever see any binding or a less than full deployment of the flash. I know if I'm wearing a baseballl cap that the bill will sometimes push the flash down just a wee bit and subsequently case the flash not to fire when I wanted it to causing a missed shot.
    I'll keep you posted, but the flash does seem to still raise fully.
    Good luck with your fix. Let us know if you have any issues down the road, as I'm sure there was a reason for the amount of play in the mechanism. Be curious to know if you ever see any binding or a less than full deployment of the flash. I know if I'm wearing a baseballl cap that the bill will sometimes push the flash down just a wee bit and subsequently case the flash not to fire when I wanted it to causing a missed shot.
    Tried the flash over 28 shots and there's no bind, best of all, no rattle!

• RenardRichie13RenardRichie13 Posts: 51Member
    My Nikon d800 flash rattles the same way you described.
    It doesnt bother me. it just a loose spring thingy, it hasn't break yet.
    I also never use the onboard flash as i always put my SB700 or sb910 up there.